Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 98 5s stuck in neutral
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2
Malhar95
So with this parts car I have, the guy I got it from said The cv axles were bad that messed up the transition
Basically the car is in neutral. Even when we put it in park or drove it acts like its in neutral.

Any suggestions what it could be?

(when I was picking up the car, the driver side cv was being attempted to take out, like it was out of the hub nut not I pulled it a little bit but it didn't slip out, maybe the clip inside it broken, could that result in the car reacting this way?)
Itd a 98 5sfe auto
Box
Transmission solenoid perhaps.
Malhar95
QUOTE (Box @ Sep 9, 2012 - 4:18 AM) *
Transmission solenoid perhaps.

How can I diagnose it? If im not wrog that's a cheap fix rite?

And when i say neutral i mean even when the car is off and in park, if i pukk the e brake down its gonna roll do really in neutral haha
richee3
I had a 5S auto tranny do that once. Here was the problem.

Result of stupidity and neutral bombing. Yours might not be as serious, as an open diff will send power through the path of least resistance. If an axle pops out of place, that's where the power will go. I find it peculiar that even in park, it still rolls. I can see where it could be either issue.
Malhar95
QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 9, 2012 - 9:53 AM) *
I had a 5S auto tranny do that once. Here was the problem.

Result of stupidity and neutral bombing. Yours might not be as serious, as an open diff will send power through the path of least resistance. If an axle pops out of place, that's where the power will go. I find it peculiar that even in park, it still rolls. I can see where it could be either issue.

But even if one axle pops out (not sure how that would happen but u never know) shouldn't the other side hold it?
richee3
Not without LSD. An open diff will send power to the missing axle.
Malhar95
Oh yea lol...so what can I check for?
Smaay
jack the car up, look behind the engine to see if the passenger axle is mounted to the block on a carrier. if it is, then take the drivers wheel off, and check to see if the drivers axle popped out.
Malhar95
cv axles are in...
anything else i should check? checked the fluid too btw
Special_Edy
Yes check the shifter linkage if you havent already.
zfjohnson07
well i found a 96 gt in fort worth for sale for 700 that wont shift out of neutral either, i might buy it !
Malhar95
QUOTE (zfjohnson07 @ Sep 13, 2012 - 3:34 PM) *
well i found a 96 gt in fort worth for sale for 700 that wont shift out of neutral either, i might buy it !

Clean title? How's te body?

Sorry but what do u mean by shifter linkage (the thing that rotates when u shif get on the tranny?)
Sorry in still learning terms and names lol

Special_Edy
QUOTE (Malhar95 @ Sep 13, 2012 - 3:09 PM) *
QUOTE (zfjohnson07 @ Sep 13, 2012 - 3:34 PM) *

Clean title? How's te body?

Sorry but what do u mean by shifter linkage (the thing that rotates when u shif get on the tranny?)
Sorry in still learning terms and names lol

Yeah, the linkage is what connects the shifter inside the cabin to the transmission. Mine is a manual so I dont know the exact location on a Auto 6gc where it connects to the transmission but it should move some kind of arm on the transmission when you move the shifter inside the cabin.
Malhar95
Yup checked it it's rotating with the gears too...
Torque converter?
Special_Edy
The torque converter wouldnt make the transmission act like its in neutral when its in park. 90% odds its the axle and you will be back on the road soon
richee3
Silly question, and I'm sure it's the first thing you checked and I've just missed reading it in this thread. Have you checked the trans fluid? An auto tranny with no fluid won't move an inch.
zfjohnson07
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/3268078806.html
Special_Edy
QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 13, 2012 - 5:45 PM) *
Silly question, and I'm sure it's the first thing you checked and I've just missed reading it in this thread. Have you checked the trans fluid? An auto tranny with no fluid won't move an inch.

The big thing in this case is that when the car is in park it still rolls like its in neutral. Theres only a few explanations for this. Shifter linkage malfunctioning, axle shaft poped out or there is serious internal damage to the transmission
Malhar95
Okay I was looking at the car again today...dot j ow how I missed it before but the passenger side cv axle is bad.
The boot is completely worn and basically torn off from where the clamp holds.

It's not the side that connects to the wheel, but the side that connects to the trany.

Could this cause the car reacting like such
(I'm going to fix it regardless but until I do curiosity)
zfjohnson07
dont think so, i bought a 94 that was ripped and still would drive with just one axle
Malhar95
Never mind what I said earlier,
When I was trying to replace it, I realized that the middle boot is pretty much disconnected, so when I'm Tryin to take the but out, its rotating the complete cv. And when I started the car and put it in drive, it's rotatin from the tranny but obviously since its not really connected to the wheels the car doesn't go anywhere.

So now the question is:
What's a way to take the cv out? I can't grip on to the cv with anything can I? The only thing I can think of I'd some big ass vice grips lol
Special_Edy
QUOTE (Malhar95 @ Sep 24, 2012 - 10:17 PM) *
Never mind what I said earlier,
When I was trying to replace it, I realized that the middle boot is pretty much disconnected, so when I'm Tryin to take the but out, its rotating the complete cv. And when I started the car and put it in drive, it's rotatin from the tranny but obviously since its not really connected to the wheels the car doesn't go anywhere.

So now the question is:
What's a way to take the cv out? I can't grip on to the cv with anything can I? The only thing I can think of I'd some big ass vice grips lol

Passenger-side or driver-side?

The passenger-side has a carrier bearing that is bolted to the engine block. The two bolts must be removed and the axle will then easily slide out.

The Driver-side has a 'retainer clip' on the splines of the axle that is clipped inside the differential. If you lift the car far enough, maybe 1 to 1 1/2 feet off of the ground you can pry the counterbalance(?) part of the axle shaft against the suspension crossmember with a crowbar. the axle will easily pop out. Alternatively, I used a 1 ton come-along to pull the axle on my celica the first time. I chained one end around the fat part of the axle and the other end around my pickup truck and started winching it out. biggrin.gif
Malhar95
It's the passenger side,

Here's a pic

Special_Edy
Yeah the carrier bearing is bolted to the engine block between that broken boot and the transmission.
Malhar95
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 25, 2012 - 9:23 AM) *
Yeah the carrier bearing is bolted to the engine block between that broken boot and the transmission.

Sowill replacing te cv solve the problem?
Special_Edy
QUOTE (Malhar95 @ Sep 25, 2012 - 10:33 AM) *
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 25, 2012 - 9:23 AM) *

Sowill replacing te cv solve the problem?

If the axle is in two pieces it will. The axle needs to be replaced because of the torn boot anyways
Smaay
torn boot does not mean replace axle. the CV might be perfectly fine. just replace the boot
Malhar95
QUOTE (Smaay @ Sep 25, 2012 - 5:20 PM) *
torn boot does not mean replace axle. the CV might be perfectly fine. just replace the boot

im pretty sure the complete cv is bad, b/c the bearing (things) arnt connected, looks like the inside is completely broken, i called a tow truck to take it to a transmition shop cuz i figured they're the only ones can can take it off, i cant think of any wat
Special_Edy
You could of done it in a day or weekend. Too bad your so far away or Id come help.
Malhar95
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 25, 2012 - 11:15 PM) *
You could of done it in a day or weekend. Too bad your so far away or Id come help.

How can I do it, everytime I rotate the bolt the complete thing moves..
Lol ill come get u, the amount I'm giving to towin company ill put in a tank of gas haha
If it down that is, at least well find out why exactly is wrong
Malhar95
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 25, 2012 - 11:15 PM) *

How can I do it, everytime I rotate the bolt the complete thing moves..
Lol ill come get u, the amount I'm giving to towin company ill put in a tank of gas haha
If it down that is, at least well find out why exactly is wrong
richee3
I've found it's helpful to have a friend hold the brakes when trying to loosen the axle nut. Sometimes an impact won't do the job as well as a 4' or 6' breaker bar.
Special_Edy
You need a friend to hold down the brake pedal to keep the hub from spinning. You could also brace a block between the driverseat and brake pedal then slide the seat forward till the pedal stays fully depressed. Finally you can brace a steel bar between two of the lug-nut studs to hold the hub still.
Malhar95
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 26, 2012 - 12:12 PM) *
You need a friend to hold down the brake pedal to keep the hub from spinning. You could also brace a block between the driverseat and brake pedal then slide the seat forward till the pedal stays fully depressed. Finally you can brace a steel bar between two of the lug-nut studs to hold the hub still.

Had someone hold the brakes and the lug nuts, it's not the hub that's turning, because the cv isn't hookup to the Tracy, it's jus turning from the torn boot place in the picture
Special_Edy
We're both talking about the large nut that holds the axle into the hub right?
Malhar95
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 26, 2012 - 1:08 PM) *
We're both talking about the large nut that holds the axle into the hub right?

Yea
Special_Edy
Yeah your probably gonna need someone to hold the brake pedal down, it will keep the hub and axleshaft from spinning. I used a 8-9 foot fence post as a breaker bar on the end of my ratchet.
For the inner half of the axle you just need to remove the two bolts with 12mm heads that hold the carrier bearing to the engine block, then the axle should easily pop out of the differential
zfjohnson07
if you come pick up special_edy ill come wth lol or me and him could come down there for the week in my car smile.gif
Malhar95
If u guys wanna help I would appropriate it , I'll try to make a video explaining what's happening I don't thinks I'm doing a good job with words
richee3
It sounds to me like the hub is turning with the axle/nut. Having a friend hold the brakes should prevent that. But you said you've done that, so my second guess is that the axle is turning with the nut while the hub itself stays stationary? Theoretically, if the axle and hub splines are both in good condition, this isn't really possible. But things do break and splines can be stripped.
Malhar95
QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 26, 2012 - 3:37 PM) *
It sounds to me like the hub is turning with the axle/nut. Having a friend hold the brakes should prevent that. But you said you've done that, so my second guess is that the axle is turning with the nut while the hub itself stays stationary? Theoretically, if the axle and hub splines are both in good condition, this isn't really possible. But things do break and splines can be stripped.

That's exactly what's happening, the axle is moving with the nut, the hub isn't,
Special_Edy
Hmm thats bad if its like richee said, maybe a video would be the best way to confirm
Malhar95
I'll make one tonight, probably bad lighting but whatever helps
richee3
Well lets hope that its only the axle that is damaged, not the hub. Buying fewer parts is always better!
Malhar95
How would the hub be damaged? I'm still confused on that.
What it looks like is that axle is basically internally damaged, like where the bearings are so it's completely detached form the othe side
richee3

The end of the axle and the hub both have splines that interlock with each other, so the axle can spin the wheels. Of these are intact, then your hub would definitely spin with your axle. Since your axle is turning independently from the hub, that means there is an issue with the splines. With any luck, it's only the axle splines that have been damaged, so a new axle (which you need to buy anyway) will fix the issue. However, I'm willing to bet that the teeth inside the hub have been damaged as well, so you will likely need a new axle and front hub. But I'm merely speculating so don't let me scare you. smile.gif
Malhar95
Okay makes sense. Thanks
But the thing is, if I don't have anyone press the brakes the hub also turns so that shouldn't happen from that end correct?

The easiest way I can explain is if I just start the car, and put it in drive and show what's spinning
If in trying to replace the axle (remove the nut) the opposite moves

Sorry if It doesn't make sense ill post a video soon showing
Malhar95
I'm sorry but this is what I could do rite now, I barely have time to jack up the car and take everything off,

I basically started the car, and put in drive, if u can see in th video, the axle side from the tranny is turnin but its not being delivered to the other side of the wheel. It's just jumping around

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab119/m...2C6831110D5.mp4
Special_Edy
Yes the passengerside cv axle is bad, order a new one
Malhar95
That's the problem, when I'm trying to replace it, everytime I try to take the axle nut (the big 33/32mm one holding the axle through the hub) the axle rotates because its pretty much free from the axle.

The part in the video that was turnin isn't holding he axle to allow me to take the nut off

Does that make sense :s
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.