Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying beams.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mi645
purchasing a beams I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing some links or ideas where to buy one?
which would you trust? which exactly would you buy please take youre time into this I really need help finding a trusted seller as I already tried purchasing one locally and it had everything lied about.
Smaay
why not V6, im not far from you and i have a V6 on hand, much cheaper than a BEAMS
Box
And doesn't sound like garbage either. tongue.gif
njccmd2002
ok, since you live in california, i better recommend you get a v6 swap. you wont pass smog. Having said that, if you are desperate for a beams...

1. cheaper is not always better

2. Local is not always better.

1st most important things to look for: functional vvti controller, b pipe, and maf and oem airbox... Im telling you sourcing these parts are a bitch.

2nd most important: an LSD tranny, and or the complete set of axles. U can use a non lsd with regular axles, but lsd with the beams axles are better.

3rd. not so important. but ok to have are goodies attached. these are the double piston brakes, and or cool manifold exhausts that are rare... anything else you see in the pic, that the seller is unaware... (lol)

where?

I got mine from ebay, but i bought after it was discussed it was going to be a complete engine. If they give the 30 day start up warranty, they cant honor if you cant start. meaning vvti controller, maf and airbox need to be in the swap.

i looked for several weeks on ebay, and got one with free shipping.

but why go to the hassle of all this for 200 hp, the beams is cool engine,but i feel the celica needs more.... I may put mine for sale in several months.

Go for a V6, in california, that is the only legal way to go
mi645
Ok beams it is! Lol!!!!!!!!!
It's fine about smog I work at Toyota if I really want I can put my 5s back on and smog it but I'm going to track tr car I went the beams not the v6 I want the high rev potential and I've been a big fan of 3s I also get oem beams parts from Japan thru my dealer
njccmd2002
ok then...good luck. its an easy swap.
mi645
So Im looking for beams I find like 210 psi or 220 psi which would u choose and why? Because spec says should e 198.7
Rusty
sounds like a SXE10 blacktop beams which is rwd, not going to fit/work
BonzaiCelica
B18c engines which have same compression as our but they say they are supposed ti have 220 across the board if that helps...
mi645
Talking about red top I found 3 and compression results on 1 of them was 210 psi all across and the other was 220 all across which 1 would u take?
Box
Found this: http://www.beams-redtop.com/redspecs.htm

Between the two I'd say the one with least miles on it and/or whichever looks cleaner.
njccmd2002
^^^ that
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (Box @ Jun 13, 2013 - 1:07 AM) *
Found this: http://www.beams-redtop.com/redspecs.htm

Between the two I'd say the one with least miles on it and/or whichever looks cleaner.

this is already stickied http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61995&hl
BonzaiCelica
So will a 5sfe pressure plate fit onto beams flywheel
BonzaiCelica
woops double post
aspen
As far as I know, it should - that is, running the BEAMS flywheel (which is insanely light) and a 5S-FE clutch and disk....

Let me check to make sure it lines up here....Yes, it fits.
mi645
thank you all wish me luck im going to pick up a beams today in about 5 hours after work =] so I need advice now on b4 I swap it what should I replace to make life easier recommendations are accepted =] thank you everyone and no hate on the v6 guys a v6 would be awesome but I simply want the 3sge and (hint I was about to purchase an st162 1988 gts with a first gen stock 3sge in it also found a few alltracs that model which I love st165 but they all need a ton of work. if any beams owners need parts let me know im a Toyota tech my dealer is ok with me to order oem parts.
mi645
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?it...nid=31090876158

Local If good how much do u Guys think I should offer and can anyone tell if this is from st202 Celica or sw20 mr2? I need harness to be Celica please.! smile.gif and what's missing from what u guys can tell like sensor wise
Antz5SFE
looks like it's from a SS-II. & it's missing the intake box, MAF sensor, & b-pipe. listen to these guys when they tell you it is your BEST BET to buy a COMPLETE swap. including the things i just listed. try to find one with LSD too. i wish i did more reading before i bought mine.
richee3
It's definitely from a late spec ST202. I notice that the O2 sensor is missing. They're a pain to get Stateside but any generic Denso 4 wire O2 sensor can be wired in. The BEAMS ECU ignores it anyway. Looks like the fuel line is cut, so you'll have to splice your 5S fuel line to the BEAMS fuel line. Njccmd has pictures of that in his progress thread. The TPS usually gets broken during shipping, and I see that one is still good. You'll want to order a new thermostat and valve cover gasket right away, as well as clean the ISCV. Those are the biggest trouble spots on a BEAMS when everyone first picks them up. I'm on my 4th thermostat (not my engine's fault). I'm browsing from my phone so the pictures aren't very big, but I do t see the MAF either. I've bought a brand new one for $100.
njccmd2002
Run away from that one aside from all tHats missin the timing cover is broke. Accelerator cable bracket missing. Looks like vvti plug is broke. And I just stopped looking for more problems... Oh one more they plug tranny holes with towel and tranny looks weathered. Good luck possible rust.
mi645
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Used-Toyota-3S...54b&vxp=mtr
how about this 1 besides the stupid ridiculous price that I can offer a different price whats this 1 missing?
Antz5SFE
bro...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Celica-ST202-S...bac&vxp=mtr
mi645
sure its complete but its not local and there is no warranty what if there is something wrong with it...?
Antz5SFE
i feel you on the warranty but like njccmd said local is not always better. i myself wish i would of spent more time looking & not bought one local. but it is what it is.
mi645
So what should I do?
Antz5SFE
listen to these guys on here. tongue.gif but in all seriousness, take your time looking. don't rush into it. & if you really want to go local, do some research on the businesses around there. which shops are reputable & which are not. i'm telling you though, you really want a complete swap if you can find a deal that you are comfortable with.
mi645
Problem is only 2 beams local =\ but ur right I want a full swap it will be much less of a headache I know
njccmd2002
There is no such warranty in these engines. Lol. 30 day start up warranty? I waited 4 weeks for my vvti. By that time what warranty. It took me 10 weeks to do the swap between work and me being a noob. Can you do the swap in 15 days and still claim warranty. Then get a complete. COMPLETE, engine and start buying incidentals now like the timing belt, pump, etc etc etc. and get an extra wiring harness to start extending and have it prep and ready for swap. Then u can be sure you'll get it done in 30 days..... That is if you don't want to refresh other bits of the engine
fatherof4
Make sure you read the fine print on these warranties. Some are worded so if you do so much as change the plugs you just voided the warranty. Putting on a new timing belt could void it. I would rather get the most complete package I could from across the country than have to look for parts locally. Some warranties are just a sales pitch.
mi645
Ok can someone help me find a trusted seller with a complete swap so I can look further into it?
Box
Any off eBay with good feedback should be good. You can always go through and see any bad feedback that they have.
czwalga
Most of those places dont even come close to honoring the warranty.

My backup engine came and I wanted to test the new plug wires. I put them in a completely fine working car, and one of the plug wires was dead. I called them and told them you're blatantly lying saying the engine was started and proven to be running fine.

They were like did you install it by an ASE tech. I tried to explain it didnt matter, all I did was swap plug wires onto a running engine and your **** engine doesnt work how could it have ever ran fine with bad plug wires. Later I found out the ECU is bad as well.

The first engine I got though is still kicking after a lot of abuse.
Smaay
why are you so hung up on a BEAMS? the V6 is looking better and better.
mi645
got nothing against the 3mz-fe just don't like heavy v6s especially interference motors. besides that im a Toyota tech. I get these motors all the time. I know what theyr capable of and I know their weaknesses. and its cheaper for me to own it here since I have access to parts but I still have access to beams parts, and im more interested in the beams 4cylidner more efficient engine. the 3mz loves building carbon... and im not about that world...
Batman722
QUOTE (mi645 @ Jun 21, 2013 - 5:01 PM) *
got nothing against the 3mz-fe just don't like heavy v6s especially interference motors. besides that im a Toyota tech. I get these motors all the time. I know what theyr capable of and I know their weaknesses. and its cheaper for me to own it here since I have access to parts but I still have access to beams parts, and im more interested in the beams 4cylidner more efficient engine. the 3mz loves building carbon... and im not about that world...

the Beams is an interference motor.
Box
Also the 1MZ weighs less than the USDM 4 cylinders. tongue.gif Gets good gas mileage too since it gets 28 in a car that weighs 700 pounds more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.