Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V6 v6 V6
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2
NOVAKx17
Hey guys, I know its been covered in a variety of posts so excuse my laziness but after alot of searching I know what v6s can be used but if you guys could enlighten me and post what vehicles and years they are in, possibly with the numbers they make, it would be very appreciated!
Box
Smaay and Kurt have swapped in V6's. I think Smaay has a 1MZ/3MZ hybrid, and Kurt has a 1MZ. Variety of vehicles had the 1MZ, not many had manuals though. Only ones that had manuals, that come to mind, is the 97-02 Camry/Solara. All others were automatics, so if you want to use a manual it'll require some modification in that regard. Being you have a GT you have it a little easier since you could use your transmission, and only need 1? custom mount. Personally I'd want to use the E153 over the S54.
NOVAKx17
Correct, just the passenger mount ...
And I am in the early research stage and still drawn between boost and straight na v6 power... just need to fond out all models it came in, I believe some lexus too correct?
njccmd2002
hondas, jettas and nissans also have v6
Box
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MZ_engine

Wikpedia yo. tongue.gif
Smaay
search my project thread. i had a hybrid before but it started tapping, so now its a full on 3MZ. im using the 1MZ intake manifold and ECU to run the engine. i have no VVT support and i still made 221HP and 241TQ. im using an E153 trans with MR2 inners and ST185 outters, with NO spacer!

i would have made a little more power if i used the stock S54 trans. also if you use the S54 you only need a passenger engine mount that i make for 200 bucks.

what else do you want to know except is freaking awesome fun to drive. now i did drive Eryns car with a 3rd Gen 3S-GTE and at 18 psi that thing hauls ass. i bet its easily in the 320 range for HP and TQ. but that swap probably cost her close to 3000 bucks where the V6 shouldnt cost more than 1500
NOVAKx17
What all vehicles are the 3mz in?
And im reading yours and kurts... lots of pages ha
And I know, either way I decide to go somethings being bought from you lol
and I was planning. On keeping my stock Tranny unless my deal comes thru with the lad trans from
Pitt firefighter ...
And I am planning on doing wiring and all maintenance work myself and just having the swap ready for this summer or when my clutch goes.. whatever comes first....
Box
QUOTE (NOVAKx17 @ Jan 1, 2013 - 6:40 PM) *
What all vehicles are the 3mz in?

What part of Wikipedia do you not understand. tongue.gif
NOVAKx17
I don't wiki ... I smayy lol
I want to know what works best and is the best ways to go
Or ill end up with a v6 that ill never get to work
(:
Box
From my understanding an early 1MZ-FE is the easiest way to go.
njccmd2002
2grfe period, dont waste your time
kurt95gt
My setup now it as follows
98 Toyota avalon 1mz
96 Lexus es300 intake msnifold, exhaust manifolds, an charcoal can setup.
97 Toyota camry v6 ecu
93 Lexus es300 flywheel.
97 camry v6 maf sensor
Southbend 3sgte pressure plate an s54 clutch disc an throwout bearing
s54 trans with stock axles.
Custom pass side motor mount an a custom made pass side axle carrier bearing mount.
I had Mr220v do my wiring. He did a great job. You should deff think about having it done.
You'll also need custom rad hoses too.

Try to get a newer 1mz to avoid the oil sludging problems.
That's what killed my first 1mz lol
NOVAKx17
What 1mzs should I look for? Year range and vehicle types?
I would prefer to keep the s54.
Seems the simplest way to go.
I've been reading your thread as well, 52 pages tho kindasad.gif
And im going to do the wiring myself. I have alot of free time and
I enjoy it.
Plan on keeping cruise and a.c. ... well maybe not ac since I have a vert.
kurt95gt
97+ 1mz. But you'll want to go with a 94-96 intake manifold to stick with the return style fuel system.

Yea my thread is a long read that really needs cleaned
Smaay
you can buy a 3MZ for the same price as a 1MZ and make a ton more power. the 3MZ has larger cams and of course its a 3.3 not a 3.0 did you see my dyno sheet? 241 TQ is awesome!

the 3MZ im using actually came out of an 05 Sienna Van. but you can use any 3MZ. Camry, Sienna, Solara, Lexus, whatever. look at this guide i wrote for how to mix the parts from a 1MZ and 3MZ

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54072

as for fuel, im using the 3MZ injectors and i modified the rails to make them a return system. you CAN get the older rails that are return but they are a little smaller in diameter.
NOVAKx17
thats some sexy work.... one of the weeks i'm going to start looking around in the local salvage yards to see about finding an MZ engine....

your right, 3mz definitely makes more power and TQ.

could you direct me to a 3mz Wiring Diagram perhaps?
Smaay
post your email and ill send you the 5S-FE and 3MZ engine control documents
NOVAKx17
mikey721@onewoods.net

Thanks brother... not much luck finding a 3mz yet..
Still on the lookout! A bunch of 1mzs and even a 2mz if the junkyard was right ha
Smaay
i dont think anything in the USDM came with a 2MZ, they are wrong.

you are going to need the intake manifold from the 1MZ, if you are going to get a 3MZ i suggest getting the VVT 1MZ IM. it has dual throttle bodies and is still cable. the 3MZ is DBW, you dont even want to mess with that.
NOVAKx17
Is there any intake manifold that is better than another when it comes to the 1mz?
Ans what was the problem where you began knocking from combining the 3mz/1mz?
And which 1mzs had vvti if you know off the top of your head?
Special_Edy
QUOTE (NOVAKx17 @ Jan 3, 2013 - 11:10 PM) *
Is there any intake manifold that is better than another when it comes to the 1mz?
Ans what was the problem where you began knocking from combining the 3mz/1mz?
And which 1mzs had vvti if you know off the top of your head?

The 3mz intake manifold is better.
The 3mz has vvti not the 1mz
the 1mz throttle body is similar to ours, the 3mz TB is drive by wire
I would guess that the 1mz is cheaper than a 3mz, since the 3mz is found in newer vehicles.
Box
The 1MZ-FE with VVT-i is used in the Avalon, Highlander, Sienna and Camry. Output is 210 hp (156 kW) at 5800 rpm with 222 lb·ft (328 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm. Early versions of the VVT-i 1MZ used a dual throttle body, cast aluminum intake manifold, and EGR block off plates on the exhaust manifolds. Later versions used an ABS plastic intake manifold to further weight reduction and decrease cost. These versions may also have drive-by-wire/electronic throttle control.
Applications:
1999–2003 Lexus RX 300 (US market)
1999–2003 Lexus ES 300
2000–2004 Toyota Avalon
2001–2003 Toyota Highlander/Kluger
2001–2003 Toyota Sienna
2002– Toyota Alphard (Japanese domestic market)
2003–2006 Toyota Camry (V6)
NOVAKx17
Haha... trying to find a 3mz here seems about as hard as finding a black man at a KKK meeting that wants to be there.... kindasad.gif
95CelicaST
Please please do your own research. There is more than enough info already posted here between Kurt, Smaay, Snapshot, and myself. What you can't already find here you will find on MR2OC in the V6 forum.
NOVAKx17
Its not a matter of doing the research I've read it all starting with the first v6 swap.
Im asking for personal experience opinions and getting the knowledge that I asked for. Smaay and kurt both seem more than willing to share their input. Im just wanting the firsthand talk so I don't misinterpret anything that has been posted in the past and to get everything in plain view.
Smaay
yes there are 1MZs with VVT. its got an awesome intake manifold that has dual throttle bodies.

the 3MZ has a plastic manifold and a DBW throttle body only.

another thing i might have forgot to mention, you need to get the 5 speed camry/solara exhaust manifolds. both of them dont have a pre CAT in them. plus the rear is angled a little differently so that the shifter cables dont rub it.

NOVAKx17
Awesome, thanks man.
Im putting together quite the shopping list of items to look for my next trip to the yard...
Also did you run into any issues with your axle setup without the spacer?
richee3
Proof of the VVT-i 1MZ, sitting in the engine bay of my RX 300.

And a picture of the sweet dual throttle body setup, as well as confirmation of drive by cable.

Despite my RX 300 being slower than watching grass grow, I can see how this would be a very fun engine in the Celica. I'd like to see more information surrounding the V6 swaps.
NOVAKx17
thanks richee.
and yeah i agree, itll be very fun i think!
i don't know if i'll be able to cover it as well as smaay or the others but i try to document everything pretty well, and i'm going to start
everything in the spring and cover every aspect of it as well as the wiring step by step with tons of pictures as always,
so stay tuned my brother (;
kurt95gt
Think once bills are paid off its time to go engine hunting again lol

Wonder what a v6 tercel would do lol
Smaay
no i have had no problems without a spacer in my axle. im using 93+ MR2 LSD inners and ST185 outters. im using the 05 sienna bearing carrier.
Box
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jan 8, 2013 - 10:05 PM) *

**** will fly faster than it ever has. laugh.gif
Smaay
I just emailed you the engine control documents. let me know if you need anything else
stephen_lee
also some info in my thread. i went older 3vz because i wanted the boost option later on
Special_Edy
Someone needs to go ahead and drop a 2gr into a 6gc already. They could even use a 1gr crankshaft to turn it into a 4 liter

The displacement of a 1uz, but it will bolt up to our stock drivetrain.
stephen_lee
1uz has some smooth power.. wink.gif
NOVAKx17
Well its decided. i'm 100% going with a v6 Swap.

i've been looking for the past weeks to buy a 3mz preferably with vvti
but haven't been having much luck so if i don't find one soon,
i'm just going to buy a 1mz vvti and go from there... going to get the engine (60-80k miles) , harness, ecu, and manifolds
for around 700-900 bucks from a dealer friend of the family who specializes in rebuildible vehicle auction buys.

so i can't wait to get started, but i'm very nervous about attempting the wiring myself to save money ... i know i can do it, but
at the same time i feel like there will be some frustrating errors...
richee3
1MZ's and 3MZ's are overrated. Everyone and their brother on 6gc has one now. Time to man up and go with the 2GR!
Ted95
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jan 8, 2013 - 11:05 PM) *

I've thought the same thing a few summers ago, or a paseo lol but then thought of another money pit when having to upgrade the suspension and breaks to stop the thing haha
Smaay
QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 2, 2013 - 8:11 PM) *
1MZ's and 3MZ's are overrated. Everyone and their brother on 6gc has one now. Time to man up and go with the 2GR!

there is only 3 or 4 that i can thing of. I dont think the 2GR will fit under the hood. a GT4 hood might allow it but i dont think the OEM one will. also the 2GR is a DBW only and AUTO only so you will be fighting codes.
NOVAKx17
Daniel Daniel Daniel..... Your going to yell at me for going with a 1m or 3m? when we both know you went ahead and got a beams? or 3.... lol
alot more people have done beams than v6s, but in the end i know your just tempting me to sink my teeth into a project that has already crossed my mind multiple times until i continuously think about how much harder the wiring will be along with other numerous problems i'm sure to encounter considering itd be the first of its kind (;

i'm not going to lie, if i lived within a fair distance from smaay, i would be alot more confident in attempting it especially knowing that jeff could aways come give me a hand with the beast if needed, but living all the way across the country with not too much help? i think i'll take the road that has been slightly more traveled (;

especially considering i'll only have a couple months to undergo on the project since i plan on doing it during the summer while i drive my camaro. then it will be back to daily driving duties!

only thing i haven't read up on too much at all yet is how well the 1m and 3m handles boost... anyone care to shed some light ?
Smaay
the 1MZ has a TRD supercharger. there are guys on solaraguy.com making over 350HP with it with stock internals. i plan on developing a SC kit for my car myself. my biggest argument for the MZ engine, you can get parts for it. finding parts for a BEAMS is another story
NOVAKx17
what are you thinking of along the lines of SC?

i know its going to be quite the ways away but as you know i was going to get your 5s kit, until the mz idea finally sunk into my head, so depending on what kit you make i'll be looking into it as well....

but can you elaborate on why the mz series don't like turbo?

oh , and after i buy my engine, i'm going to ask you to fab up a mount for me if you don't mind brother
Special_Edy
QUOTE (NOVAKx17 @ Feb 3, 2013 - 4:18 AM) *
what are you thinking of along the lines of SC?

i know its going to be quite the ways away but as you know i was going to get your 5s kit, until the mz idea finally sunk into my head, so depending on what kit you make i'll be looking into it as well....

but can you elaborate on why the mz series don't like turbo?

oh , and after i buy my engine, i'm going to ask you to fab up a mount for me if you don't mind brother

I suppose two safe guesses would be that-
The platforms the 1mz are found in are significantly heavier than most turbocharged toyotas, so it makes sense that they would benefit more from torque across the entire powerband than a high reving turbo.
The V6 with two cylinderbanks would require twin turbos or some elaborate exhaust system. There is little room on the rear bank with the steering and axle, or in the front with the radiator. I4s and I6s conveniently have a lot of free space for a turbo to sit beside them
bloodMoney
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jan 9, 2013 - 12:05 AM) *
Think once bills are paid off its time to go engine hunting again lol

Ask and you shall recieve...

smile.gif
Smaay
i never said the MZ dont like turbos, its a matter of where are you going to put it. there isnt much room in there
NOVAKx17
Hmmm. Good point... if it were yours where would you mount it?
First things first im going to swap it. If I do turbo it wont be til 2014
Smaay
thats just it, i have looked and there is no room for one. thats why im going SC
mkernz22
Smaay
thats in a Camry or Solara, there is alot more room under the hood there. But that does look really awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.