Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what clutch to buy?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Lil-Joe101
I know this topic has been brought up numerous times but I just can't seem to find it in the stickies. Im trying to figure out what clutch I need to buy for my 3sgte swap that I've done. I'm running a 3rd Gen 3sgte with an s54 tyranny. I want to buy a brand new clutch kit. Please help me.
Smaay
Southbend makes a hybrid clutch for your needs. call Andy in the imports. tell him i sent you. you will love their clutch. www.dxdracingclutches.com i highly suggest getting a fidanza flywheel
Syaoran
If you're using an S54 and have a 3S flywheel, you can use a 3S-GTE kit and bring the disc to have the hub swapped from your old disc.

Otherwise buy one pre-built like that like Smaay says. There's a couple companies that do it.
reliqhunter
I heard a lot of fidanzas exploding, is it true or is it just probably intalling it wrong?
Syaoran
Fidanza makes flywheels... don't think they make clutches EDIT: for the 5S/3S
Smaay
^^^ correct they make flywheels, and they do not explode. that is pure BS

here is a fidanza and the southbend TZ clutch next to an old OEM clutch and flywheel

95CelicaST
South Bend Clutch's stage 2 kevlar clutch kit + Fidanza flywheel.

trdproven
Competition Clutch + Competition Clutch Flywheel. Clutch will be hybrid, and ST185 or ST205 Lightened flywheel.
czwalga
I use the exedy 3 puck... but I created a thread a long time ago using centerforces website on how to create your own hybrid clutch. So you can use any brand.

Companies like to charge extra for hybrid clutches, when really all they are doing is combining parts. If you use a company like ACT where you buy the pressure plate and clutch disc seperately, it's easy to get the clutch you're looking for.
Lil-Joe101
I guess what I'm really trying try to get at is, do I buy a 3sgte flywheel n s54 clucht I.e. anything for a 94 get or what?
Smaay
no you are not getting it. you are installing a 3S-GTE engine so you NEED a 3S-GTE flywheel.

since you are using a 3S-GTE flywheel you NEED a 3S-GTE pressure plate.

you are using an S54 transmission so you need a 3S-GTE disk with a center hub for the S54. like i said earlier, Southbend makes this setup. Call Andy and tell him i sent you. he will take care of you. you will be VERY happy with this combination
Lil-Joe101
OK smaay don't yell at me, I hate loud noises, lol. Guess I will be checkin em out after I get back from this deployment
mgnt232
Im looking into doing the same thing. Now if i call andy i have no idea what your actual name is for who sent me lol. Ill prob call them tomorrow though, because I will be using the s54 trans. Now with the hybrid clutch nothing on my end needs to be done really, just install it correct?
Also the axles I will be using is it just the GT axles? thanks
richee3
^^ Correct. Just install the clutch, same as any other. You would only need to use different axles if you use a different transmission, so GT axles will work.
mgnt232
Just bought mine smile.gif
QUOTE (richee3 @ Dec 6, 2012 - 11:58 AM) *
^^ Correct. Just install the clutch, same as any other. You would only need to use different axles if you use a different transmission, so GT axles will work.

Smaay
My name is Jeff Church, Andy knows me well as Smaay too.
mgnt232
Yes i bought it a little while ago, he seemed pretty knowledgeable about the swap, and knew exactly what I wanted.
thanks
TRDweaponX
Read this article from ACT to help choose the right setup http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1206-in-...utch-tech-talk/
Lil-Joe101
Called Southbend today and got my clutch ordered. Thanks Smaay for the help man. I will be going with Southbend Stage 2 kevlar clutch + Act Pro Light Flywheel.
rave2n
QUOTE (Lil-Joe101 @ Mar 18, 2013 - 10:54 AM) *
Called Southbend today and got my clutch ordered. Thanks Smaay for the help man. I will be going with Southbend Stage 2 kevlar clutch + Act Pro Light Flywheel.

Nice!

Sounds like you went a step above me, I only did the "HD" package.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.