Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RWD coupe
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
gcon22
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I wanted to share a project that I plan on doing. I know many of you will find it impractical and a waste of money to convert a FWD to a RWD, but I want to do something that is rarely done because I think that's the beauty in doing a project like this. I wanted a modern looking Toyota in the first place that fits the category of light weight, hardtop coupe. I just bought a 1997 Celica ST coupe. So here's what made me decide to do this project on this particular car that will be strictly for track use.

1) It's a coupe. RWD in a coupe body just seems right! And the extra structural integrity and lightness of it is a plus.
2) It has a drive shaft tunnel from the GT-Four, so with little modifications to the rear floor pan, this can be done.
3) It's the most recent generation of Celicas that has the coupe body style that doesn't have pop-up headlights. Nothing against pop-up headlights, but for my application I want to make the car as simple as possible.
4) Sleek body and long hood. Styling cues from the Supra and Lexus SC/Soarer, both of which are RWD.

So a few engines I had in mind are the 4AGE, 22R, and 3SGE.
I was leaning towards the BEAMS 3SGE blacktop because it powered the RS200 in a longitudinal setup. And it's such a beast of an engine.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome. Keep it friendly please smile.gif
kurt95gt
Can't say I'm all for this but I could be a cool car when your done
Sounds like you got a rough idea of what you wanna do
Good luck
Stambo
sounds fun, but making a fwd car into rwd just kinda messes with the whole suspension geometry
richee3
Since you know that 6gc as a whole isn't find of RWD conversions, I'll skip the "read the stickies!" comments and skip straight to the good stuff.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82785

He is swapping a 1UZ into a Celica and using a mkIII Supra rear subframe. If you go through with this, be sure to post as many pictures as possible!
mkernz22
I thought the coupe was a lot different in terms of the rear seat and floor setup? No to shun your idea, but I don't know how well this will work with the coupe, but I can't wait to see the progress!
njccmd2002
RobStar86
I'm doing the same thing to the most recent body style celica. Then again, I'm going with a compact, powerful engine and swapping in a complete rear end so I don't have to work with geometry that wasn't meant to handle rwd in the first place.

Good luck with your project! Can't wait to see some photos!
gcon22
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 13, 2012 - 10:34 PM) *
I thought the coupe was a lot different in terms of the rear seat and floor setup? No to shun your idea, but I don't know how well this will work with the coupe, but I can't wait to see the progress!

I am aware of that, and I did mention it above smile.gif
Thanks for all of your support guys, the pieces are coming together slowly but surely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.