Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: all motor
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Hanyo
hey guy, i was just wondering what is need to be done to make a powerful N/A 7afe..

i quote this from 94toy

1-Intake
2-Exhaust
3-Header
4-Cams
5-UD pully
6-AFC
7-bored intake manifold and throtle body
8-5 angle valve job
9-flywheel and clutch
10-high compression pistons (this would have to be custom and you would probably want to get a new head gasket also)
11-Some type of engine managment system

i read from another post saying people have shave some of the head down so it creates a higher compression motor ( i don't remember the measurements)

port and polish the head

knife the crank shaft

balance the engine (anyone knows how much it cost)

some questions i have : how do cams affect the driveably of the car? how long will the motor last, 30K ? ( for regular driving)

i'm aiming for 180 rwhp.

(yup i'm still a noob that knows some-what how to use the search button)
blkGT
i dont think that is enuff for 180. and ur never gonna get rwhp from a celli biggrin.gif
BigEdge169
There was somebody on here, I can't remember who, that tried to build an all motor setup, but it just got really expensive and he didn't see the results he was hoping for. I know its probably not the answer you are looking for, but it would be much cheaper to achieve 180hp with a mild turbo setup.
Hanyo
after thinking about it for a while.,. 180 hp is nearly doubling the horse. that is almost impossible..

how much horse power would you be espected to gain for doing this.
97sccelica
you will never have an RWHP, lol, your celica is FWD.

but aside from that, those mods WILL NOT give you 180whp when you have a 90whp car.

maybe, maybe 180crank hp.

that is a lot of money to gain only that much power(lot of custom work which is $$$)
Kwanza26
QUOTE (BigEdge169 @ Jan 15, 2004 - 3:16 AM)
There was somebody on here, I can't remember who, that tried to build an all motor setup, but it just got really expensive and he didn't see the results he was hoping for.  I know its probably not the answer you are looking for, but it would be much cheaper to achieve 180hp with a mild turbo setup.

That was probably me...;]

I'll be the pessimistic one and say, you won't get 180 whp out of an 'fe' head, short of building an all-out race motor (but by that time, it'll no longer be the same engine). Even if you can feed it enough air/fuel, the narrow chamber design will start to heat-soak due to lack of dissipation in the narrow design, and you'll get very bad detonation. There's plenty of squish space, for higher compression via a machined head, say up to as much as 0.70 mm, which should put you near the 11 mark, but even with that, you'll need much more agressive cams and timing set-up in order to take full advantage of that. With agressive high lift/duration cams, you'll need upgraded springs, retainers, and valves, and with the trimmed head, you'll need to reset the cam gear to comphensate for the shorter head. By this time, you'll need to upgrade your fuel system with larger injectors, a higher flowing fuel pump, etc... Then tune... Along with a full port/polish, and the mods listed above, you can only get at best, 160 or so bhp, depending on the cam set-up, because the head limits the agressiveness of the cam profiles you can use somewhat. Even still, the cams will have to be custom ground, for there is no aftermarket support for this motor. As far as high-comp pistons go, it will all need to be custom, along with perhaps lighter forged rods so the engine can rev more. The disadvantage of the very agressive cams is that the car will drive like shiat on the street. Anyways, as with all agressive cam set-ups, you won't be able to take full advantage of the power without raising the rev limiter. With the 7AFE, this can only be done with a Standalone ECU... Knife-edging the crank would be nice, but pointless considering the stock crank was originally designed to rev to some degree... and its strength is no longer in question to me. The 85.5 stroke is very good for a high-revving set-up, which is the essence of an all-motor build.

Anyways, I personally never got that far. I got about 1/2 done with the head, before the motor blew up. Never touched the cams, but did upgrade springs/valves/retainers with the intent of more agressive streetable cams, but never got the chance to. Along with basic bolt-ons, I only got about 120 or so to the wheels, which is roughly 135-140 bhp with that set-up... It costed too much... so I basically lost faith in building an all-motor "fe" toyota engine. Even now, when I think about it, the only all-motor toyota engines I *might* want to build would be the 4AG series engines, and 2ZZGE's. I personally believe, the S series isn't as buildable as the A series engines, due to lack of parts support in the US... and due to the stroke ratio... which isn't very good for what I would look to build in an all-motor street engine. That's my opinion though.

A good idea would be to do a 4AG redtop (high comp, non-TVIS 4 runner Intake version) swap from a USDM AE92 (it will be a direct swap over... harness, sensors, motor, tranny, everything). This engine has higher potential for power than a 7AFE. In actuallity, I was gonna buy an AE86 and build a 7AGE off of the 4AGELU redtop head and 7A block. The problem was to be the pistons and rods, which needed modification to work. I have since learned, that a USDM AE92 harness will be a direct swap over into any FF toyota platform. It's especially easy on the AT200 chassi...

That's my opinion on the matter. Honestly speaking, I no longer have faith in an all-motor toyota engine short of the "GE" topped A,S, and ZZ blocks...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.