Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ST205 Total Rebuild
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Nial
Tigawoods
awesome, its out of the garage!
Nial
I know...amazing isnt it, never thought i would see the day.
Box
Victory burnouts!
Nial
Still no engine so it wont be much of a burnout smile.gif maybe Fred Flintstone style smile.gif
Langing
Is there NOTHING left to do, other than install and tune the engine?
Nial
Lots, the interior needs sorting out, sound system fitting, dash fitting, refit the tank guard or build a suitable defuser, make the radiator shroud, plumb in the oil coolers and power steering cooler, refit the rear wing, wipers, and a whole lot of flat polishing.
BonzaiCelica
are you not terrified of installing the engine with all those nice extieior parts fitted? i believe im going to remove bumper and fenders before i install my engine incase the hoist swings and dings the fenders.. but i'll see when i cross the milestone....
Nial
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Jun 20, 2017 - 9:32 PM) *
are you not terrified of installing the engine with all those nice extieior parts fitted? i believe im going to remove bumper and fenders before i install my engine incase the hoist swings and dings the fenders.. but i'll see when i cross the milestone....

Yes, i will remove some parts, but at the moment due to lack of space, the best and safest place to store stuff is on the car. Also the easiest way to install the engine is to jack / lift the car up and lower it over the engine.
Nial
Wheels on smile.gif

Langing
Takes my breath away, Nial, comparing (in my mind) that picture with the one where you had just mounted it onto your first 'rotisserie'!

It's a thing of beauty, a work of art and love!! BE PROUD!

Congratulations, my friend!
Nial
Cheers bud smile.gif
jordisonjr
I look forward to seeing updates from this all the time, no matter how small.
How long till this things together and on the road? Doesn't seem far now.
Nial
Hopefully by the end of the year, got a call to say the gearbox was done today with third and fourth syncros replaced. Its getting there smile.gif
Nial
Oh well, you can thank photobuckets new "no third party links" policy for killing all the pictures on this thread. All the pictures now appear to be gone. Sorry all. I guess thats the end of that.
Langing
Additional information on what is going on at photobucket is available at a website called --- downdetector.com.

A typical comment posted on downdetector.com:

Mary Anne Reid • 22 days ago

For those of you who have no clue what is going on with PB, they have disabled all 3rd party links unless you are willing to pay $400 a year. What that means: If you run a blog, forum, ebay, etc. page/website and you embed your pics via the 3rd party link option, they are no longer viewable. This has caused extreme outrage and everyone scrambling to attempt to download their albums to salvage their pictures to move to another photosharing website. Visit their Facebook page for more info.

That is one of a great number of comments from outraged customers of Photobucket.

Now, as to your images during the years you have been working on your project, no one would expect you to laboriously rebuild your 'build thread', so it looks as if we are all SOOL, unless someone was to do something to reverse Photobucket's actions, such as file a class action suit to get Photobucket to turn 3rd party links back on. It seems to me that what they have done either is illegal (extortion), or should be made illegal, because the hurt to all of us is quite difficult to absorb or understand. How can anyone continue using the Internet constructively if the very basis disappears? Sorry that it happened to your build in particular, Nial, because I have followed your work since almost day one, and found it truly inspirational.

Or maybe this website owner could negotiate with Phtobucket and come back to all of us to let us decide whether to pay whatever they may demand. At least this would give us an option.
cheela
frown.gif

at least your build isn't dead, just the photos. smile.gif
Langing
The $400/year at Photobucket gives an account capable of 500 gigabytes of photo storage, with 3rd party linkage, fast bandwidth and no advertisements. Photobucket seems to have been intentionally signalling their move for some time by slowing down operations of all free accounts and sticking so many ads in your face that you could hardly navigate. Individuals would choose giving up rather then face that Photobucket system.

Judging from all the bad comments I found on downdetector.com, people are thoroughly frustrated and want off the Photobucket system as fast as possible. And, remember, Photobucket's 'come on' at first was free image hosting, but they provided easy ways to imbed photos into THIRD PARTY WEBSITES, such as ours. Ethically speaking, due to their 'bait and switch' attitude, they ought to grandfather all people who used their system to THIRD PARTY link to on-line fora, and there must be a great many that have used Photobucket that way up until now. Likely, what they are doing now is what they planned from the get-go, cause they wanted to make money.

If Photobucket would provide help to consolidate all individual accounts making up any single on-line forum into one $400/year account, and all members of that forum contributed whatever small amount would be required if the cost was distributed over the entire membership it would take to make up that cost, keeping our images on Photobucket would be far better than the service we currently get (or don't get). After all, no matter where we get on-line photo storage, it costs someone to provide that storage, and eventually we would have to begin paying something.

Consider also the notion of providing that image storage on our own website, run by Coomer. Would members be willing to help Coomer deal with that cost, or the costs he has already borne? When is it ethically right for people to feel they should 'pay' for services they receive on the internet that they are used to getting for free?

It seems to me that the information gathered on our website has intrinsic value that needs to be added to the commonwealth of value to be used by all who need it. Maybe that's not politically correct thinking, but that's how it appears to me.

I said all that because I cannot sleep thinking of the harm being done to our 6GC website by the decision made by Photobucket, along with the way they went about enforcing their need to 'monitize' their website, and my mind keeps searching for a solution that would resurrect our valuable collection of information on the 1994-1999 Toyota Celicas and doing the least harm in the process. Members are already trying to off-load their photos and going to alternate hosting sites. Maybe we could find a 'principal' at Photobucket with whom we could negotiate who would entertain a solution to our problem, one that would apply to all others in similar situations?

Your build thread is a great example of what we lose if we just give up.
Nial
I am sure if it was cheaper then people wouldnt mind paying for photobucket, but as it is they are more or less holding people to ransome. If i had the time i would remove all my photos from photobucket. Can i be bothered....or more likely, do i have the time to upload hundreds of photos back to another hosting site, then go through every forum and relink all the photos......errr, no! Its a shame as out of all the forums 6gc has the most complete history of my rebuild. Combine the photobuclet fiasco with the effect that facebook has had on forums i am suprised any have survived.

In time i will find a new hosting site amd crack on, but i am sorry that the history of this rebuilds pictures are gone for good. Although you arnt missing much, my rebuild has ground to a hault whilst i wait for the engine to get done......its away having the rotational mass balanced at the moment, actual rebuilding should start in about a month.
Nial
Testing 1 2 3

Not sure this is the way to go for pictures, trying something i have not used before.

Anyway, cars getting there, 5sgte nearly finished, interior nearly done blah blah blah.

https://imgur.com/a/1xUcy
slavie
Nice! What are you planning to use to control the engine?

I've been following this thread for a whole and am glad to see you're not giving up on 6GC and still come here to post updates.
Nial
QUOTE (slavie @ Mar 6, 2018 - 1:37 PM) *
Nice! What are you planning to use to control the engine?

I've been following this thread for a whole and am glad to see you're not giving up on 6GC and still come here to post updates.

Not sure yet, I have been drooling over a Syvecs ECU but in all likelyhood I will go for a Link ECU (Whatever the best one is for my needs when the time comes)

I never gave up on 6gc, pretty much the only forum I have stuck with, it was photobucket that ruined it for everyone, i just took time to find a replacement. Not sure if imgur is the best option but time will tell.
Nial
I see photobucket has restored links to pictures.....temporarily anyway.

Still no engine though.

Box
Awww, no gogo and whoosh sounds...
Nial
QUOTE (Box @ May 17, 2018 - 11:44 PM) *
Awww, no gogo and whoosh sounds...

I can sit in the drivers seat and make ”brum brum” noises.
Nial
enderswift
Photos?

Also,

Shun the non believer!
SwissFerdi
Nial
Well that didn’t last long, let’s just say.....the Ford wasn’t.....as advertised and rust had already taken most of it. So what did I buy instead.....a Lancia, yep, from one rust bucket to another, but at least this one has made it onto my driveway, in the US its called the Lancia Scorpion, the rest of the world knows it as a Lancia Montecarlo, its a 2 seat sports car that was used as a base for the group B rally car, Lancia 037, so that’s what I am building, it also happens to be my dream car.

On the Celica front, the engine has arrived, I have most of the parts to enable me to put it into the car, just a few jobs to do, attach the gearbox, the. Its the long hard slog of saving up for things like turbos etc which is going to be difficult with the Lancia eating up a lot of my spare cash.
Fuppylodders
Just read through this whole thread. I'm so short on words right now on how you do literally everything yourself! And how I depth you've gone with it too! Makes me think, when I've got my own place, hopefully with a garage, I'm going to want to take everything apart and send all the nuts and bolts off to be plated as they're about the only thing left on mine that need doing (oh, and rear crash bar).
Your getup and go to learn as you go is astounding to be fair. You give everything a go. Even made your own chassis rotisserie! And now you're bead rolling making your own floor pans! laugh.gif

I'm sorry about the bad news near the end, but I'm so glad you've pulled through it and got your zest for this back (as well as the lancia, I'll be following that progress on Facebook eagerly!) Am keenly following and do really hope you finish this through to the end.
So much respect to you.

How did it go with the resin casting? I noticed you didn't actually mention much about any progression with it. It's something I managed to do with mine and am looking to perfect to get them out to other people (actual clear transparent lens with no light diffusing pattern bumps on the inside of it). A vacuum chamber is a necessity with ckearcasting resin (just a heads up after my many lessons learned!) as well as the type of silicone curing affects it too (just learning that one) as condensation curing can cause fogging which for my first near bubble free lens, had a touch of light fogging. Haven't mastered the use of the other type of silicone yet though, I need bigger pots to mix it in and degass because it keeps overflowing into my vac chamber laugh.gif
Nial
Thanks 🤪 glad it is entertaining someone, just want the celica finished now so i can drive it.

Well, the engine still isnt in, for some unknown reason the engine block didnt have some required bolt holes, so the builder is coming to tap and drill the holes for me once all this covid19 mess is over.

The lancia is coming along nicely and i am currently designing and building the front suspension. Rear spaceframe is all welded in and front spaceframe is partially built waiting for me to attach it to the front.
TimeslideZ
Nial that sucks, I guess it's just the waiting game now. How long do you think you have to wait until the builder is comfortable with coming over to tap+drill the holes?
Nial
QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Jun 5, 2020 - 10:25 AM) *
Nial that sucks, I guess it's just the waiting game now. How long do you think you have to wait until the builder is comfortable with coming over to tap+drill the holes?

Not sure, our current lockdown rules forbid visiting people inside their houses, at a guess i would say a couple of months.
BonzaiCelica
damn they that strict over there. what a load of bs
Bitter
QUOTE (Nial @ Jun 5, 2020 - 10:51 AM) *

Not sure, our current lockdown rules forbid visiting people inside their houses, at a guess i would say a couple of months.

Push it out into the driveway!
Nial
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jun 6, 2020 - 6:22 PM) *
QUOTE (Nial @ Jun 5, 2020 - 10:51 AM) *

Push it out into the driveway!

I cant, project #2 is in the way ☹️
BonzaiCelica
any updates. im losing my mind n its only been 4 years since my tear down...
Nial
No, it still has no engine. The 5sgte is sat behind it in the garage but lockdown has put a temporary end to me finishing it. We are in the middle of our second lockdown which wont end until december. I also need to get project number 2 into a position where i can push it out of the way, the lazer cut parts i have designed should be with me soon so not far off it being mobile enough for me to get the Celica finished.
poleclimber63
QUOTE (Nial @ Nov 19, 2020 - 4:08 PM) *
No, it still has no engine. The 5sgte is sat behind it in the garage but lockdown has put a temporary end to me finishing it. We are in the middle of our second lockdown which wont end until december. I also need to get project number 2 into a position where i can push it out of the way, the lazer cut parts i have designed should be with me soon so not far off it being mobile enough for me to get the Celica finished.

Amazing!! just spent the last half hour skipping through your thread!! I'm speechless, a COMPLETE rebuild with enhancements! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Can't wait until COVID restrictions ease with the vaccine deployment... Unfortunately my sister and brother in law who live in Dorset, are in quarantine, as they have contracted COVID, they are front line workers, and they are having a hard time getting over it...

Anyways, I can't wait to see it on the road, and if the Celica is anything to judge your work by, I'm sure that Lancia will also be a work of art!! It appears rust is a big problem there, I live in BC, Canada and rust isnt really that big an issue. In Eastern Canada and the US mid-west rust is a massive problem. I visited my brother in Toronto in 2017, and observed few vehicles more than 12years old. Our 6th gens are definitely becoming rare... Its great there are guys like yourself preserving these great cars.
smile.gif
Nial
QUOTE (poleclimber63 @ Dec 30, 2020 - 2:29 AM) *
QUOTE (Nial @ Nov 19, 2020 - 4:08 PM) *

Amazing!! just spent the last half hour skipping through your thread!! I'm speechless, a COMPLETE rebuild with enhancements! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Can't wait until COVID restrictions ease with the vaccine deployment... Unfortunately my sister and brother in law who live in Dorset, are in quarantine, as they have contracted COVID, they are front line workers, and they are having a hard time getting over it...

Anyways, I can't wait to see it on the road, and if the Celica is anything to judge your work by, I'm sure that Lancia will also be a work of art!! It appears rust is a big problem there, I live in BC, Canada and rust isnt really that big an issue. In Eastern Canada and the US mid-west rust is a massive problem. I visited my brother in Toronto in 2017, and observed few vehicles more than 12years old. Our 6th gens are definitely becoming rare... Its great there are guys like yourself preserving these great cars.
smile.gif

Thanks 👍 COVID restrictions have been removed here now so I guess life will now more or less return to normal, until the next variant panics people. I have really neglected this car since I got the Lancia, I should have waited until the Celica was finished. A mistake I will not make again….until next time 😂 aiming to get the car on the road by the end of the year funds willing as I need the expensive bits now, turbo and ECU. Fingers crossed I manage to achieve my goal and be enjoying driving it. Sorry to keep everyone waiting…..almost done.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.