Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20V silvertop with stock 7AFE gearbox
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
onnaj
Hello,

I'm able to buy a 4AGE 20V Silvertop for a nice price. I'm wondering though if it's possible to keep my own 7afe gearbox with it? Or wouldn't the gearbox last for long?

Thanks!
SwissFerdi
C series transmission fits on an A block.
Box
It makes no more torque, if not less, than the 7A-FE. It'll be fine.
onnaj
Is the wiring difficult to do?
BonzaiCelica
i'm not sure if its difficult, but the silvertop is a 90-95 motor as to where the 7afe is a 1994-1997 motor.

you'd be better off getting the blacktop 4age if possible. they made those from 1996-2001 or something like that...
Special_Edy
QUOTE (onnaj @ Jan 15, 2013 - 3:22 AM) *
Is the wiring difficult to do?

If you have to ask then probably yes. You would need to splice your current harness into the donor harness, so that all the ecu and engine wiring was from the 4age donor but everything from your headlights to your windshield wipers would need to remain 6gc. I would say you would have to have moderate-expert experience on electrical wiring and engine management to know what you were doing, and the splices cant be just crimped you'd probably want everything soldered and heat shrinked(not to mention making every wire the correct length).

Perhaps someone else has actually done the swap and can give you a better idea or an educated guess at how much it would cost to have a shop perform the labor for you.
Smaay
the gains are not worth the cost IMO.
onnaj
QUOTE (Smaay @ Jan 16, 2013 - 11:11 AM) *

what do you advice then? Tuning the 7AFE?
Special_Edy
QUOTE (onnaj @ Jan 16, 2013 - 2:00 PM) *

Tuning it isnt worthwhile either, the heads just dont flow well on our USDM engines. You could turbo it.

But probably your best option would be a 1mz-fe or 3s-gte swap. All the same work is required with the addition of needing an E or S series transmission and the motor/transmission mounts(plus maybe some tidbits like the shifter cables and radiator). For about the same cost and work the 3SGTE would give you nearly double the torque and horsepower.
For maybe 1/2 the cost and the same amount of work the 1MZ-FE V6 would give you at least double the torque and over 200HP. Parts will also be extremely easy to find for this motor.
soulshadow
Your better off with a 3sgte, but since you have an ST Celica the cost to convert is more expensive. IMO, I would just leave it as it is and get something different as a project car.
onnaj
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Jan 16, 2013 - 2:09 PM) *
QUOTE (onnaj @ Jan 16, 2013 - 2:00 PM) *

Tuning it isnt worthwhile either, the heads just dont flow well on our USDM engines. You could turbo it.

But probably your best option would be a 1mz-fe or 3s-gte swap. All the same work is required with the addition of needing an E or S series transmission and the motor/transmission mounts(plus maybe some tidbits like the shifter cables and radiator). For about the same cost and work the 3SGTE would give you nearly double the torque and horsepower.
For maybe 1/2 the cost and the same amount of work the 1MZ-FE V6 would give you at least double the torque and over 200HP. Parts will also be extremely easy to find for this motor.

I must find out if the 1MZ-FE V6 is easy to find in Holland. I doubt that frown.gif

Maybe i should put some 4agze pistons in it, customizing my intake (doing that right now, making my own cold air box), and change the headers/exhaust.
Smaay
again, thats going to be more expensive. 1MZ's came in almost everything. Camry, Sienna, Lexus ES300, RX300, but overseas they might have different names. Im running a 3MZ in my celica with 1MZ electronics. i dont have VVT support and I still made 241 TQ and 221 HP to the wheels
doctavic
i was thinking about a blacktop 4age with with the accompanying 5-speed (or 6). for someone not so mechanically inclined, it seems like a good swap for an ST. I know all the comments about this switch and the torque deficit, but you do get a horsepower upgrade for not a lot of money and based on the comments from this with the switch, the power delivery actually seems spot on. its by no means a 3SGTE... but its not meant to be. it really does seem like a lot more modification and work for that engine compared to the 4a... which would be a directly bolt and seems to be available fairly cheaply. im open to other ideas though.
Special_Edy
The point that we are trying to make about the 4a is that there will only be a negligible amount of additional work to put in a 3sgte or a 1mz-fe. You could have nearly double the useful torque and horsepower for the same cost(3sgte) or half the price(1mz)

If you do a 1mz or 3sgte swap, you can get many of the parts from the donor vehicle. A gt4 front clip would have all the parts to make it almost bolt in, and if you get a 5speed 1mz donor the story is the same.

We are just trying to help you make an informed decision. A great example to the 4age is the 3sge Beams. If your going to go to the immense expense and trouble of installing a 3sge, you may as well just get a 3sgte and have more bang for your buck. If you have a 4age laying around then by all means swap it in, but if you are going to have to spend money its recommended that spend it more wisely on a 3sgte or 1mz
doctavic
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Jan 17, 2013 - 12:36 PM) *
The point that we are trying to make about the 4a is that there will only be a negligible amount of additional work to put in a 3sgte or a 1mz-fe. You could have nearly double the useful torque and horsepower for the same cost(3sgte) or half the price(1mz)

If you do a 1mz or 3sgte swap, you can get many of the parts from the donor vehicle. A gt4 front clip would have all the parts to make it almost bolt in, and if you get a 5speed 1mz donor the story is the same.

We are just trying to help you make an informed decision. A great example to the 4age is the 3sge Beams. If your going to go to the immense expense and trouble of installing a 3sge, you may as well just get a 3sgte and have more bang for your buck. If you have a 4age laying around then by all means swap it in, but if you are going to have to spend money its recommended that spend it more wisely on a 3sgte or 1mz

Valid points. I live in a city with no place to put a donor car, so I guess I'll have to just source an engine and a shop to do the work sadly. I'm just trying to figure out what will be cheapest for me given my situation. I think I've gone as far as I can go before a swap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.