Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real carbon fiber dash trim
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
Red123
Hello.
Have you ever seen in internet real carbon fiber dash trim for 6g celica?
And if so, where?

Thanks
yellowchinaman
REAL carbon is my speciality.
In fact I've sent these items off to my factory to be carbon skinned.
Not printed or dipped in small rectangle bricks. Not Etched vinyl or printed vinyl.

But a layer of Real 2x2 twill weave carbon on top of my stock parts with a clear polished coat.

They should be finished in about 3-4 weeks time and Im going to see about offering a skinning service.
njccmd2002
^^^ you sound like jack the ripper, who wants to be skinned alive? jeezz
Red123
^^
and what will be the price?
yellowchinaman
here it is. All finished. All apart from 2 small vents which I can live without skinning because they where such a PITA to do it was not worth the aggravation and the silly man hours to do those parts.

I'll probably get a chance to fit this some time after xmas.
Nial
Can you do them in a matt/satin finish?
yellowchinaman
QUOTE (Nial @ Dec 18, 2012 - 4:33 PM) *
Can you do them in a matt/satin finish?

I wouldn't because the only way to do that is to leave it as it is from gel coat. It'll crumble away and wear in no time without the hard protective clear coat.
The other option is to use prepress carbon to get that effect but I'm only able to skin using vag bagging and laying wet carbon.
fussellbug
Cost estimate for a set of pieces like these?
yellowchinaman
this job in particular costs £550 + VAT
yellowchinaman
This is why skinning is more suitable for parts such as interior.

Notice that how many small complicated and inter locking fixings there are for the interior?
Something like this is near impossible to hand make out of carbon or FRP which is why skinning the original part is the best solution to ensure best possible fixings.

Some parts may even interlock so lining up is important. By skinning you do not change any of these aspects.

Had parts like this be made purely out of carbon you'd either have to fabricate or come up with your own method of fixing or risk it flapping or moving about.

Things you must know about skinning
It does make the surface stand out more than normal by approximately 2-5mm +/-
Overlaying carbon to your parts will make the part much more rigid and harder so some flexibility will be lost
RoyO
QUOTE (yellowchinaman @ Dec 19, 2012 - 1:21 PM) *
Something like this is near impossible to hand make out of carbon or FRP which is why skinning the original part is the best solution to ensure best possible fixings.

+1, skinning is the best solution for sure!!

I have 22 real CF skinned interior parts in my celica.. these were all made by a USA forum member a few years ago, but he doesn't do it anymore.

Some of the parts during production

Installed in my car: http://www.6gc.net/celicas/gt-turbo-hatchback-10459 (I can't find better photos right now)
Red123
very very nice but 1K$ is too expensive for me. kindasad.gif
yellowchinaman
you ca always fake it with plasti dip or viny which is much cheaper.
yellowchinaman
Yes we can now say we CAN offer them in a matte finish.
jordisonjr
Wow it looks brutal during profuction but SOOO good finished.
Excellent work, as always.
Dennisthe10
I have got the kit to do this to mine, anyone got any ideas whats best to use to tidy the edges i.e. cutting the twill? Supplier states decent scissors but i can imagine getting that perfect edge finish (especially on bits like around the switch on the window control fascia). Is it better to make templates to cut or cut them after applying the twill to the resin surface?
Marbledpearlcelica
You can have them satin or matte by the way. All the major paint lines in automotive refinishing has a MATTE finish clear . PPG global D8102 mixed 4:1:1 with D884 and D871 will give you MATTE, Pre mix the D8102 4:1 with D893 Performance clear then mix 3:1:1 with the D884 and D871 and you have a egg shell satin look. And the clear will outlast the car. I am a ICAR, ASE, PPG gold certified painter.
psyxo69
1 question:
except from the looks whats the purpose of putting skinned carbon fibre interior parts? The purpose of carbon fibre is lightweight. Why do you stick the cf layer on top of the plastics instead of using only the cf part? OK i mean it will not have the clips and anyting but you can just glue it or secure it otherway ??
yellowchinaman
QUOTE (psyxo69 @ Jan 14, 2013 - 11:27 AM) *
1 question:
except from the looks whats the purpose of putting skinned carbon fibre interior parts? The purpose of carbon fibre is lightweight. Why do you stick the cf layer on top of the plastics instead of using only the cf part? OK i mean it will not have the clips and anyting but you can just glue it or secure it otherway ??

1 reason. Cost.
yellowchinaman
Bump this old thread as ive been getting messages asking for pictures. Many questions are answered here.
CoolZeen
QUOTE (yellowchinaman @ Dec 18, 2012 - 4:18 PM) *
here it is. All finished. All apart from 2 small vents which I can live without skinning because they where such a PITA to do it was not worth the aggravation and the silly man hours to do those parts.

I'll probably get a chance to fit this some time after xmas.

neat! now that's some serious interior looking parts. I need this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.