Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Problem?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
1994whitecelicagt
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would consider myself a amateur when it comes to working on cars. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with my car. So a while back my car stopped shifting. I would press the clutch, but it would not free up the gearbox. But after doing research online, I replaced both the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder since people say they wear out eventually. After installing the parts and bleeding the system, the car was able to shift again! But it stopped working the next morning when I tried to drive it. So I've left the car sitting around for a week and checked it again and it shifted! But its just really spontaneous since there are times it would work and maybe in a couple hours it would stop working. Or it wouldn't work and maybe if I try again the next day it would work. Would it be my clutch? Or do I still have air in the system? Any help would be appreciated! I have a 1994 toyota celica gt with about 170,000 and I do not know if the clutch has been replaced since I bought the car used.
Tigawoods
not shifting as in its not entering any gear when the clutch is depressed? Does it get stuck in gear or does it get stuck in neutral?
1994whitecelicagt
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Nov 13, 2012 - 4:32 PM) *
not shifting as in its not entering any gear when the clutch is depressed? Does it get stuck in gear or does it get stuck in neutral?

I mean not shifting as being stuck in neutral. I can not get into any of the gears. But sometimes the next day, I could shift again. And then maybe the day after that, it's stuck in neutral again.
soulshadow
Check your shift cables and motor mounts and make sure nothing is binding them, or if they are worn out. If you can't shift into gears when the car is not running without stepping on the clutch then something is wrong with your transmission.
SallyGloryShine
This happened to me. One of the springs fell out of the clutch disk and kept the pressure plate from fully releasing the clutch disk. When it fell into place it would work once. Then fall out. I replaced both the master and slave like you did. It was the clutch. sorry
1994whitecelicagt
QUOTE (SallyGloryShine @ Nov 15, 2012 - 6:32 PM) *
This happened to me. One of the springs fell out of the clutch disk and kept the pressure plate from fully releasing the clutch disk. When it fell into place it would work once. Then fall out. I replaced both the master and slave like you did. It was the clutch. sorry

Thank you for your input! I was hoping that it wasn't the clutch. But I'll try bleeding the system one more time and if that doesn't work. I'll have to replace the clutch..... That isn't going to be fun though...
BonzaiCelica
perhaps your pressure plate it bad thats what happened to me. What you could do is buy a 2-3 dollar screw driver and cut the screw driver so that you have a longer push rod on the slave cylinder. that'll get you around thats what I did and it worked just fine. Besides you don't really need the clutch once the car is moving. you can even downshift without the clutch as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.