Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slo_Celly
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2
slo_celly
I guess i'll throw in a little bit about myself... im a now 26 year old male, studied all things automotive since i was 14, I'm also a bit of an artist, prodcing "music", and doing graphic design (the old school kind, lol) in my free time as well. I've been up and down the east coast, meeting many people and doing many stupid things, yet, ultimately learning many lessons along the way, and in 2011 i moved back to nnsylvania in the area of washington.

One unfortunate day I got in a fender bender with my car I had at the time while out on a delivery, and it ended with me having a fine and a rather damaged vehicle

so, i scrapped my 04 ford focus packed some bags, and headed for pittsburgh to stay with a friend.
after getting familiar with the area, i got a part time job and began gettin situated. Now, to find a new buggy....

Well, i never expected to pick up a celi in my life.. until i started driving my gfs old celi... well, after driving it more regularly and getting a little more info i saw what potential the platform had.. and wouldn't ya know it? i stumbled across this lil guy in hopes of turning it into a functional daily...

the picture on craigslist that lured me in. (cue coir music)

hmm...

well... lets take a look.................

so, after a test drive and a once over in poor light (it was getting late) i bought it. at the price i paid i figured "worth it"

well, lets see whats all wrong with it...

clutch slave cylinder = shot (Fixed 4/24/13)
clutch master cylinder = shot (Fixed 4/28/13)
rear brake assembly = fixed.
exhaust = frown.gif (Fixed 4/29/13) smile.gif
interior = fixed.
front transmission mount =fixed
audio = works.

smile.gif
Box
Not bad at all for what you paid. To get a running car for $1,000 is a steal, and for it not to be some piece of crap Kia makes it even better.

Look forward to you giving it the love it deserves.
slo_celly
Edit.
Syaoran
Yeah these cars are a good learning experience, theyre very easy to wrench on
Tigawoods
welcome! where are you in pittsburgh?
I finished school up there a couple years ago

looks like you have some work ahead of you with that one.
are you planning to modify it or just get it back to working OEM condition?
slo_celly
ahh, tigawoods. im over near monroeville actually. about 15 miles east of downtown. i was actually creeping on your thread yesterday lol. very nice build thread. i love the evolution of your car.

Im going for a kind of oem+ build. i have alot of inspiration from jdm honda builds of yore. and i want to bring some of those styling cues to the celi.

im putting the rear brakes back together today with new EVERYTHING. so, by this evening, i should have new rear brakes, and an E BRAKE (yaay!)

i post pictures.

wish me luck! lol
slo_celly
uggh.... absolute nightmare. everything left was seized. it took me the better part of my afternoon to only get the old primary shoe off.

this is what was left of the old parking brake.

the single remaining shoe.

i couldn't find a diagram... so once i did i figured to share it in case any one else ever needs it. **parking brake diagram**

thanks to the diagram i saw why something appeared a bit off
i still need one more piece...
the often over looked "brake shoe strut"... *sigh* dealership only i'm told...
Box
Looks like you have a broken stud. redface.gif
slo_celly
ahh you noticed... tongue.gif

ok, here's my snag. seeing as how nothing was remaining in there im missing one part on each side... the shoe strut... and at 40 dollars EACH from toyota, i must at least ask... has anyone ever hooked up a parking w/o the shoe strut? or will the assembly collapse inside the rotor when i try to pull the ebrake? i've never ran into such an issue... options? or am i stuck spending 80 dollars on two tiny slivers of steel? frown.gif
scratch that idea actually... i just found toyotapartsoverstock.com.... 35 dollars for the parts rather than 80 at the dealership... although... im still stuck waiting...
rave2n
lol nvm
PolliS_5S-FE
Looking like your doing her right so far man, pics of exhaust?
slo_celly
yea, i strongly considered not putting in the shoe struts... but then common sense slapped me. lol

sooo, while i sat on my day off, since im waiting to finish the rear brakes, i stripped out the entire a/c sysem while opening up access to the front motor mount... a/c's for chumps anyway biggrin.gif

cool picture aside,
i do need a front motor mount... that's for certain. if there's someone local that has one, pm me. otherwise, im hittin up ebay again.

oh, im also looking for a pair of fenders and a pair of headlight gaskets... just throwin that out there.

i'll post pics of my "dr.Exhaust" skills here coming up... the exhaust WAS hanging from under the control arm... obviously unacceptable.. but i'll show the "artistic" welding job the cars previous owner did on the rest of the exhaust for sure. lol
slo_celly
Anyone need an ac compressor? tongue.gif
Box
QUOTE (slo_celly @ May 9, 2013 - 12:08 PM) *
Anyone need an ac compressor? tongue.gif

You do. tongue.gif
soulshadow
QUOTE (Box @ Apr 29, 2013 - 7:33 PM) *
Not bad at all for what you paid. To get a running car for $1,000 is a steal, and for it not to be some piece of crap Kia makes it even better.

Look forward to you giving it the love it deserves.

I've seen worse with Daewoo cars.
czwalga
Sorry about your continued problems.... if you ever decide to 'junk' it let me know I may buy it. I live in wexford, probably 30 min from you.
slo_celly
Major work got done the past couple days.

wtf broken/missing motor mount bolts?!

BAM!

Then, i had to persuade the old mount apart...

BOOM!

day after that, (yesterday) i left on a little trip sparked by a craigslist ad.

to get THESE for 100 bucks thumbsup.gif

the guy i got these from has more parts.

THIS IS WHAT HE HAS LEFT**

....yay progress!

i took this time to run a power cable for a stereo in the future.

and that is why we use fender liners kids...

ermagerd.

thats it for now... next is ds parking brake cable, making my rotor seat proper,
some battle damage (dent) removal, just a little rot repair, rims on, paint, and of course,
silence-able muffler.

this cars been excersising everything i've learned in automotives thus far in life. auto body,
paint, electrical, mechanics... its going to be extremely rewarding to drive her once she's
the way i want. i dont have much more to do really...

czwalga
What was wrong with the old fenders?
slo_celly
lol well, just look at em. (pics are in first post.)
czwalga
Ahh yeah, somehow i missed that.
cheela
damn, I want those seats the guy had for sale! hahaha.
but nice pick up on the fenders. looks good.
slo_celly
thanks cheela

those s.e. seats were sweet too. if i had the extra coin i would've loved to get em for 125, thats a steal. lol,,, he still has all that other stuff avail too for anybody whos interested... even as a package deal. good ppl out there in sugar creek.

slo_celly

ok, i figured what i have into the car so far.

the car - 650.00
title - 65.00
muffler - 28.99
flex pipe - 7.95
flex pipe - 7.95
front motor mount - 21.12
clutch master - 26.90
clutch slave - 18.15
rear rotors/pads - 60.99
fenders - 140.00 (including gas)
rims - 140.00
tuner lugs - 9.88
vinyl film - 2.98
---
total = 1179.91

i didn't include the misc nuts and bolts, nor the ebrake assembly since I didn't get it installed back in yet.
i gotta still hang the muffler and get tires, but yeah... thats what the celly cost me so far...
Syaoran
Now you need a set of springs and 1" spacers, and a plasti dip paintjob
slo_celly
lol shhh....
slo_celly
Had a little photo shoot today. I'm waiting for my lug key and then I can slap on the rims to see what size I want to go with...
Took these pictures after I hung my "custom" rear section..biggrin.gif

This is what I'm going with for the interior...

Just tin to replace the tie rod ends and front brakes, and I think she'll be road worthy. Even though, I'd still like to flush the brakes while I'm at it...

Getting closer to completion, day by day. Lol
Box
Covering up leather seats with cloth? redface.gif That's a sin don't ya know?
slo_celly
QUOTE (Box @ May 30, 2013 - 4:23 PM) *

Lol its denim!

And those seats were beat on. frown.gif so, I used some satin pins and embroidery pins to wrap the seat and do the inserts and whatnot. Seems to hold up fairly well. I'm excited to share the results once I add some extra padding and wrap the other seats. smile.gif I love that paisley/lace pattern on the inserts though. With the denim and the black in the interior, it should be fairly plush.
The_enD
Is it just the picture or your headlight is actually that fogged up?
I would suggest blacking out the tails as it will look great on a black Celi, if that is your thing of course. smile.gif
Also, floor mats? You seem to be running none, so that will hide the dirty stock one.
slo_celly
QUOTE (The_enD @ May 30, 2013 - 4:40 PM) *
Is it just the picture or your headlight is actually that fogged up?
I would suggest blacking out the tails as it will look great on a black Celi, if that is your thing of course. smile.gif
Also, floor mats? You seem to be running none, so that will hide the dirty stock one.

Not fogged up, smoked with a transparent vinyl. Yea, a good shampooing is in order and THEN mats. Lol vacuuming wasn't enough.

As for paint, im considering leaving the fenders red, as there's this sweet "limited edition" painted above the Celica badges that came on the fenders... But, plastidip (or satin) white everything else... I have a set of 18s that were meant to go on today, but a lack of a lug key stopped that. frown.gif

These are the 140 dollar rims I picked up off Craig's list... Can't wait to see em on, fitted with proper rubber. biggrin.gif
Box
QUOTE (slo_celly @ May 30, 2013 - 4:31 PM) *

Lol its denim!

Still a type of cloth. tongue.gif

I want leather seats for my car.
slo_celly
QUOTE (Box @ May 30, 2013 - 7:13 PM) *
QUOTE (slo_celly @ May 30, 2013 - 4:31 PM) *

Lol its denim!

Still a type of cloth. tongue.gif

I want leather seats for my car.

That's what I would've been sitting on.. lol

Meh, I figured I ain't seen an interior done quite like this.... Something Different...
Box
Just swap the cushions and covers from the passenger to the driver side, what I did. tongue.gif
slo_celly
E
QUOTE (Box @ May 31, 2013 - 1:10 AM) *
Just swap the cushions and covers from the passenger to the driver side, what I did. tongue.gif

Lol, actually.... that's very clever.

Totally goin denim tho... tongue.gif
slo_celly
E
QUOTE (Box @ May 31, 2013 - 1:10 AM) *

Lol, actually.... that's very clever.

Still Totally goin denim tho... tongue.gif
cheela
FYI, that limited edition above the badge is just a sticker. but yeah, don't know if you can peel it off nicely and reuse.
slo_celly
QUOTE (cheela @ Jun 3, 2013 - 8:18 AM) *
FYI, that limited edition above the badge is just a sticker. but yeah, don't know if you can peel it off nicely and reuse.

Yeaah, I actually noticed that today while I was putting the wheels on. Im Kinda relieved it wasn't painted, now I have no reason not to paint the entire car the same color... biggrin.gif
Box
What's Mario's favourite kind of pants?

Denim denim denim. Denim denim denim. laugh.gif
slo_celly
QUOTE (Box @ Jun 3, 2013 - 2:16 PM) *
What's Mario's favourite kind of pants?

Denim denim denim. Denim denim denim. laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I SHOULD do her up super Mario style. biggrin.gif

The white celly, with the red fenders, with the denim interior. A lil one up mushroom above the exhaust... Totally...

slo_celly

BAM! Outside of my new, way better, place of employment.

Lol
cheela
looking better everyday. great job so far. thumbsup.gif
Box
What is this state inspection thing? laugh.gif
slo_celly
QUOTE (cheela @ Jun 4, 2013 - 2:02 PM) *

Thank you. I mean it. I've put many hours into her, here in my Apts parking lot... I glow every time I drive her those extremely short distances. By the end of the week I SHOULD have enough money to.finish off the running gear and get her registered... And legal.... For less. rolleyes.gif

(And to my surprise, my land lord has been SUPER cool about me putting in work out there. Granted, I clean up every time I stop working on it (even when I leave to go get parts) although theres a rule in the lease agreement to NEVER do ANY kind of auto repair here... So I'm extremely grateful for that.).

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 4, 2013 - 2:08 PM) *

And as for state inspections.... It's this little thing Pennsylvania does to attempt to make sure your car holds together safely for the next 12 months. owned.gif Lol and on a related note: since I'm employed now at a said "inspection station" I'm reasonably certain i can get my stickers finally as there is a 4-2-1 header equipped lol and Pennsylvania TOTALLY frowns on catalytic converter deletion devices.(hefty fines + repair cost = more than I care to spend.). But if anyone asks.... you dunno nuttin! cwm13.gif

Box
QUOTE (slo_celly @ Jun 4, 2013 - 10:52 PM) *
And as for state inspections.... It's this little thing Pennsylvania does to attempt to make sure your car holds together safely for the next 12 months.

Seems silly if you ask me.
czwalga
QUOTE (slo_celly @ Jun 4, 2013 - 11:52 PM) *
QUOTE (cheela @ Jun 4, 2013 - 2:02 PM) *

Thank you. I mean it. I've put many hours into her, here in my Apts parking lot... I glow every time I drive her those extremely short distances. By the end of the week I SHOULD have enough money to.finish off the running gear and get her registered... And legal.... For less. rolleyes.gif

(And to my surprise, my land lord has been SUPER cool about me putting in work out there. Granted, I clean up every time I stop working on it (even when I leave to go get parts) although theres a rule in the lease agreement to NEVER do ANY kind of auto repair here... So I'm extremely grateful for that.).

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 4, 2013 - 2:08 PM) *

And as for state inspections.... It's this little thing Pennsylvania does to attempt to make sure your car holds together safely for the next 12 months. owned.gif Lol and on a related note: since I'm employed now at a said "inspection station" I'm reasonably certain i can get my stickers finally as there is a 4-2-1 header equipped lol and Pennsylvania TOTALLY frowns on catalytic converter deletion devices.(hefty fines + repair cost = more than I care to spend.). But if anyone asks.... you dunno nuttin! cwm13.gif

Ehh the cat thing is easy to get around. Especially on newer cars.
slo_celly
I'm just being a little paranoid about it. I've had too many fines in the past for dumb stuff.
slo_celly
Well, got a letter this weekend from penndot. They're suspending my license next month... Yet AGAIN. (this will be the 3rd time in my life :smacks forehead:) I made a couple bad decisions last year, and just now I'm paying the price.... But, it will only be for 90 days. At which point, I should be done with her completely (yea, right. A project is NEVER complete. rolleyes.gif) now, its just a matter of patients. Obeying... Waiting... It'll be all worth it too. I got to test drive her in the past week, and she's definitely still got some fight in her. But, what feels like bad strut mounts, and a blown rear
motor mount, makes her road feel a little askew. Lol
So, I'm going to put her back under the knife.
So come time this fall when I'm all legal again, she should be sporting a new stance, and a couple other upgrades... (turbo perhaps? Nitrous? We'll see what the budget allows)

So, Until the month of Oct, (which will mark a full year since my hardest days in recent memory) shell be prowling the pavement... So, until then... Celly sleeps...

momentai99
QUOTE (slo_celly @ May 22, 2013 - 3:21 AM) *
Major work got done the past couple days.

wtf broken/missing motor mount bolts?!

BAM!

Then, i had to persuade the old mount apart...

BOOM!

day after that, (yesterday) i left on a little trip sparked by a craigslist ad.

to get THESE for 100 bucks thumbsup.gif

the guy i got these from has more parts.

THIS IS WHAT HE HAS LEFT**

....yay progress!

i took this time to run a power cable for a stereo in the future.

and that is why we use fender liners kids...

ermagerd.

thats it for now... next is ds parking brake cable, making my rotor seat proper,
some battle damage (dent) removal, just a little rot repair, rims on, paint, and of course,
silence-able muffler.

this cars been excersising everything i've learned in automotives thus far in life. auto body,
paint, electrical, mechanics... its going to be extremely rewarding to drive her once she's
the way i want. i dont have much more to do really...

it's bad when I know exactly where you got your parts from, who you got them from and the fact that there's so few of us in the general area. We neet to have a pitt/butler/armstrong county/ clarion county meetup. The general vicinity has a handful of us. Oh and to the asshole driving through butler who decided to paint their celica white because they kept getting pulled over, KNOCK IT OFF! Now I'm getting pulled because they think i'm you and there's like 3 of us from here to pitt. It's some chick and she's ruining it for everyone.
slo_celly
QUOTE (momentai99 @ Jun 11, 2013 - 5:49 AM) *
it's bad when I know exactly where you got your parts from, who you got them from and the fact that there's so few of us in the general area. We neet to have a pitt/butler/armstrong county/ clarion county meetup. The general vicinity has a handful of us. Oh and to the asshole driving through butler who decided to paint their celica white because they kept getting pulled over, KNOCK IT OFF! Now I'm getting pulled because they think i'm you and there's like 3 of us from here to pitt. It's some chick and she's ruining it for everyone.

I agree completely, both with the fact that we need to band together here in the area, and that dumb broad needs get her license pulled. mad.gif

But, to stay on a positive note: we should totally orchestrate a meet some time. And do it annually, or semi-annually or whatever. So we can exchange info, and tighten up our 6 gen community around these parts. As I've spotted quite a few around the monroeville, turtle creek, Churchill,penn hills, and I saw one in mckeesport too...
momentai99
QUOTE (slo_celly @ Jun 11, 2013 - 1:33 PM) *
QUOTE (momentai99 @ Jun 11, 2013 - 5:49 AM) *

I agree completely, both with the fact that we need to band together here in the area, and that dumb broad needs get her license pulled. mad.gif

But, to stay on a positive note: we should totally orchestrate a meet some time. And do it annually, or semi-annually or whatever. So we can exchange info, and tighten up our 6 gen community around these parts. As I've spotted quite a few around the monroeville, turtle creek, Churchill,penn hills, and I saw one in mckeesport too...

Your a lucky man, i'm trying to find a rear bumper support, mine wont pass inspection without it. Most of the other ones i've seen while traveling through there are beat to hell or someone is babying it to the extreme (as they should). I bought mine smashed from a college kid for 500 bucks and repaired it. But my local guys told me that one just went to the scrapper in harmony so i'm going to try and salvage parts first. Its a whole florida car so if you need something hit them up it's wagner foreign salvage (724) 368-8831 We definitely need to orchestrate a meet soon. My car is bordering 200k miles and if you saw it you'd never know it. I love this thing and we need more enthusiast. Where do you reside?
My mechanic said theres less of these around than we may realize and I need to start piling parts.

And yes she does, it's absurd. She got pulled over right in front of my house a week ago swerving in and out of 2 lanes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.