Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ST205 Total Rebuild
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Nial
I was certain I started a build thread on here, but for the life of me I can not find it so forgive me if I start again and its old news.

About a year and a half ago my current GT4 failed its yearly inspection (MOT) with rusty sills, they were fixed and it subsequently passed but it set alarm bells ringing in my head that the poor things days were numbered.

I decided that I would buy a shell and swap everything onto it. so I hunted for a reasonable shell to start work on.

While I was looking, I had to extend my garage. I only had a single car garage so not enough space to work or store stuff.

So I decided to extend my garage backwards a bit

Work started.

and after a few weeks, finished ;0

About the same time a shell turned up, well it was sold as a shell, but it was more or less a complete car minus the engine and gearbox.

It was in good condition with no rust, even the interior was in pretty much spot on condition, not that I need much of it

I set to wrok more or less straight away

First job was to strip everything off the car

everything went, all the looms, glass, suspension the works

Next job was to remove the sound deadening material

it then went outside for a thorough jet wash go get rid of all the years of crap

As I was moving the battery to the inside I could remove the battery tray

which I did

Next up I needed to get to the bottom of the car....this was going to require some ingenuity.
Nial
I was going to have to make my own rotisserie.

So ack off to the wood yard, a few lengths of 2x4 and I made this

It was about now I realised two things. One I was going to have to learn to weld and two..my plans for this car were changing quite dramatically......a fancied making a cross between a rally car and a GT car...no idea how I was going to achieve this, but the seeds had been set in my mind and for once they stayed there.

So I rushed out and purchased a MIG welder....learning to weld was pretty easy to be honest, by no means as neat as the pros but not bad for a complete novice.

So I made a rotisserie

It fitted like a glove and worked perfectly

A quick look revealed the sills were pretty mangled

so I had to fix them up as best I could

At the same time I started blasting and painting with good old POR15 the subframes and suspension parts

The came out quite nice

did the prop shaft too, started a bit rough

came up well

also cleaned up the steering rack

and the alloy diff end plate....gave it a good polish

Next up I started the worst job I have ever attempted
Nial
Tackling the stone guard on the bottom of the car.

I cant count the amount of drill & angle grinder wire brush attachments I have gone through.

it makes alot of dust and takes what seems like forever

slow slow work

this stage took about a month

at last, more or less done

I then painted it with more POR15

More or less at the time I was ready to slit my wrists due to constant wire brushing the roll cage turned up (I still havnt finished under the car....I am going to get the rest sand blasted....i just cant face it any more

A brief test fitting and I was starting to get excited.....I was going to have to break out the welder again smile.gif

Nial
First job was to add some strengthening to the top of the rear suspension tops, so i removed the odd metal bracing off them (i think its used to just hold the rear plastics in place?)

I then made a template

and then a metal top (3mm mild steel)

and one for the other side

Once I had welded these to the car it was time to start getting the roll cage in

I filled the aerial hole whilst I was at it

Anyway, back to the cage, more bits turned up

this was starting to get serious

this ties in the rear sub frame to the cage, helps keep things stiff

nearly there

as you can see my welding isnt great, but as its more or less the seond thing I have ever welded in my life i was mildly pleased with it

Done

i had decided that I didnt want a full cage, at the end of the day it will be just a road car so getting in and out easily is a priority

Next up I decided it was about time to learn how to cast new metal parts, as for what I had in mind the parts do not exist, I was going to have to make them.
Nial
I was going to have to make myself a mini blast furnace...and learn how to cast metal

I needed these

I turned the bin into a furnace with the use of some fire cement

fill it with charcol, attach a heat gun, ignite and stand back

I made a vessel from a spare piece of square tube...it gets pretty hot

hot enough to melt alloy

I still needed to learn how to make sand moulds so stopped there for the time being, I will pick that up again later.
Nial
Taking a long look at my roll cage, I was not happy with the welds. so i decided to dress them, smooth them out, add a little body filler and make them smooth

started looking much better although I did have to remove the main hoop cross member for access

dont worry its not going to be that colour, thats just filler primer

at the same time I cleaned up the floor and primed that ready for paint

the boot aswell....I also welded the cross member back in

Next up was the seam sealer, so I masked off the areas I was going to apply it to

then applied the U-Pol grey stripe seam sealer (nasty stuff)

and that is about where I am up to today. Just been out into the garage to remove the masking tape. it looks a bit messy, but when its primed over the top you can hardly tell its there. I will add more pictures when I have taken them.

I will update when I get a chance but I work pretty slowly so dont expect much.
hope I havnt bored you to death

more to come

Nial
Batman722
Great job.
That's a ton of work, impressive.
Ted95
Not your everyday build, excellent job so far man.
Tigawoods
super diy!!
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (Nial @ Dec 16, 2012 - 2:06 PM) *
hope I havnt bored you to death

Quite the contrary. Excellent.
malpaso
You are unbelievable Nial smile.gif. You are true faffer wink.gif
Nial
Thanks all, glad you like it smile.gif

QUOTE (malpaso @ Dec 17, 2012 - 5:06 AM) *
You are unbelievable Nial smile.gif. You are true faffer wink.gif

Cheers. means alot from a fellow faffer smile.gif I hope the end result looks as nice as your car.
Edser
Looks great! It'll be like new!
Just one thing I was wondering about. I don't know much about roll cages, but it is my understanding that if you put in racing seats and harnesses you'll need a horizontal shoulder height beam to attach the harnesses to (the reason being, to avoid spinal compression in the event of an accident). Have you considered this?
Nial
QUOTE (Edser @ Dec 17, 2012 - 6:28 AM) *
Looks great! It'll be like new!
Just one thing I was wondering about. I don't know much about roll cages, but it is my understanding that if you put in racing seats and harnesses you'll need a horizontal shoulder height beam to attach the harnesses to (the reason being, to avoid spinal compression in the event of an accident). Have you considered this?

I will be using normal belts, If I want to use a racing harness I will attach it to the rear strut brace as the Rally Cars did. as they lie within the tollernece angles to avoid such injuries.
richee3
Great work so far! I can't wait to see where this goes.
S8S8
Nice work! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Nial
I dont know if you guys like small regular updates, or big updates every yew months?

well here is a little update. I just about finished the seam sealer today but to show you a comparison, one side of the car is finished and the seam sealer has been primed, the other side it has just been applied.

Left side it has just been applied, right side has had two coats of seam sealer and had primer sprayed over the top. I am pleased that you can hardly see anything despite the fact it will all be covered over with sound mat.....just because you cant see it dosent mean it cant be right.

cheeky shot of the cage

enderswift
just because you cant see it doesn't mean it cant be right

This is how I know this thread will be good
Nial
I have been busy recently, but have found some time to spend on this project.

I stripped down the petrol tank

gave it a good paint

the obligatory walbro fuel pump

all back together with some stainless steel bolts

rejuvenated the fuel tank straps

started rebuilding the rear axels

managed to rescue the rear brake disc backing plates

they came up well

Found a product called Deox C which is great at getting rid of rust, bought the rear hub carriers up a treat

and I got alot of bolts zinc plated

and the door catches chromed

things are starting to go back together now, the rear subframe and suspension parts are all half built, just waiting for the paint on the rear hubs to dry and cure and they can go back together, need some snap rings for the rear axels, then they can go back on. Rear diff can be completed tomorrow if I get time.

paulgtt
absolutely epic Nial, top work.
fancy doing my car when your done with this one? biggrin.gif
Nial
QUOTE (paulgtt @ Feb 25, 2013 - 4:10 PM) *
absolutely epic Nial, top work.
fancy doing my car when your done with this one? biggrin.gif

Hahaha...errr no thanks, this one has taken long enough.....if you dont mind loosing your car for about 4 years and costing...well this will probably cost me the thick end of £30,000 by the time I am done.
delusionz
f**k yeah! I want to reshell into yours!!!
Legen-dary
Wow, just wow. I truly admire your attention to detail. I've done some detailed builds over the years but it really falls short of the amount of work you're putting in here. Really looking forward to future updates. I've gotta ask though...what on earth do you want to make that requires you cast your own metal parts??
Nial
QUOTE (Legen-dary @ Feb 25, 2013 - 10:28 PM) *
I've gotta ask though...what on earth do you want to make that requires you cast your own metal parts??

I was going to make an alloy version of the bracket that holds the alternator in place but it prooved too difficult. I kind of knew from the start it would be, I just wanted to make fire smile.gif and a noise like a jet engine. biggrin.gif

The insides have now been completed, all the seam sealing has been done and painted. roll cage is ready for a coat of colour, I think I am going to go for a satin black finish. smile.gif

delusionz
Ahhh is that what that was, I was thinking of just grinding off the humps from the radiator and making a flat L bracket, either that or getting some alloy stumps welded on and using brackets from another car. just some ideas.

of all the chinese copy alloy rads out there I'm guessing some line up the brackets others dont, i had to carve out the rubber bush from mine to fit
Nial
QUOTE (delusionz @ Feb 26, 2013 - 4:25 AM) *
Ahhh is that what that was, I was thinking of just grinding off the humps from the radiator and making a flat L bracket, either that or getting some alloy stumps welded on and using brackets from another car. just some ideas.

I will be building my radiator from scratch so will be doing something similar...TTE used this method so it must be effective.
delusionz
do you know what the pre-rad thing is on the TTE car, i cant work it out, is it transfering engine heat with oil, or cycling water for the turbo or what

as im sure your well aware of engine bay temps, i think were on the same page when it comes to cooling system design, i tried to follow TTE too
Nial
QUOTE (delusionz @ Feb 26, 2013 - 4:50 AM) *
do you know what the pre-rad thing is on the TTE car, i cant work it out, is it transfering engine heat with oil, or cycling water for the turbo or what

as im sure your well aware of engine bay temps, i think were on the same page when it comes to cooling system design, i tried to follow TTE too

Thats an engine oil cooler (it replaces the one on the front of the block). I have one similar to that sat on the shelve in the garage although you can still buy TTE ones, but they cost about £1500
Nial
Well, it's been a while, haven't done much on the car really. I have taken the bonnet catch apart which I am going to get chromed, then I have had to have custom stepped rivets made so I can put it all back together again. I have also been working on the interior, a few ideas which have fallen by the wayside and a few new ideas.

I started rebuilding the interior plastics to work around the roll cage, a bit more complex than I bargained for, but its going to challenge my fibreglassing skills.

Now that I have finally taken the other Faff off the road I can start transferring bits over.

After talking to some rally boffins and TTE experts I have decided on two options for the engine rebuild. Initially I am going to use a 185 block and head as these are stronger than the 205 block, the head isn't as good but is more workable...or some am told. Also there are more bits available for the 185 blocks like moroso sumps etc will re using my Link G3 ECU with a brand new engine loom. Plans are afoot for a TTE charge cooler. smile.gif
Dennisthe10
Love this thread, your car is going to be epic!
Nial
Its been a while, but a bit of progress this weekend.

I got hold of an ST202 front bumper, an old knackered GT4 front bumper, both of which I have cut up to make into one. I also managed to get hold of a TOMs front lip which I think suits the car very well.

had to use the parts car to line the bumper up.

still so much to do and it seems like two steps forward one step backwards all the time. i might have retired by the time I finish this rebuild.
richee3
Love that bumper. smile.gif
JoshuaM
Oh, so not content with a perfectly rebuilt st205.... have to go and make it an amazingly awesome SS-FOUR whilst you're at it... tongue.gif
SwissFerdi
Very funny, I actually had that idea myself (SS-FOUR + TOM's lip) a few months ago. I was wondering if anyone else had done it. Nice job Nial!
Nial
Thanks smile.gif just need to start sanding it all smooth now....anyone want to lend me a spare arm? I think I am going to need it.
kurt95gt
Good to see an update on such a sweet build
Nial
QUOTE (JoshuaM @ Sep 8, 2013 - 5:11 PM) *
Oh, so not content with a perfectly rebuilt st205.... have to go and make it an amazingly awesome SS-FOUR whilst you're at it... tongue.gif

Hahaha,I was thinking instead of SS-Four, how about GT4 Evolution? But then I thought everyone would think I was copying the Mitsubishi Evo name.
Nial
Hmmmm shiny bits

cjh4l22
Wow, most impressive sir. Keep up the good work! And if you ever decide to take the motor mounts out and make copies, I would be happy to buy a set. haha Thanks.
Nial
Thanks smile.gif

i will just be using standard motor mounts!.....i think!
onnaj
Really really impressive! Nice work!
rentaspace
Just read through this whole build... I am so jealous it is not funny man.

I wish I had the time, money, patients and skill to pull this off...

Make us some of those bumpers? biggrin.gif
KAOS
Excellent!
Nial
Thanks.....have been busy paint stripping and underseal stripping today as I will be repainting the chassis with epoxy paint and redoing all the seam sealer. Will be so glad when its done, stripping it all off with a wire wheel is a nightmare, especially trying to get into all the nooks and crannies. Then I can start rebuilding the bottom of the car. Will be ordering some BC coilovers...then the expensive bit......buying all new suspension arms.......why are the damn things so expensive??
Nial
Still removing paint and underseal......sigh. Just the fiddle bits left to do which is no fun at all.

Beginning to wish I had a compressor and sand blaster.

As you can see there isn't a great deal more on the GT4 than the normal celica for the rear sub frame. For those wishing to do a proper GT4 conversion you should be able to get the extra bits to weld to a non GT4 to allow for fitment of the rear subframe. Would need looking into it in a bit more detail just to make sure there isn't any hidden parts, but it shouldn't be a difficult task. It would make it as close as possible to a GT4 without buying one.

I can check part numbers for those wishing to investigate.

As you can see, I don't have much room to work in frown.gif
Nial
I could do the chassis welding route, but for two reasons, one, my welding isn't very good, and two, there is an art to chassis welding to get it right, It's easy to balls it up and ruin a good chassis....but mainly my welding isn't very good :lol:

Managed to put the bonnet catch back together after I dismantled it to get it zinc plated

I also got some of this

So I can make a mould of and replicate the rear high level brake light in clear plastic instead of the standard red, it's only practice as I will be filling in the standard high level brake light and rebuilding the trailing edge of the spoiler out of clear plastic and LEDs for a different type of brake light 8)

I pick up the BC coilovers on saturday, and another gt4 front bumper to use the small slot intake on the hybrid 202/205 bumper.
malpaso
QUOTE (Nial @ Oct 10, 2013 - 9:43 PM) *
...on the hybrid 202/205 bumper.

FYI it is called "ss-four bumper" biggrin.gif . Official name for it wink.gif.

btw.: you are more crazy than expected... unbeliveable bowdown.gif

Nial
Well, not much being done today, spent a large portion of the day driving around the country picking up bits n pieces.

Did pick up these though smile.gif

the obligatory suspension in a box shot....some nice BC coilovers

The castings are in the garage currently painted in grey self etching primer.

I picked up yet another GT4 front bumper to finish off the SS4 front bumper.....that will be 3 GT4 front bumpers that have bitten the dust thanks to me biggrin.gif....oh well.

Tomorrow, hopefully I will complete the cleaning off of the bottom of the car so I can do the final derust and clean ready for applying the paint next weekend.
Nial
Finally getting round to finishing the SS4 front bumper

Nial
Well finally got to apply some paint instead of stripping it off.

still some stripping to do in the engine bay area, but I have to get this painted before the weather gets too cold.....paint dosent like being applied in the cold....paints a wuss :lol: :lol: :lol:

After another coat of epoxy mastic, I will apply some seam sealer in a few areas, then some POR high build tie coat primer as the epoxy mastic has load of brush marks, it will then get a smoothing rub down before I apply some POR15 flex coat for a silky smooth glossy finish thumbsup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.