Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutchmasters unsprung disc fails at 4k miles
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
jcbass7
This is in my progress thread, but thought more people might want to see it/hear about it since some guys have started going with unsprung discs...

The clutch failed right at the center hub rivets. It was in the car for 6 months and only had 4,000 miles on it. Properly broken in and everything. No real hard launches, some hard pulls, but no real hard launches since FWD and crazy wheel hop.

The rep at clutchmaster's said he thinks it died since I was daily driving an unsprung clutch. I can understand the logic, the clutch was made more for weekend racing and not daily driving. Still very disappointed that it happened after only 4k miles. The whole reason I bought the unsprung was because the sprung discs fail at the springs often in this set up.. When I bought the car the clutch was broken and of course it was the springs. That clutch made it 30k so its a better option than the 4k this made it.

I called them to see if I could get it replaced since it failed so soon, they sent me an sprung stage 3 or 4 disc and resurfaced my pressure plate for 220. Not too happy to be dropping more money, but there warranty is only 90 days. lame.

Pics:

BonzaiCelica
you should went exedy!! japanese made. or the southbend clutch!

but honestly sorry to see this happen to you on such short notice... too much torque from that turbo.
Box
ALL THE TORQUE!
czwalga
Unsprung clutches are terrible unless its trailered to races. There's literally no reason to put an unsprung clutch in anything but a race car.

I wouldn't even put one in my rally car, I've had one in my rx7, took it out and sold it.

FYI, 30k is fantastic for a clutch that is beat on.
jcbass7
QUOTE (czwalga @ Jan 3, 2013 - 7:27 AM) *
Unsprung clutches are terrible unless its trailered to races. There's literally no reason to put an unsprung clutch in anything but a race car.

I wouldn't even put one in my rally car, I've had one in my rx7, took it out and sold it.

FYI, 30k is fantastic for a clutch that is beat on.

thanks for the input, I wanted to make sure people didn't follow in my footsteps with an unsprung disc since people were moving that way recently. Lots of springs ripping out of the sprung options so I though I'd give this a try, now I know better haha
talen
Wish I would have known this before. I just did my swap and I'm using this clutch!! mad.gif
Smaay
NEVER EVER use an unsprung disk. those are for race application only and are very harsh on your transmission too. i never use them anymore, even my race celica is still a spring disk and even my Supra clutch is sprung
presure2
bull****.
the mr2 guys are ALL using this exact clutch setup, lots of them daily drive theyre cars, lots of them have over 20-30k on them.
just like any clutch setup, **** is bound to happen once in a while.
ats racing sells this setup all day, and guys have great results with it, and have been for years now.
jcbass7
Just wanted to put my experience up there, people can choose what to do with it how they desire
delusionz
u got the FX500 kit?

I got the FX400, its a little too much for my setup, i definitely wouldnt go any harsher for a daily
Ironic
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jan 5, 2013 - 3:54 PM) *
bull****.
the mr2 guys are ALL using this exact clutch setup, lots of them daily drive theyre cars, lots of them have over 20-30k on them.
just like any clutch setup, **** is bound to happen once in a while.
ats racing sells this setup all day, and guys have great results with it, and have been for years now.

My mr2 was built by ats racing and it had a clutchmasters unsprung fx500 clutch. I daily drove it for 2 years with a good amount of punishment until the tob went out which is extremely common.. It sucked to drive in Houston traffic but it never gave me any issues..
malecrod
I went with unsprung disc (southbend) since my 3rd gen swap, so far I have piled up just over 13,400 miles on it and shifting is still just as good. From my experience by far this is almost the longest I had a clutch not fail in my swap. The most was about 18,000miles on ACT sprung disc. I had the sprung discs previously on my 2nd gen and had some failed as little as just over a 1000miles, it was always the springs popping out. So it can go either way.
It sucks doing a clutch job, just because of the sheer amount of work involved. But this has been my experience so far with the unsprung disc, since l posted about failures of the sprung discs in the past.
GL.
Smaay
i have a sprung Southbend clutch in my swap and its been absolutely perfect. even if the MR2 guys love their unsprung clutches they are time bombs IMO
Ted95
I too have the clutchmasters unsprung clutch and it seems to have let go as well. I have yet to actually drop the tranny and look inside but it has the same symptoms as Jesses, i will update once I find our what exactly went wrong.
jcbass7
QUOTE (delusionz @ Jan 5, 2013 - 7:10 PM) *
u got the FX500 kit?

I got the FX400, its a little too much for my setup, i definitely wouldnt go any harsher for a daily

yea I had the fx500

http://clutchmasters.com/index.php?module=...av_products.tpl

their current fx400 is a sprung disc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.