Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fluids tune up etc.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mi645
Hello everyone I'm new to celiacs Ive had mine for about 3 month basically the summer and I love the car it's fun to drive its a hasstle when it comes to leaking I fixed some stuff here in there the car yes slow for what it should be but I like it. Gas!!!! It supposed to save gas but it's avg lower than should be any ideas?

Also I recently changed my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder with oem I like qualit basically and I used ate super blue for the clutch master and blessed the system do all good there I was looking at my power steering today it seems to play with idle when I turn while my car is at a full stop or parked I wanted to change tr fluid today but I don't know how to drain the power steering or flush the system properly can anyone tell me how? And where should I get my power steering fluid from?
Special_Edy
The power steering eats power when you use it so it drops the idle, but theres also a idle up valve to the intake from the powersteering so that will make it idle up. Lastly but most importantly you are never supposed to turn the steering on a powersteering equiped car without the car moving. If youre at a dead stop and you turn the steering wheel youre placing an abnormally high load on the powersteering system and youre more likely to break something or wear out the powersteering.

As for a tune-up, Id pull the sparkplugs and check/replace them, inspect/replace the cap and rotor and ignition wires. Make sure your tire pressures are normal, 30-35 psi. Maybe run a can of SeaFoam through the vacuum system.
mi645
Well I replaced all spark plugs cap ad rotor and plug wires all oem from Toyota and yes I know ur not supposed to turn the wheel but I was just parallel parking and I realized a whine so it bugged me that's all and it looks like my resvoir leaks a bit or something cuz the hose has a couple of drips on it from top the engine bay
trdproven
it just takes a leak at the right place in the powersteering system for it to suck in air.
mi645
So how do I flush the system where do I drain the old oil out? And how do I bleed the power steering if needed what r the steps for flushing the power steering?
xrav22
QUOTE (mi645 @ Aug 24, 2012 - 3:09 AM) *
So how do I flush the system where do I drain the old oil out? And how do I bleed the power steering if needed what r the steps for flushing the power steering?

I can give u a tip, you need to make sure you have a real clamp on the bottom end if your PS return line. I mean where it goes up ,over and down to the back of the engine. The rubber will get hard and expand and the "squeeze" type clamp will leak very slowly.
Also the resivoir will darken make sure your fluid is full by actually looking down in there. Mine looked like fluid was full but it was empty. Since I cleaned it out all is normal. As for flushing I use the turkey baster procedure until it gets fairly clear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.