Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh Crap!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
badman322
So I've been trying to get my car running for a while now after an aborted swap from my local shop. Finally got it to a point where I could test fire the engine at least today. Well, guess what idiot forgot to remove the tape from the turbo inlet that was protecting it from metal shavings while I put in hood latches, THIS GUY!!! So here are the results of that test fire, and a pic of some sort of fluid coming up out of said turbo also, which I need help identifying.

Special_Edy
Looks like motor oil, which with my very limited knowledge of turbos is the only liquid present in the turbocharger. Good luck with it.
badman322
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Sep 26, 2012 - 11:56 AM) *
Looks like motor oil, which with my very limited knowledge of turbos is the only liquid present in the turbocharger. Good luck with it.

Right, but I'm not sure it should be blowing out like that. It was pretty "dewy" here this morning so I'm hoping it was condensation. More concerned about the tape it might have sucked in. Any thoughts?
Special_Edy
Me just guessing, maybe being taped off made the inlet side pull a ridiculous amount of vacuum which caused a seal to leak oil into the intake. Like I said though I dont have any hands on experience with turbochargers.
Special_Edy
Oh and make sure you retrieve EVERY scrap of that tape. You wouldnt want any tape to find its way into the intake period. Once you're sure all the tape is out I think it would be safe to start the car and watch for smoke in the exhaust. If you see bluish white smoke then you're burning oil and you need to shut it down till you find the leak.
badman322
This being a 4th gen 3sgte, is there an easy way to do that? Is taking it apart to clean it out something i can do at home?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.