Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ST205 Total Rebuild
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Ted95
Ss4 bumper looks great! The attention to detail in this build is out of this world, fantastic job so far Nial!
Nial
Thanks very much smile.gif

I am at the point now where i just want it finished so I can drive it smile.gif
Nial
Frustrating day #618.

After much sanding and sanding and sanding, i was finally ready to apply some epoxy mastic 421 undercoat, i carefully masked off the car, a task which in itself took a whole day. I launched my new Devilbiss GPi spray gun and merrily sprayed away, looking like a pale darth vader in all the spray gear, respirator etc in managed to scare the local cats away and spray toxic material without dieing..........the finished job looked okay for a beginner/amateur/novice but one of my neigbours decided that it would be a good time to "beat a rug", now thats not a metafor for anything rude, but who the hell beats a rug these days? Havnt they heard of a vacuun cleaner? Needless to say, the laws of "f?ck you Nial" came into play and all of the dust from the rug managed to drift directly into my garage, dont swirl around the neigbourhood at all giving me a chance, it was like someone had stuck a dust magnet in my car, the beautiful primer now looked like it had mange, either that or the shell suddenly reached puberty as i am sure theres a pubic hair or two gracing the roof. Luckily the primer had semi set so alot of it just blew off with the airgun, the rest, well it looks like i am back to sanding again, began wet sanding yesterday, finish it off today and maybe get a new coat of primer down......this time the garage door is staying well and truely shut until the primer is dry.

I also managed to get hold of some projector headlights which after repairing two broken tabs look fabulous. Once i have managed to get this primer down, i will put all the panels on to make sure everything lines up okay before i apply any more paint....fingers crossed its not rug beating day again. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Batman722
Ha !
Box
I would've walked over and beat them down with the rug, so you handled it better than I would. Actually I'm not into getting arrested so I wouldn't, but I really would have gone over to tell them to go beat their rug behind the house instead of out in the open for all to see. Of course at that point they probably would assume something instead of taking things literal, but that's ok too.
Nial
Today went slightly better, it's nice and sunny, perfect spraying weather, warm and not too humid. Although I must remember to make note of where the airline is......whoops.

And no rug beating.

Nial
UP YOURS you rug beating bar stewards.

Your dust creating ways can't defeat me.

Box
Huzzah! Sucks you had to do it twice, but it looks good.
Nial
Thanks smile.gif although i noticed i missed a spot on the underside near where the rear bumper goes. I might have to invest in a mini spray gun to make spraying the sills easier.
Nial
TRD strut brace finished and fitted with stainless domed nuts or acorn nuts.

I thought that the regular nuts didn't look very smart, these finish off the suspension tops a lot better.

enderswift
I don't think its possible to do a better job resto-modding a gt4. Seriously good job, it all looks awesome!
Nial
Thanks smile.gif I am trying my best. Getting very frustrated with the painting and lack of progress at the moment.
dudeofchaos
And now I will never be able to enjoy my own car ever again. Thanks Nial!
Haha awesome work man, can't believe all the job you've done!
Nial
The project has been on hold for a few weeks whilst I rewire the garage, and add some lights smile.gif

Back to spraying again tomorrow.

QUOTE (dudeofchaos @ Jul 30, 2016 - 4:45 AM) *
And now I will never be able to enjoy my own car ever again. Thanks Nial!
Haha awesome work man, can't believe all the job you've done!

Cheers bud smile.gif I just wish I could work faster. I sometimes think I will never get to drive this car smile.gif
BonzaiCelica
YOUR MAKING great progress. as long as you have a goal time in mind you will get it finished. a member who had the curren front end and was planning to do the awd turbo conversion didn't have a goal time for when he'd complete it and several years passed more than 4 im sure) and never finished
Nial
Sorry for the lack of updates, i do minor updates on my facebook page, had a few mistakes along the way, mostly silly things like forgetting to put hardener in the clear coat etc. But ,aking some good progress now.....at last.

Starting to get some colour down smile.gif its only the underside of the bonnet, but a successful step for a diy novis paint sprayer

And the Toms front lip done

And getting thebrear crash bar refurbished

jordisonjr
Man that is an awesome color! Can't wait to see more updates, regardless how slow it is. Sometimes that's just how it goes!
Nial
Thanks, i just wish i had more time, but with a eight month old daughter priorities change.......a bit.
Box
That is an interesting colour, kind of blueish-grey looking. I like it.
Nial

Managed to get the front bumper sprayed, not perfect but it will be soon, a couple of runs and some dust but easily sorted with a bit of wet n dry.
Box
Now it looks more greenish-grey. I've seen that color before, think it was on a TVR.
Nial
Its a blue grey with a slight metalic in it, the colour tends to reflect whats aroind it slightly, on sunny clear days it looks very blue, on dull days it looks almost battleship grey, it probably looks green as its reflecting the grass a bit.
Box
I really like it, subtle and mysterious. Can't wait to see the car done.
Nial
QUOTE (Box @ Sep 7, 2016 - 5:19 PM) *
I really like it, subtle and mysterious. Can't wait to see the car done.

Niether can i, although i must admit i will be a bit lost when there is no more painting to do as pretty much everything to this point over the past four years has been prep for painting.
Nial
Coming along nicely. Although today I learned don't close the bonnet before attaching the bonnet pull cable........does anyone have a bonnet pull cable for sale smile.gif

r
Ted95
SS4 bumper turned out great man!
Nial
Thanks, i am bery pleased with it. Maybe a few very minor things on it could be better but for jownit will do smile.gif
Nial
Starting to put things back together now. the bodywork needs a bit of flat polishing to get it perfect like a mirror, i have done the roof and it has come up amazing, well pleased.

cheela
getting closer and closer.
love the color. thumbsup.gif
Nial
Thanks smile.gif a little progress every day soon mounts up. Still a few bits to spray but I am taking a break for a while now.
Nial
Hi all. Had a few ups and downs over the past couple of months. The engine still isnt done although waiting patiently for it. Wheels should be here in the next couple of weeks. I noticed a dent in the rear quarter panel so had to strip the paint off and start again, although its winter so will wait until the summer. FMIC has arrived although not fitted yet.....theres nothing to fit it too smile.gif i have been doing some messing around with the rear spoiler, nothing serious, i dont know if it will make it onto the finished car or not, but it helps pass the winter months. I always had a soft spot for the Ferrari f40, especially the GT version and its "different rear wing" so i thought i might have a go at replicating it on an old wing inwas going to throw out. So i cut the centre section out.

I then bought myself a double stack cheapo universal rear wing from ebay. It was too wide and i didnt need the end plates but otherwise it was perfect. So i made new end plates.

Then bolted it all togther, pretty easy stuff. I still need to attach the oem wind ends to it but i am waiting for a delivery of epoxy resin to come. So i did a quick mock up. It still needs all bolting togther and mounting on the raiser blocks, but you get the idea.

I am sure it wont be to everyones taste, not even sure if i like it....i like it more than i thought i would, but i dont know if it will make it onto the finished car or not or just be a bit of fun, will see what it looks like when its finished.

Cant remember if i posted this already, but i also fitted one of the oil coolers, but this has been removed to refine the mounting positions as i found some perfect rubber mounting blocks on ebay so just waiting for them to arrive. I also have to move the welded on FMIC mounting points...doh.... which are only 20mm out, but if its not right.....its wrong smile.gif

This is the wing i am trying to replicate

njccmd2002
would love to see the finished product. but i really like it. would be great if the wings could be adjustable
Nial
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jan 16, 2017 - 3:57 PM) *
would love to see the finished product. but i really like it. would be great if the wings could be adjustable

It is adjustable, both as a whole and just the top bit on its own.
Box
Oooh the F40 is one of my favourite supercars. The adjustable wing will be cool.
Nial

These will cool the engine oil and the gearbox oil. all stainless fittings and correctly rubber mounted.

In front of those is the FMIC also with stainless fittings and rubber mounted.

Oh, and the finished....ish, rear wing.....dont like it.

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nialusa/media/Celica%20Rebuild/IMG_0303_zps1aft8y8d.jpg.html][/URL]

not sure if i like it or not, will leave it for the time being until i decide what to do with it

But enough of that, back to the serious stuff.
BonzaiCelica
wow great stuff. the wing looks similar to what mr2 guys are doing.

perhaps that f40 style rear wing would look better on a TRD spoiler.

oh wow no A/C okay....
Nial
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 9, 2017 - 1:50 PM) *
oh wow no A/C okay....

I live in England, its never that hot smile.gif
Box
But you need the compressor to take care of the condensation from all the rain. tongue.gif

As far as the wing goes I think it'd look better with the center insert lowered in relation to the front of the posts so that the bottom slat is equal to the tops of the posts in the front, more like the F40 pictured. Hard to tell from the pictures but lowering it maybe two inches/50mm or so would seem about right.
Nial
Lowering it was one idea. Looking at the F40, the front slat is lower than the side supports so it might need dropping even further, will have a mess around later, at the moment o am building driveway gates and a lamp pod smile.gif
Nial
Lamp pod building begins smile.gif

Box
I already feel sorry for the bastard that flashes their brights at you unjustly. laugh.gif
cheela
whoa! you're doing alot of crazy stuff on this build. I love it!
Nial
Thanks although i must be a sucker for punishment sometimes biggrin.gif
BonzaiCelica
this member used to rally (daytime) in his stock at200 chassis. however you set up looks like it'll be very similar to rally spec

Box
Inspiration:
Nial
QUOTE (Box @ Feb 17, 2017 - 2:24 AM) *
Inspiration:

I already have those lamp pods in carbon fibre, ugly things and the 10" lamps are very expensive...and you need six of them.
Box
Yeah, it's not very pretty at all is it? laugh.gif

If it were me I'd use Hella ECE 5.75" or 7" H1/H4 lamps, fairly inexpensive and easily replaced. Which it's hard to tell but I guess that's about what you'll be doing.
Nemises
Amazing work. Makes me want to throw my hat in the ring and build another 6g. But then I think of all the sanding and sanding and sanding. But hats off to you bro. well done so far, your attention to detail is admirable.
Slava771
I just registered to say holy crap Neil you are my hero. 5 years strong in the build is impressive.

My cousin is doing a similar thing to an 85 jetta, it's been a few years for him as well. Went through all the same stuff as you.. his advice to anyone thinking of doing this is to NOT start haha.

I'm sure the result will be nothing short of showcar quality.
Nial
Due to lack of time and family commitments i dont get much chance to post on forums anymore, also posting pictures via photobucket on an ipad is a pain in the ......well you know what.....so i will now only do my update on Facebook, sorry, its a pain i know and its not fair on forums to resort to fb as its killed off alot of great forums, but its easier given the circumstances. I would rather spend time with my 16month old daughter than mess around trying to get photobucket to work and post on forums.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild/?ref=bookmarks

Hopefully you will get to see the finished article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.