Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CPR Celica Project
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
fatherof4
First a little about me. Single father of 4 kids. The oldest is 22, youngest is 13. So I dont think there is any way I'm going to be able to keep them away from this car.

We got the Celi a little over a year ago from my sister. It was her daily driver. As I understand she took it to one of the quick oil change places and had the oil changed.
three days later it started making noise. "Ckicking" low in the motor. Then just froze up.
She knew I liked the car so she gave it to me. It has been sitting for a year in the barn. First idea was a engine swap but I ditched the idea because I need the car to be simple enough to be fixed if the kids breaks down. And my 17 year old son is not taking on his buddy in his Sti.

I have done a LOT of reading...and I mean hours. I love this site! This wont be a 200hp car but I'd like to make it a car the looks good and is reliable enough for the kids to get to have fun with. (when they can pry it away from Daddy)

Ok, After a lot of searching I found a replacement 7afe with about 122,000. Pulled the valve cover and it looks clean. Still has the wire harness attached.

Spent the next few days ordering parts. (95 ST.) I want to know if anyone can think of something I'm missing. I'd like to do all this while the motor is out.

Exedy KTY18 Clutch kit.... Toyota OEM Rear main seal.
Penzoil Synchrom.... Toyota OEM Axle seals.
Oil Filter.... Timing belt
Fuel/Gas filter..... Timing belt tensioner
Air filter..... Timing belt tensioner spring
Distributor cap.... Valve cover gasket
Distributor Rotor.... Four spark plug tube seals
NGK Wire Set..... Three accessory drive belts
NGK Platinum Spark Plugs.... Front crankshaft seal
PCV Valve..... Camshaft seal
Distributor O-Ring..... Oil Drain Plug & Washer/Seal
Ebay Header (Not Headers lol)..... Heat wrap for header
Thermostat and gasket...... New Vacuum hoses
New Radiator hoses....... CAI Kit 90/93 Accord
Turned Flywheel...... Break pads/ Turned roters

Pulled motor, Checked motor mounts. And now we wait....

fatherof4
Got some stuff in this week. Waiting on the head

JoshuaM

Another Celi saved smile.gif

I wish my dad rebuilt a Celica for me to 'have fun with' when I got my licence tongue.gif
fatherof4
Cleaned most of the block today. whats the best way to remove the carbon on top of the pistons without getting pieces between the walls and the rings? got most of the bolt-on parts painted. All this rain is not helping. mad.gif
fatherof4
All the Parts came in from Toyota today for the head. Hopefully it will be done by the weekend so we can start putting it all back together. Still looking at Exhaust systems. Looking for something deep sounding.
jesse09
Looks like a fun project! Will be well worth the effort.
rentaspace
Great to see another Celica saved from the scrap heap!
Good luck with the build biggrin.gif
fatherof4
Head work is finally done. thumbsup.gif

cheela
way to save a celi! We'll see how time your kids actually get with it. hahaha.
fatherof4
Got a little more done today. Had to take a break today. (Army Recruiter came to visit my son.) Painted the block and installed the head and Cams.

fatherof4
Hope these sound good.

RabidTRD
That's a good setup on the exhaust. I was opting for that before I got my Vibrant setup.

Your son is lucky. I wish my dad new as much as I do (I wish he knew more) when it comes to cars. I'd love to make it a father-son project and do what you're doing. Personally, since you've already got it ripped down, I'd replace the rings, bearings and connecting hardware... but since it's a new engine, maybe that's not really needed.

What are you planning on for suspension? Or are you going to just get it running and let your son do that part? haha.
fatherof4
Da boy has to work weekends so he helps when he can. He will be going into the army next year.

Plans are to drop it just a little, Don't really care for the cambered look. Looking for rims and a 7th gen steering wheel. We will probably paint the stock rims a dark gray for now. Front and rear bars. Projectors. I like the GT4 look so a facelift may happen but we will have to see. The inside is in good shape overall.
Syaoran
Looks good so far. You mind sharing part number of that muffler?
fatherof4
The part Number on the Megaflow is 14832. Ordered the CAI and Bypass last night. all that's really left is to install everything. She will run again this weekend. then we can start on the suspension. Plan is a gt4 front and a 1z swap next winter. But the next project is to finish my Shovelhead.
Syaoran
Thanks.

A 1z swap as in 1zz?
richee3
QUOTE (Syaoran @ May 23, 2013 - 8:22 AM) *
A 1z swap as in 1zz?

1JZ. wink.gif
Syaoran
QUOTE (richee3 @ May 23, 2013 - 3:06 PM) *
A 1z swap as in 1zz?

1JZ. wink.gif

fatherof4
Had to work alone today but I got it installed. Tomorrow we have to hook everything up. Installing the engine is a lot easier with two people.
Syaoran
Lookin good!
fatherof4
Got some more done today. Tomorrow axles, Brakes and finish header.

fatherof4
It RUNS!!! smile.gif Started on first try! special thanks to Smaay for answering all my stupid questions. Later this week it will go to the muffler shop.
fatherof4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V27Swxepd0
Bitter
Don't forget the resonator after the cat, otherwise the exhaust will sound pretty harsh with just a muffler. You can run a Magnaflow 4inch or 6inch round muffler in place of the factory resonator if you desire.
Syaoran
Right at the end that look at the camera felt like Walter White was looking at me, haha
fatherof4
QUOTE (Bitter @ May 27, 2013 - 7:34 PM) *
Don't forget the resonator after the cat, otherwise the exhaust will sound pretty harsh with just a muffler. You can run a Magnaflow 4inch or 6inch round muffler in place of the factory resonator if you desire.

I have a Magnaflow Cat/resonator combo then the magnaflow muffler will go on at the end.
fatherof4
Exhaust installed today. It was running a little rough. I advanced the timing and it ran a lot better. Do i need to run 93 octane to get the best out of it?
Box
QUOTE (fatherof4 @ May 28, 2013 - 6:30 PM) *
Exhaust installed today. It was running a little rough. I advanced the timing and it ran a lot better. Do i need to run 93 octane to get the best out of it?

Depends on how far you advanced it you might need premium. I run mine on regular fuel with the stock timing.
Syaoran
Check the timing with a timing light.

To read proper timing I think the engine had to be @ 750RPM and it has to read 10 on the crank pulley mark with the light set to 0, for the stock timing.
fatherof4
Thanks, I'll check it this weekend.
ricochet1490
You haven't been given nearly enough props for this. You've made it look cool for your son too. Nice work.
Box
"What son?" he says. tongue.gif
RabidTRD
Sick! It's always great to see a Celica live again smile.gif
fatherof4
Just a quick update. CAI is installed. Just received my projectors (waiting for glass to come to fix one before install. Ordered skirts, 3 gauge dash pod and gauges. made deal for some rims and tires. and it looks like I'll have a deal on the st205 hood and front end complete. My wallet hates this site! lol
Box
Don't blame the site, I've shown exemplary restraint. tongue.gif
kurt95gt
QUOTE (richee3 @ May 23, 2013 - 2:06 PM) *
A 1z swap as in 1zz?

1JZ. wink.gif

1mz smile.gif
fatherof4
Stuff to add this winter. wink.gif

fatherof4
Well, It's been almost a year. The car has come a long way. We still have a lot of work left to do. But for now, Here is a few new pics.

JoshuaM
NICE! smile.gif
richee3
Manliest. Wheels. Ever.
njccmd2002
I see whar u did there.
mkernz22
QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 16, 2014 - 10:18 PM) *
Manliest. Wheels. Ever.

Wonder where those wheels came from.....hmmmm..
Ted95
The wheels live!! Car's looking good man keep up the good work fellas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.