Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tweak to PnP
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
DaTerrorist
as title says, after i have the money (tax time frown.gif ) im going to be sending my wiring out to tweak and them to do my conversion(7afe to 2nd gen 3sgte). and if a few years when i have the money again and of course the wife lets me ill put some upgrades into the motor (power goal is 350-400 at wheels which is more then 90% of the cars where i live so ill be happy with it laugh.gif )
my question is which plug and play ecus will plug right into the harness and which ones are you guys using. reviews on the ones being used would be great a lot and if possible some numbers to match (reason for the numbers is id not only like to know the reviews and opinions but also that the product is working with the hp ur at)
please also include any problems you have had with the product
Smaay
do NOT do a 2nd gen 3S-GTE
DaTerrorist
already bought and paid for and 80-90% installed. am curious tho as to why u would say do not buy it
Smaay
the 2nd gen doesnt make as much power as the 3rd and its more if a wiring nightmare. Tweak should have steered you towards a 3rd
DaTerrorist
thats just my bad luck. ive had the motor bought for over a year now. i managed to get it for basically dirty cheap (900$). it wasnt until after i bought it that i realized my 96 ST wouldnt be a "bolt up" swap. but you've got to work with what u got, u know. so that is what im trying to do
Box
Don't feel too bad, when it's all said and done you can get them to the same level of power from my understanding. Someone had posted a link to an article on how to make power on the 2nd gen 3S-GTE in particular. It's around here somewhere.
DaTerrorist
mrcontrol did a power primer for the 3sgte its old but it works from what i understand. im not sure what gen of the gte it was ment for or if it was a build up for a general idea on all gens of the motor.
the principle for building them (2nd gen vs 3rd gen) is ideally the same. ive also been looking thru the build up and dyno posts on http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/dyno3.htm theres quite a few of them that stayed with their 2nd gen motor. so my guess is the same as yours, power output after a certain point is the same. also from what i am understanding from the reads ive done on the 2nd gen vs 3rd gen debate, most choose the 3rd gen for the better turbo, better ecu, and the W2A IC but at least IMHO at 350-400 doesnt matter which gen motor u have, u need to start changing out major parts anyways and drop major money.
so at least for me a 900$ 3sgte vs a 1200+$ motor when getting to 400hp+ id choose the 900$ again.
my plans for the car as it sits now is just to get it running. im doing this research now to just to get it out of the way now and not have to do it later.
thanks for the replys so far keep the info coming
Smaay
mod for mod, stock to stock, the 3rd gen is a much better engine all around. better head, better turbo, better pistons.
Box
Well, upside at least he can get all his parts from a local parts house.
Smaay
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 7, 2012 - 8:32 PM) *

well that is a bonus. but alot of parts carry over. i bet bearings are all the same, some gaskets are the same. but im willing to bet the 3rd gen has a bunch of different gaskets too
DaTerrorist
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 8, 2012 - 12:32 AM) *

i hadnt even thought about that aspect of the 2gen. the only upside ive got is where i live so far. ive got a Competition Clutch distribution center 4 blocks up from me.

QUOTE (Smaay @ Nov 7, 2012 - 11:56 PM) *
mod for mod, stock to stock, the 3rd gen is a much better engine all around. better head, better turbo, better pistons.

so what im hearing is when putting money into the 2nd gen, make sure i go with 3rd gen oem parts and call it good tongue.gif
Smaay
no not quite. some parts will be the same some wont. but anything that you can use OEM i suggest
lagos
Nothing wrong with a 2nd gen swap. I've been rocking mine for some 8 years now.
delusionz
If you're aiming big, then start big. Smaay is only right in this instance because you're skimping $300 on the foundation of this build (your initial selection of motor) yet you're talking about a build that will run you into the 10's of thousands. If you can't afford $300 then you can forget about seeing anything above the factory 220 engine horsepower (minus whatever its lost in the past 20 years)

delusionz
also, try throwing that $300 at your 2nd gen and seeing if you can match the power difference stock-for-stock. what you gonna get for $300? a pod filter, a blow off valve, some new plugs? or is that money going into tweaks pocket for the more difficult loom conversion?
DaTerrorist
almost every 1 bashing the 2nd gen.
QUOTE (delusionz @ Nov 9, 2012 - 5:06 AM) *
If you're aiming big, then start big. Smaay is only right in this instance because you're skimping $300 on the foundation of this build (your initial selection of motor) yet you're talking about a build that will run you into the 10's of thousands. If you can't afford $300 then you can forget about seeing anything above the factory 220 engine horsepower (minus whatever its lost in the past 20 years)

im not looking to break land speed records. 350hp is basically unseein in the town i live so y bother with going and doubling it. like i posted when i stared this topic 350-400hp is wat im aiming for. do i know if its going to happen or not, no. just like no one knows if they are going to wake up tomorrow morning.

and, not that its any of your business but yes right now i cant afford the extra $300. 5 month old baby at home and the wife just got custody of her 2 kids back SO NO i cant afford the extra 300 bucks. back a year ago when i bought the motor u know what i saw when looking at it. i saw a 3sgte for 900 bucks. which is a f***ing steal for these motors.

if i wanted to go with a better build i would have saved up more and bought a mr2 and swapped it or found 1 of the 3 '83 celica supras in the state i live in and bought 1 of those then swapped it. but no i bought what i could afford. which is a 1996 celica st and a2nd gen motor. frankly idfc what every 1 has to say about the 2nd gen motor bc the motor can still be built for my power goal.

now if we can actually stick to the topic at hand that would be great
njccmd2002
˙əlqɐlıɐʌɐ əq llıʍ sʇɹɐd ʇsɐəl ʇɐ ˙ʇlɐs ɟo uıɐɹƃ ɐ ɥʇıʍ əɔıʌpɐ ʎɹəʌə əʞɐʇ 'ʞɔnl noʎ ɥsıʍ ˙ʎəuoɯ ɹnoʎ sʇı 'op oʇ ʇuɐʍ noʎ ɹəʌəʇɐɥʍ op
DaTerrorist
thank for the odd post nj was not able to read it until the laptop was turned upside down laugh.gif i honestly dont expect the car to be done for several years but that doesnt matter to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.