Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/T Shifter Slide Cover Replaced
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
FrankB2
I've seen a couple of threads here asking how to disassemble the A/T shifter, and disconnect the O/D wire. I ordered the new slide cover from the local Toyota dealer, and had already decided not to rewire, and make a 30 hour project out of it. I just made a cut with a straight edge razor, and it's plenty flexible to fit around the shift lever:

This car was mint when I bought it except for this:

I found all the change that had fallen down there since I bought it last October, and some other things that looked like throat lozenges, etc. kindasad.gif biggrin.gif I had to pay $58 for that sliver of plastic, but it looked like A$$ before.

EDIT: It has a new slide cover, but it's still an automatic. Not the coolest car, but my wife can drive it...LOL!
gen6coupe
Mine is completely missing. $50 from toyota?? no thanks, i can probably source the whole shifter for that!

i may just make something thatll work, some card stock or something.

thanks for showing the pics and your technique
1994Celica
QUOTE (FrankB2 @ Mar 13, 2013 - 5:38 PM) *
I've seen a couple of threads here asking how to disassemble the A/T shifter, and disconnect the O/D wire. I ordered the new slide cover from the local Toyota dealer, and had already decided not to rewire, and make a 30 hour project out of it. I just made a cut with a straight edge razor, and it's plenty flexible to fit around the shift lever:

This car was mint when I bought it except for this:

I found all the change that had fallen down there since I bought it last October, and some other things that looked like throat lozenges, etc. kindasad.gif biggrin.gif I had to pay $58 for that sliver of plastic, but it looked like A$$ before.

EDIT: It has a new slide cover, but it's still an automatic. Not the coolest car, but my wife can drive it...LOL!
Ha that's what I did too.
SwissFerdi
Mine was broken too. I tossed in a 5-speed to fix it.
mocwon
This is exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for when I posted the question the other day about ideas for replacing the slide cover on my 6th generation Celica. All the dim wits that responded could say was install a 5-speed which about a useless response as anyone could give. Were you able to just snake the slide cover in with the shifter plate still installed or did you have to take the sifter plate off? Thanks for this write up!!!!!
1994Celica
QUOTE (mocwon @ Mar 10, 2014 - 3:02 PM) *
This is exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for when I posted the question the other day about ideas for replacing the slide cover on my 6th generation Celica. All the dim wits that responded could say was install a 5-speed which about a useless response as anyone could give. Were you able to just snake the slide cover in with the shifter plate still installed or did you have to take the sifter plate off? Thanks for this write up!!!!!
But putting a 5 speed in is the best option! biggrin.gif In all seriousness though, it's really easy to get on. Just make a small get in it and in slides in pretty easily
Fuzzy
PM'd
Fuzzy
FrankB2
Oh Man.... Let me try to remember what I did a year ago, and if I forget something, another member can fill in the blanks. I believe it was as simple as pulling up the plastic cover surrounding the shifter, and then sliding the the cover in place should do it. I'll run out to my car at noon EST, and make sure that's all there is to it.
FrankB2
You have to pull the console section surrounding the shifter off. No tools required, but the switches on the cover have to be disconnected.

Once that's off, there are two screws on the shifter indicator assembly. They're brass colored, and one in the front, and one in the back. The rear screw is a tight squeeze, and I dropped mine a few times while removing and installing. A pair of hemostats is a big help here.

Front screw is the screw on the right of your screen. I forgot to point at it:

Once you unscrew and lift off that assembly, simply slide the new shift cover in place. I hope this helps.
Noahwhite2014
I used some sheet metal (not really its just a "beware of dog" sign from walmart) And cut it to the proper size so it can slide in the bottom.

Measured the distance from the stalk to 1 inch past the bottom edge of the hole. Doubled it, and cut the piece of metal from that. Found the center, and cut out the metal so it could slide on from the left side since the right side is almost impossible to see the missing metal.

Then i painted it, grabbed a 3 ring binder divider with the colored plastic tabs, cut a piece out and super glued it to the edge right in the middle, let it dry, and put it in the next day,

Ill post pictures if anyone is interested.

Total cost was 97cents for the sign but i had the spray paint and colored plastic tabs from the binder divider already.
Kyleb2386
biggrin.gif Can i ask what the part number is for the a/t cover your replaced and for the rubber piece that goes between the gear selector handle?
DPQ
this link might help
http://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/celica/at18...sis/3312/35975/

so far, I have not found anyone who can supply a new slide cover .... ridiculous
I made one out of thin cardboard but ....

pn 35975-33010 looks the same ?
tis spec'ed for the 91-94 Camry.
Not cheap ... I ordered one and will let ya know
I don't see a way to attach a photo but
here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-Toyota-Lexus...dcb&vxp=mtr
is the one I just ordered
hookembevo
Wish these pictures still worked. Anybody tackle this one lately?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.