Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MBC questions.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Uppitycracker
Alright Im new to the turbo scene and Im exploring the possibility of increasing my performance, and am currently on a tight budget. I was hoping to have sometihng for spring time, I was looking into a boost controller and obviously I cant spend 800CND on a EBC, so I was searching around the mr2 forums and they were talking about just using the ebay mbc's, they are only like 12 bucks which seems to good to be true but at the same time its not like a mbc is all that complex.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ShippingPayment

So anyone ever purchased something similar? And please spare me the "get what you pay for", Im more or less more concerned with safety rather then it working or not. Is there any advantage to buying a more expensive product other then it looking better?
Supersprynt
With the MBC's, im thinking whats the purpose? Yeah u can control ur boost but you gotta get outta ur car, you gotta increase boost, check it by driving? And then do it all over again to u get it right.

This is what i was thinking: Your crusing on the high way and some big shot in a Honda thinks he's all that, now the 3sgte by itself is going to kick the crap outta him anyways, but what if its something more powerful or you want to just dessimate the honda WHILE driving. Are you going to stop, pop the hood, turn the boost up, and then do it, no you want something in cabin or preset.

EBC's are insanely expensive. I was so set on the Apex'i but after i looked at it, yeah it has RPM based boosting which is real nice, but alot of other things frankly, i dont really need.

So i've decided to go Dual Mechanical. TurboXS has a dual mechanical which has 2 presets. One you set for normal driving (stock if you want) and one thats increased. Im increasing mine to about 11 cuz 12 is boost cut so i dont wanna run the risk of cutting while driving. A switch is included and while driving with the flip of a switch you can go from 1 preset to the other. Its also good so you can launch from low boost with low traction loss and boost it up in 2nd gear and take off.

Thats just my 2 cents, i'm going either TurboXS dual mechanical or Dawes Devices dual mechanical (bout $50 less).
Uppitycracker
Ya that is a consideration but basically what Im thinking about doing is have the boost set to 15 psi all the time, from what Ive read its safe for the engine and is no more harmful then have boost set too 8psi all the time. Which leads to my next issue. Fuel cut, I just got done reading about making my own FCD and I was having a problem understanding a few things.

http://toymr2.tripod.com/fcd.html

After reading that page I have a few questions:

He talks about setting the ohm value between t1 and t2 according to the chart below, and doing so before installation, Is that value being changed using the pot? and if so why is there a need to set up the pot do read out 4.4v when installing? Or is there more then 1 ajustable screw on the pot?

So basically what Im getting out of it, is I set my initial fuel cut value of 15psi when Im done construting it, then when installing configuring the fcd to the stock fc voltage. Im just having trouble understanding how to set that ohm value?
celicarocker
"This design is very complicated and cannot be replicated because of some hidden machining that some people are not aware of. This is the secret to my design."

call me stupid, but to me it just looks ike a L shaped piece of metal with a screw that allows how much stuff goes through... just like the knobs on my faucet in my kitchen.... hidden machining my ass... more like "please dont realize how simple this is to get yourself at a hardware store"
fastgt
Im with celicarocker

PREACH BROTHER PREACH!!!
97sccelica
QUOTE (fastgt @ Jan 18, 2004 - 9:56 PM)
Im with celicarocker

PREACH BROTHER PREACH!!!

my turboxs mbc does the same thing as that mbc

$10 is a great price, even if it isnt so custom as the guy may claim

its about 10% the cost of a name brand MBC that works in the same exact way.
celicarocker
i know it is, its just funny the way he lays it out... "This design is very complicated and cannot be replicated because of some hidden machining that some people are not aware of. This is the secret to my design." like its something special or something...
SpedToe169
He talks about setting the ohm value between t1 and t2 according to the chart below, and doing so before installation, Is that value being changed using the pot? and if so why is there a need to set up the pot do read out 4.4v when installing? Or is there more then 1 ajustable screw on the pot?

The resistance chart is just for reference. The voltage is what you should really be checking. There is only one adjustment.

I bought the turboXS HPMBC (high performance manual boost controller). Its designed to be more responsive and more precisely adjustable than the ebay valves, but is still affordable ($124). They claim boost onset up to 800rpm sooner than with a typical MBC. The problem with the ebay valves is that they start to bleed boost before they actually get to full boost. This means that you don't get to full boost as quickly as you should.
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (SpedToe169 @ Jan 19, 2004 - 9:45 AM)

The resistance chart is just for reference. The voltage is what you should really be checking. There is only one adjustment.

I bought the turboXS HPMBC (high performance manual boost controller). Its designed to be more responsive and more precisely adjustable than the ebay valves, but is still affordable ($124). They claim boost onset up to 800rpm sooner than with a typical MBC. The problem with the ebay valves is that they start to bleed boost before they actually get to full boost. This means that you don't get to full boost as quickly as you should.

Hey thanks for the info man, Ill have too really take that into consideration about the mbc, maybe Ill just get the turboxs from twos r us.

Ok I read through the page about making the FCD and have a better understanding about how the pot works, it works on ratios, spliting the current, I missed that part":P. So I take a gauge and pump, pump the line till the gauge reads 15 psi, then adjust the pot till Im getting a 4.4v signal? I think I got her!!":) Ok so those values he gives, does that bypass the whole pump and gauge procedure??
afroman
we bought one fpr my friends eclipse. it didnt work worth sh*t so i wouldnt buy one unless it was from turboxs. just my $.02
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (afroman @ Jan 19, 2004 - 5:09 PM)
we bought one fpr my friends eclipse. it didnt work worth sh*t so i wouldnt buy one unless it was from turboxs. just my $.02

Thanks for the tip man. Did he take into acount fuel cut and have a boost gauge to see what he was boosting at? just wondering.

Also I went by radio shack tonight just so I could make the thing and have it around for the spring and just for something to do. I could see any electrical components I needed, Ive shopped there before for parts and they had everything but I think they've down sized there parts section. I started reading my list to one of the clerks and he directed me to the computer cards, I was like uhhhhh thanks..*cough* and just walked away. So Ill probably just head to a larger city radio shack some day.
afroman
yeah we had a boost gauge it read was reading about 14 or 15 depending on how cold it was. he had injectors and i think i boost dependant fuel pressure regulator. we had a shop help us put it in and it just didnt do nething. so maybe the one we got was bad or they installed it wrong who knows. so i hope it helps.
scothaniel
I have the DeJon Tool Lo-Hi MBC on my car. Works great, never get any boost spikes. I also set up a hidden kill switch to force it to low boost mode, great for vallet parking or leaving it at a shop.

http://www.dejontool.com/DSM-MBC.htm

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.