Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: apexi safc II tuning HELP!!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
brommy02
Ok my car is way too rich so my turbo only spools until 4500 rpm then blows black smoke out my wastegate. i have an apexi safc II but don't know how to tune it and nobody around me can either. if anybody could help me that would be great thank you.
brommy02
thank you but i need a better link because I've tried YouTube and none of the videos give me a good enough idea on how to tune it to my car.
Tigawoods
do you have a wideband A/F gauge? That would help loads
brommy02
yes i do
Smaay
so when it gets rich, remove fuel, when it gets lean, add fuel
brommy02
i don't know how to do that tho. Where do i go on the menu?
lagos
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 5, 2013 - 10:44 PM) *
i don't know how to do that tho. Where do i go on the menu?

Its all on that page that I linked you to. Like the 5th video down has a really good tutorial on it. Just take the time to look through that stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9YQrzpT0rk
brommy02
I'm sorry I'm an idiot but i still didn't see anything about how to take away or add.fuel
lagos
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 6, 2013 - 1:16 AM) *
I'm sorry I'm an idiot but i still didn't see anything about how to take away or add.fuel

Its under settings/high throttle. Then you choose the rpm you want and tell it to add or remove in that range.
brommy02
gotcha i found a pretty good form that told me to start at -10 all down the board and tune from there. I'll give it a try thank you.
brommy02
I've been doing some tuning and my cars a completely different car now. the kid before me had everything cranked up to +10% almost all the way down the board
presure2
you really need to get a wideband, and even better, get the car on a dyno to tune the safc properly.
with that particular setup, which was basicly a copy of shannons (supershannon77) setup, your gonna wanna setup the RPM points to look like this:
800 1200 2400 3000 3400 3800 4000 4200 4800 5200 5800 6200

i cant remember if it gives you 8 or 12 RPM points, if it only gives you 8 points, go 1k, 2k, 28, 36, 42, 48, 56, 62.
then in the lo throttle your gonna wanna be at like -16 or -20 at all the throttle points below 3600rpm. above that, set it to -15.
in the high throttle your gonna wanna have it about the same, but would go to around -12 or so right after 4k rpm, and tune it from there to get it to around 11.5:1 under boost.
your also gonna wanna set the crossover point which i believe is called "NE point" or somthing like that in the menu to like 25 or 30 lo and like 40 high.
what that does is control the point at which the SAFC will use the lo or high throttle map, according to throttle input.
so, with the settings i mentioned above, anytime the throttle is below 25-30% open, the SAFC will use the lo throttle map, and anytime the throttle is open more than 40%, it will use the hi throttle map. (it interpolates in between the 2 settings.)

that will definetly get you in the ballpark for that setup, provided it is setup the same way it was originally.
can you get some pics of the engine bay and post them?
brommy02
Ok thanks I'll give it a try andYa check my profile I'll put one on
brommy02
Damn you just fixed my car lol thanks a lot!
presure2
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 6, 2013 - 12:47 PM) *
Damn you just fixed my car lol thanks a lot!

lol, i've done a few of these 5sfte's..lol
you still really need to either get on a dyno that has a wideband o2 sensor and tune it, i notice in your profile pic there is a wideband o2 sensor in the downpipe, is it connected to a gauge and functioning?
brommy02
Ya i have one I've been using it to tune the way you told me
presure2
ok so, when your just driving around, not in boost, youll want to tune the lo map till your a/f gauge bounces around 14.7-15:1, and tune the high map for when your in boost so that the a/f is right about 11.5:1 . if your anything richer than 11:1 under boost, your wasting gas, and leaving alot of power on the table.
how much boost are you running, and do you have a water injection kit?
if you want the setup to last, i would strongly suggest not running more than 14-15psi, and get a water injection kit on there with a 3 or 5gph nozzle asap.
with the WI, and a decent tune, the car should pull hard, and will last a good long time, provided you take care of it.
Malek
I'm leaving a lot of power on the table then laugh.gif

Time to get into the tuning game!
brommy02
Alright thank you I'll do some more tuning. it's a lot easier than i expected. great job at explaining it.
brommy02
so i raced a mustang today. and got my ass beat:( my car is just not what i know it can be. idon't know what to do. I've tried my best to tune it and its just not working out. when i go off the line my wastegate just opens up and my car bearly moves. but when I'm in third cruising then matt it then it will pull but not what it should be. i still can't get above 5grand rpm. any suggestions?
presure2
#1, dont post about street racing on this site, it'll get ya banned.
#2. tuning. you need it. ON A DYNO WHERE ITS SAFE TO DO SO.

how much boost you running?
Syaoran
If your wastegate is opening you are reaching max boost. Having your wastegate open isn't a bad thing, as you're making it sound
Malek
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 7, 2013 - 4:40 AM) *
so i raced a mustang today at my local drag strip because they are having test and tune. and got my ass beat:( my car is just not what i know it can be. idon't know what to do. I've tried my best to tune it and its just not working out. when i go off the line my wastegate just opens up and my car bearly moves. but when I'm in third cruising then matt it then it will pull but not what it should be. i still can't get above 5grand rpm. any suggestions?

Fixed it for ya! wink.gif haha

idk about your local forums but I know on mine, there's a few guys who are huge into tuning and may help you out..just a thought..
brommy02
Ya but when my wastegate opens my car stops excelerating and fall's on its face. it doesn't open and continue to pull like it should. and i have no idea why its doing that
Syaoran
But that's not the wastegate's fault, I just want you to realize that. The purpose of the wastegate is to bypass all excess exhaust gases out of your turbo so that they don't spin it any faster making more boost. If you didn't have a wastegate your turbo would never stop producing boost until it died or blew your engine.

As mentioned before, if you're limiting at 5000 RPM it's most probably because you're hitting fuel cut on the stock ECU. You need to clamp the MAP voltage (if you're using the stock MAP sensor) and/or get a 2-bar MAP sensor from an MR2 turbo. You need somebody to set your stuff up for you properly. While a SAFC may work to an extent, it's not ideal for controlling a non-factory turbocharged car.
brommy02
how do i clamp the map sensor
Smaay
first off what are you using for a MAP sensor? if you are on the stock sensor, thats going to be a big problem there
Syaoran
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 7, 2013 - 1:46 PM) *
how do i clamp the map sensor

You first have to find out if you have a stock MAP sensor or a 3SGTE MAP sensor.

If it's still the stock MAP, you need to get a 3SGTE MAP sensor to run 14PSI of boost or less.
brommy02
is there a way i can tell by looking at it.
Syaoran
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 7, 2013 - 6:55 PM) *

This is a 3sgte MAP sensor:

This is a 5sfe stock MAP sensor:

I believe the main visual difference is the sticker on it (it has a part number on the sticker which you could use to tell which one it is)
brommy02
Where is this located. because there is nothing that looks like this by the throttle body
Ted95
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 9, 2013 - 2:09 AM) *
Where is this located. because there is nothing that looks like this by the throttle body

it should be mounted to the firewall somewhere behind the intake manifold IIRC.
brommy02
i only found one sensor attached to the firewall and it doesn't look anything like the ones in the picture
Smaay
here it is, its right next to the windshield wiper motor, ignore the black box below it.

brommy02
ya that's the one i saw but it doesn't look like the one in the pic above. how do i tell if it's.the one for the 3sgte or the 5sfe
mkernz22
get us a picture of it
Ted95
QUOTE (Syaoran @ Apr 7, 2013 - 8:48 PM) *
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 7, 2013 - 6:55 PM) *

This is a 3sgte MAP sensor:

This is a 5sfe stock MAP sensor:

I believe the main visual difference is the sticker on it (it has a part number on the sticker which you could use to tell which one it is)

QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 9, 2013 - 9:54 AM) *
how do i tell if it's.the one for the 3sgte or the 5sfe

^^ it doesn't have one of these stickers on it?
match220
QUOTE (presure2 @ Apr 6, 2013 - 1:59 PM) *
ok so, when your just driving around, not in boost, youll want to tune the lo map till your a/f gauge bounces around 14.7-15:1, and tune the high map for when your in boost so that the a/f is right about 11.5:1 . if your anything richer than 11:1 under boost, your wasting gas, and leaving alot of power on the table.
how much boost are you running, and do you have a water injection kit?
if you want the setup to last, i would strongly suggest not running more than 14-15psi, and get a water injection kit on there with a 3 or 5gph nozzle asap.
with the WI, and a decent tune, the car should pull hard, and will last a good long time, provided you take care of it.

I echo this..I was going to say the same thing..be careful though, running too lean with a turbo will end up overheating your turbo..here is a nice little chart for you, ignore the right two columns. I would try to find out why it started running rich first though.

brommy02
Ya but none of the numbers are the same is blue tho
match220
QUOTE (brommy02 @ Apr 9, 2013 - 8:01 PM) *
Ya but none of the numbers are the same is blue tho

89420-20300 is the part number on my old one from my 5sfe. You can type the part number in on ebay and most of the time the part pops up with someone's description on what it is from. I do it all the time with parts that I have lying around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.