Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: considering selling my 6gc
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
6gcpr
This is not something i want to do but due to my situation....my wife has to use my dd corolla to work because it is the reliable of the two cars we have here. Her car is a 1984 honda civic which has become a money pit and i do not wish put anymore money into it really. Currently the civic is up for sale but don't believe i can get enough money to get a decent car. Which is why im contemplating selling my project celica. Hell, the other day someone came to see the civic and found himself more interested in my celica. I need advice from my fellow brothers here in 6gc.net
Xander_X
Family comes first bro ... just sayin. I'd hate to sell my Celica, or any of my toys for that matter, but when it comes down to it, my woman comes first.
Box
What's all needed for the Celica to become a daily driver? If it's not much sell the Civic and use that to make the Celica a daily. If the Celica needs a lot done to it, sell it and the Civic and take that money to put towards a good daily driver.
JohanFer
Box is right, although looking at your car from your profile, it seems that it still needs a lot of work to be done. I would sell them both and then get a reliable car.
trdproven
tough decision your 84 is too old and your celica needs work. Selling one, wouldn't get you a decent car still, you would have to sell both, but at the same time when and if the chances will be possible to sell 1 and if possible when will you be able to sell the 2nd to get all the money needed. what about transportation in the meantime. Thats tough, if you could sell the celica, and put down a little more money, maybe its possible. I could care less what the celica folks here say, if you gotta sell it, sell it.
6gcpr
Thanks everyone for their input, it is greatly appreciated. As much as im considering selling the celi, my wife knows all the blood sweat and tears that i have put into the car and really doesn't want me to sell it, plus she likes it. Anywho, if i cant sell it, i probably have a better chance in parting it out. Who wants jdm taillights and projectors??
Syaoran
It's kinda sad that you have to sell it... But given the current state of the car I don't think you'd have much luck doing so, at least not more than the Civic, around here. You'd have much more luck parting it out like you said, you could get much more than what you paid for it in just random engine parts. I need a couple of things myself, and I'd be up for grabbing the tails and projectors if you could wait. I'm local so it should be easier than shipping tongue.gif
Tigawoods
PROJECTORS!!!
give em. but keep the celi.
trdproven
how much could you really get by parting it? you gotta have more than just the projectors and tails to part, what other good condition stuff you have on it?
Box
Projectors and tails alone are about $700. redface.gif
Syaoran
QUOTE (trdproven @ Aug 7, 2012 - 11:12 PM) *
how much could you really get by parting it? you gotta have more than just the projectors and tails to part, what other good condition stuff you have on it?

a good running engine, working transmission, interior bits, etc. that he could sell for small amounts of money that could stack to well over a grand... hes got riser blocks, fully functional and nonbroken projector and clear highs, kouki style tails almost new, a 2-post spoiler, a front bumper, etc...
6gcpr
Besides what syaoran mentioned, stock headlights, jdm power folding mirrors, exterior stock pieces. The runs like a dream.
Box
If the car runs fine, then what's keeping it from being a daily driver?
6gcpr
The cars fine and everything but if you look at my project thread, the left quater panel and door has a collision impact. Which is the reason why the previous owner sold it to me in $250. But the impact is easily fixable. I've already been quoted at $300 to pull and fix the impact, $200 for an alternated and battery. Then there's the paint job, i've alrealdy sanded it down but the paint job is going to cost me a pretty penny. But i was thinking about doing a plastidip job while i save up for paint plus it would be a fun little project for me to do
Box
If it runs and is safe, keep it and drive it. Who cares what it looks like, that can be fixed over time.
Syaoran
I agree with box. If the collision didn't damage the rear suspension in any way and the car runs fine, I would fix the collision and paint the car yourself. You've already sanded it down, you could buy a spray gun from home depot (they sell the wagner double duty for I think $80 here) and you could do a matte, satin or gloss black on the car with a nice quality paint and save tons on labor. Our car has 2 big windows and 4 small ones so masking shouldn't be that hard!

Keep the celi, it's looking awesome and it would be unique around here really.
6gcpr
Thanks guys, when i initially bought the car, i set out to do the car right, to do it justice and represent it the way it should be in the streets of puerto rico, syaoran can tell you the 6gc is a rarity over here on the island
Box
Given time you'll be able to make it how you want. Can sell the Civic to pay for alternator, battery, and maybe some other things for the Celica. The wife continues to drive the Corolla, and the Celica becomes your daily/project. Also ditto on trying to repair the collision damage and painting yourself.
6gcpr
Box, considering my 2 week vacation starts on the 25th, im hoping to do a lot to the car. The guy who quoted me to pull out the impact can fix it and return the car to me in 3 days. We'll see what happens, already have somebody interested in the civic and tomorrow im going to see a mkIII Supra for daily usesuses
Box
MKIII Supra, had one those. I want one again, but this time preferably turbo and manual. If it wasn't for me being a cheap bastard when it comes to paying for gas, would probably had gotten one. Even now I think of selling the Celica for even more fuel efficient vehicles. kindasad.gif
6gcpr
Get a corolla, nice and reliable. I've had mine for six years now and it has never given me problems. Mine is the top of the line 1995 corolla with a sunroof and it over 264,000 miles on the 7afe engine, don't think i'll ever sell it. Are mkIII supras any good? I know it sucks a lot of gas but i only drive 30 minutes to work
Box
Corolla gets the same gas mileage as my 7A-FE Celica, and I don't do sedans. (Yes, I'm mental) I'm looking more at the likes of a Del Sol at least, and if I could find a Civic VX I'd be set.

If you're getting a MKIII Supra go manual. 90-92 manual base Supra weighed 3,463 and the auto added another 100 pounds or so. So almost a 3,600 pound car pushed by 200hp through a slush box. 90-92 manual Turbo weighed 3,534 and had 232hp. I found another weight of 3,389 for the manual base model, but I'm guessing that'd be for the 86.5-89 since in 1990 they added an airbag and everything that goes along with that. Personally I wouldn't get another unless it was a manual turbo. Considering the base and turbo get the same gas mileage, kind of silly not to. I'm kind of biased toward the MKIII Supra, was my first car so I'm terribly nostalgic for another one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.