Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 95 Celica 7AFE won't start
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
kevinf
Hello,

I have a '95 Celica ST auto with the 1.8 liter, 177k miles. Car is completely stock, well maintained, and has run with no issues until now. It drove normally until a couple weeks ago while driving it all of a sudden, at low speed, sputtered a little then died and would not restart. It turns over normally (not fast), just won't start. The gas light had just come on, so I tried putting another gallon of fuel in to no avail. I towed it home and have been troubleshooting since but I'm stumped.

What I've done:

Checked for spark: spark is there, but not "bright blue" like the Chilton says it should be. Was more orange/blue.
- replaced plugs (gapped to 0.31)
- tested wire resistance - less than 10k ohms so OK.

Distributor cap posts had a thin white crust on them, and rotor looked 'burned', with a thin black layer of crust and well worn
- replaced cap and rotor
- signal generator resistance G+ to G- = 214ohms, NE+ to NE- = 424ohms (both in spec)
- ignition coil Primary Resistance (+ to -) = 1.7 ohms, Secondary Resistance (+ to terminal) = 11.4ohms (both in spec)

I looked to check the Crank Position Sensor resistance but this engine/year does not appear to have one.

- Fuel pump primes when jumping the +B and FP terminals, as well as when attempting to turn over.
- fuel inlet pipe feels like it's getting pressurized when jumping fuel pump

- Timing belt was changed 30k miles / 3 1/2 years ago.

At this point, the only thing left I can think of is:
1) test fuel pressure -- I'd have to borrow a gauge
2) compression test -- also need a gauge, although I highly doubt something internal broke as the car has run perfectly up until now

Is there something I'm missing? Should I just try replacing the ignition coil and/or distributor?

Thanks

Box
Usually the distributor being bad will throw a code 12. Perhaps the ignition coil. Something similar happened to my dad's 4-Runner. Was running fine the died suddenly and wouldn't start. Had weak orange spark like you mentioned, ended up being the ignition coil.
rave2n
QUOTE (Box @ Mar 24, 2013 - 11:53 PM) *
Usually the distributor being bad will throw a code 12. Perhaps the ignition coil. Something similar happened to my dad's 4-Runner. Was running fine the died suddenly and wouldn't start. Had weak orange spark like you mentioned, ended up being the ignition coil.

His vehicle will not throw a code being ODB1

Atleast my ST did not when my distributor when bad.

If you are in need, I believe I have a ST distributor from my old one that was put in to replace the one that went bad. When mine went bad, car would stall. Turn over occasionally, but if you hit the gas, it would die quickly. Indicating timing issue, which was oil leaking into my distributor.

I'd confirm fuel pressure first like you have indicated. Not positive its distributor.
kevinf
Forgot to mention:

- Engine light is not on, no codes stored.
- I swapped EFI relay with one of the fan ones thinking it might be that but no luck
- tried multiple times spraying starter fluid into the intake after the air filter with no change. Throttle normal and 100%. This is what led me back to ignition

rave2n
QUOTE (kevinf @ Mar 25, 2013 - 2:33 PM) *
Forgot to mention:

- Engine light is not on, no codes stored.
- I swapped EFI relay with one of the fan ones thinking it might be that but no luck
- tried multiple times spraying starter fluid into the intake after the air filter with no change. Throttle normal and 100%. This is what led me back to ignition

Yea you wouldn't have a light for this =/ 96+ I believe would.

Interesting, so not start on spray definitely points to ignition.

I say try a new distributor.

Here is the new one I have, with a new cap, and wires. Only ran it a few months before my ST was totaled out.

Not trying to derail, or sell ya. Just figured if you want the parts, I got, and since I've been holding onto them so long. I'll let them go cheap. PM if interested.
Box
If the inside of the distributor didn't look like spaghetti, I'd say try the ignition coil.
kevinf
Ignition Coil for the win! Swapped it out with a new one and it started right up. Thanks everyone for your help.
Box
Yes! GO ME! tongue.gif Glad you were able to get it fixed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.