Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got another celica!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
6strngs
Hi all, I'm not sure who is still here from when I had my other 6gc, but I just picked up another 95 yesterday, which makes this my 4th celica, and my 3rd white celica smile.gif Here's a couple refresher pics of my old 6th gen, maybe someone will remember those better than my description of it:
First it was stock:

Then it got turbo'ed

Then the engine blew up

Then it got a used engine and a paint job, shortly before selling it

Now the new car:

It's got 175K miles on it, but only about 60K on the engine. I bought it from the second owner who has had it since 1999, making me the 3rd owner of this garage kept and well maintainted celica. I counted only one small ding in the whole car! My plans as of right now is just to make it even more aesthetically pleasing, it's going to be my daily driver so I don't think I'll do anything too crazy, but perhaps a beams swap down the road... So what do you guys think smile.gif
richee3
I remember the old one quite well. smile.gif The new one looks like a very clean example of a 6th gen!
azian_advanced
welcome to the "i'm-now-on-my-4th-celica" club. smile.gif
RabidTRD
Wow! Looks just like mine when I first bought it! Except yours is a lot cleaner lol. I hate our winters frown.gif

Pin striping is the same too! I love how the black stripes look on the white car. Emphasizes the body curves!
Smaay
QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Oct 15, 2012 - 7:57 PM) *

how about im on my 6th celica club...or I own 6 Celicas club?
kurt95gt
QUOTE (Smaay @ Oct 16, 2012 - 12:34 PM) *
QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Oct 15, 2012 - 7:57 PM) *

how about im on my 6th celica club...or I own 6 Celicas club?

Are we only counting 6th gens? If so I've had 3 but if were talking celicas of any gen I've had 4-5 depending if you count my old parts car lol
6strngs
Well, the previous owner told me the car had a slight oil leak and after looking around for a bit I found it had a leak from the distributor. As can be seen here:

So I got a new O-ring at Napa for $1.40. Here's a pic of the old, it's hard to see but the O-ring looked a little swollen and didn't fit well anymore:

And the new O-ring installed:

So with a total of $1.40, and 15 minutes labor I've fixed one of the very few issues this car has. Since I had to set timing afterwards, I went ahead and set it to 14 degrees BTDC for a little more low rpm power smile.gif If only all fixes on cars could be this easy...
CelicaZR
Welcome back smile.gif
I do remember your old 6GC smile.gif
What made you come back to 6GC?
Edser
I love that classic look. It's so classic! Does that make sense? Nice.
6strngs
QUOTE (CelicaZR @ Oct 16, 2012 - 3:26 PM) *
Welcome back smile.gif
I do remember your old 6GC smile.gif
What made you come back to 6GC?

I'm going back to school so I'm selling my WRX and needed something cheaper, cheaper on insurance, better on gas, yet still a good looking car that I could pick up a date in tongue.gif Plus I've missed mine ever since I sold it. I plan on keeping this one a long time smile.gif

So the car had a JVC stereo in it when I got it, but it only had a front auxiliary port, I much prefer the kenwood that was in my WRX (which I think I actually originally had installed in my green 6gc, lol) because it has a USB port in the back so you can control the ipod through the unit and it charges your ipod while you drive. Also note the JDM air freshener, lol

Ipod mounted in the glove box:

Next the rear-view mirror of this car was broken and just flopped around so I went to the pick and pull yesterday but didn't find any mirrors off a 6th gen, so I grabbed one from a 5th gen which works, but looks slightly different. I kind of prefer the 6th gen one so I'll have to keep an eye out for one. Also, didn't notice that the one from the 5th gen was blue until I took these pictures, it looks much more grey in person/

Lastly, I installed some NGK plug wires. I'll probably pick up all the fluids, filters, spark plugs, and distributor cap and rotor at work tomorrow to finish the tune-up.
6strngs
Got almost all the rest of the tune-up parts today. NGK iridium plugs, new distributor rotor, Redline 75w90 for the transmission, mobil 1 5w30 for the engine, I actually had 1 leftover toyota OEM oil filter from my green 6gc (not pictured), new PCV valve, and a new fuel filter. I didn't get a distributor cap because the only we had in stock at my work was the "economy" version which was weird red color. I'd rather order the regular version and have it be nice and black, haha. I'm not sure when I'll have time to install all this because I'm getting my miata ready for the last 2 drift events of the season, this wednesday and next. I could share some pics of sexy miata parts if anybody is interested though smile.gif

kurt95gt
Drifting miata ftw!!!
Love those cars let's see some pics
6strngs
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Oct 20, 2012 - 8:58 PM) *
Drifting miata ftw!!!

Well, if you insist... wink.gif These are from a couple weeks ago, hopefully I'll remember to bring my camera this wednesday. I'll have to get some install pics with my new parts I'm getting tomorrow too smile.gif

kurt95gt
Love it!!
SwissFerdi
Nice! NA6 or 8?
richee3
What's under the hood?
6strngs
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 21, 2012 - 5:24 AM) *
Nice! NA6 or 8?

NA6; which also answers this question
What's under the hood?

It's the stock 1.6 motor, just has a homemade intake, an ebay catback exhaust, and timing advanced a few degrees. Then it's got Megan racing coilovers, an rx7 clutch type rear diff, bigger brakes off an NA8, and the BBS wheels. After this next round of parts I'm installing it's time to start buying pieces for a homemade turbo kit, it's pretty hard to drift with ~100hp, but not impossible smile.gif
kurt95gt
Build thread in offtopic?
nics
Good find! Did you go to the BBQ in treasure island around Jan 2011?
QUOTE (6strngs @ Oct 20, 2012 - 11:52 PM) *
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Oct 20, 2012 - 8:58 PM) *
Drifting miata ftw!!!

Well, if you insist... wink.gif These are from a couple weeks ago, hopefully I'll remember to bring my camera this wednesday. I'll have to get some install pics with my new parts I'm getting tomorrow too smile.gif

Just curious what event is this?
6strngs
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Oct 21, 2012 - 11:12 AM) *
Build thread in offtopic?

I could probably wrassle something together tongue.gif

I've been to a few of the treasure island meets but I don't believe I went to that one. I haven't had a celica for about 2 years now.

Just curious what event is this?

Sonoma drift, on wednesday nights. http://www.racesonoma.com/media/news/587496.html I'm registered for oct 24 and 31 if you care to spectate, though I'm really not that great at it yet and it might rain tomorrow which should make it soooo much easier to get the miata to slide laugh.gif
Tigawoods
good to have you back in the game!
6strngs
Well, I got the injen intake installed this week on the celica. And today I did the spark plugs, PCV valve, distributor rotor, and fuel filter. Still have to change the oil and tranny fluid and get a distributor cap to finish the tune-up, just didn't feel like crawling under it today.

And a couple of the promised pics of sexy miata parts:

First is a power steering oil cooler, I've been overheating the fluid at the drift events and it's been boiling out of the resevoir... Pretty common on miatas that drift or autocross. I think I still boiled it even with the cooler though...

Next is the steering knuckles that I had sent out to be modified. The mod includes redrilling the tie rod mounting hole closer to the kuckle so that you can increase the amount of steering angle you can get, and then they are re-inforced with extra welds. I also had them powdercoated red as you can see smile.gif

Also put on stainless braided brake lines. I ordered custom ones for the front because you need longer ones with these modified knuckles. Also I put on a stainless braided clutch line and a new clutch slave cylinder, forgot to take a pic though.

Some from the event:

And a professional photographer took this one of me at the event smile.gif

And then this happened on my LAST run of the night. mad.gif It looks worse than it is, the only real damage is to the finish panel. There are some scuffs on the spoiler, rear bumper, trunk lid, and taillights, but I was able to buff a majority of them out. So, this pretty much sealed the deal and made up my mind, the miata is no longer going to be built with daily drivability in mind, it's becoming a full fledged race car now laugh.gif

And the not-so-exciting video of the crash. After I hit I was so worried about how damaged my car was that I didn't even attempt to drift the second corner and just drove away with my tail between my legs frown.gif Unfortunately none of my good runs were caught with my camera or I'd show you one of those too.
kurt95gt
Least it wasn't worse than it was.
An yes now its time to go all BECAUSE RACECAR lol
6strngs
*sigh* I don't think this poor miata likes being thrown around like this. Forgot to bring the camera last night but it was pooring rain anyway, and I annihilated the stock clutch to the point where I have to slip it out to 6K just to get the car to barely creep forward. woops! tongue.gif Can't decide if I want to put a "stage 2" that still uses a disc, or just grow a pair and get a 6-puck laugh.gif the stage 2 can hold 280 ft lbs and I doubt I'll break 200 even with the turbo. I just want to still be able to hop in the car and go for a cruise whenever I want so I don't want it too unstreetable. I've got til April to figure it out though, this was my last run of the season so time to put a little love into the celica smile.gif
6strngs
Changed my valve cover gasket over the weekend, I think this should take car of the oil leak on this car, only other place I think it could be coming from would be the internal seal on the distributor since all the oil is coming from way up high on the motor. I also sold my wrx this weekend so should be getting a couple goodies for the celica and the miata soon. smile.gif I'll leave with a pic of the wrx that I already miss... But I'll probably just buy an STi after I get one of those "real" job things.

RabidTRD
Tell me you painted the cover while it was off?
6strngs
QUOTE (RabidTRD @ Nov 26, 2012 - 4:47 PM) *
Tell me you painted the cover while it was off?

The thought crossed my mind but I was in a bit of a time crunch. Besides, it would make it that much harder to powder-coat it tongue.gif Once I fix my miata and can afford to have the celica down for a couple days I'll be powdercoating a few things in the engine bay wink.gif
6strngs
Got a JDM rear strut bar last week smile.gif I don't have any pics at the moment but I'll get some next week because Santa may be bringing me some other goodies and then you'll understand why I made a rear strut bar one of my first modifications wink.gif
Sid
I can't wait to see what you do with this one. I haven't been a member long enough to remember your other one, but wow, it's nice too!!!! Let's see.... we own 5 6th generations, but 2 are just parts cars, that will never run here.
SupraKid
QUOTE (6strngs @ Oct 23, 2012 - 6:59 AM) *

I've been to a few of the treasure island meets but I don't believe I went to that one. I haven't had a celica for about 2 years now.

orrly? lol Yea he was there Nics. Nice to see you back man, I'll have to set up another nor cal meet sometime.
6strngs
Haha, so I was there. I think for some reason I was thinking that was a 2010 meet. For those that don't know I had the white 00 GT-s on the far right of the picture there.
6strngs
Sorry I've been slacking on the updates. Here's what I've done lately. First I bought myself a JDM rear strut bar

Then for christmas I got a new subwoofer, an Alpine type R. The old infinity sub I had finally blew, but I was pushing 500W through a sub rated at 250W so I was pretty much expecting it. Now I have a sub that can handle 650W RMS, so shouldn't have that problem anymore smile.gif Unfortunately the sub was too deep to fit in my box so I made a spacer for it real quick.

Here's a pic of the box in place. It fits perfectly in the gap between the rear seat and strut bar.

A couple pics of me wiring in the alpine amp. I mounted it underneath the passenger seat because it fit perfectly under there and I like things like that to be hidden, I don't like clutter in my cars and I HATE exposed wiring, so hidden away it goes smile.gif

Lastly, for christmas I also got a set of 8000K HIDs.

And that's it for now. I also got a distributor rebuild kit so I probably do that next week to finally fix my oil leak! Getting real tired of that burning oil smell every time I stop the car because oil is dripping on the exhaust...
6strngs
So... I got JDM taillights! Also, I found snow in california, lol. Enjoy:

nics
Where is this? Mt Diablo?
6strngs
QUOTE (nics @ Feb 20, 2013 - 10:28 AM) *

Nope, up mines road about 25-30 miles from livermore, there was a couple places to pull off earlier but I wanted to be able to drive in it tongue.gif
nics
QUOTE (6strngs @ Feb 20, 2013 - 10:52 AM) *
QUOTE (nics @ Feb 20, 2013 - 10:28 AM) *

Nope, up mines road about 25-30 miles from livermore, there was a couple places to pull off earlier but I wanted to be able to drive in it tongue.gif

Oh I see, I know where that is but never actually driven there. That road connects to SR130 that leads to the lick observatory. I could see snow on the moutains behind mission peak. I wish I could drive by there today but that is impossible for me lol.
6strngs
Ok I guess it's time for me to update this thread so first, I got some JDM recaro rear seats! Though I really wish I hadn't, I submitted an offer on an ebay ad and didn't actually expect to win haha. If anybody wants them I'm willing to sell them or trade for something else (projectors, coilovers, wheels?)

Now, I was originally planning to build this thing into a show car, because it's so clean that's really what it deserves, but after some though I think I'd much rather have something that I can beat on without too much worry and park in parking lots without crying over every door ding. The perfect car came up right as I decided this. CaliJeff who lives literally a few blocks away from me and who I've known since I had my first celica was parting out his car and was getting ready to give it to the junk yard, the car had low compression on 2 cylinders. I offered him $500 for the car which must have been more than the wrecking yard was giving because he accepted immediately tongue.gif

The car was minus an exhaust, the side skirts frown.gif , an alternator bolt, and a shifter. I picked up a shifter from the junk yard for like $25, put it in in Jeff's driveway and then drove it home on 2 cylinders biggrin.gif (also from my house to a storage unit and back while I saved up the money to fix it, only a toyota could run this good on 2 cylinders haha) A compression test showed 180-175-60-10. I then did a cylinder leak-down test and heard the air coming in through the intake on both cylinders, so I ordered up a freshly rebuilt cylinder head off ebay for $285. I also got a fel-pro gasket set from my work for dirt cheap because, well, I get 10% over cost tongue.gif

After tearing everything apart I quickly found the problem was not the intake valves like I had thought, it was this:

Hmm, something doesn't seem right there hahaha. More pics:

As you can see, I decided to just go ahead and throw the head on anyway since there was a 25% restocking fee if I sent it back tongue.gif So, after getting it back together it started up first try with no leaks or any issues at all. I must be getting good at this whole mechanic thing haha. So after driving it one time, I decided I definitely want to keep this celica! The suspension feels much tighter on it (might be due to new rear struts), it's got tinted windows already, and for some reason the engine feels WAY stronger. It easily has 5 hp on the white celica, it's very noticably faster for some reason. I think the pistons are 0.050 over which may have something to do with it. Also, the transmission is in much better shape. I pulled the exhaust off the white celica for the time being, got this thing smogged (passed with flying colors), registered, and insured. I've been driving it everyday for the past 2 weeks and have 550 miles on it so far, all seems to be good! Another celica saved from the junk yard! It's got 232k miles on it and I have every intention to take it past 300 tongue.gif I've slowly been pulling the mods off the white celica and putting them in this one, once I'm done and I get a new wheel bearing in the white celica it'll be put up for sale if anybody is looking for an exceptionally clean bodied celica! I'll have to get more pics later, I've been too lazy to wash either car so they're both filthy at the moment haha.
richee3
That's an awesome story!
Box
I could live with a sub grand Celica. tongue.gif
6strngs
This thread is in need of an update. The white celica was sold to a friend/coworker of mine, so I still get to see it several times a week though sitting in the passenger seat never feels quite right tongue.gif The red celica was running strong with the fresh head for about 3k miles before it decided to start dumping oil from somewhere. I checked under the hood and was amazed to see it was coming out of the intake filter! There is a serious amount of blow-by gas getting into the intake, like I lost a quart in a day kind of serious! I did a compression test and found numbers of 180 185 180 and 90... I'm assuming it has a cracked piston ring allowing combustion pressure to get into the crankcase but I still need to do a leakdown test to confirm this. Either way the motor needs to come apart/be replaced and I've really been toying with the idea of a 3rd gen 3sgte or maybe a 3rd gen 3sge. I may have found a great deal on a grey top beams 3sge that I could get for even cheaper than another 5s so I might go for that biggrin.gif

In the meantime I got a mk1 mr2 as a daily. Can't complain with an incredibly fun car to drive that only costs $25 to fill the tank laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.