Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: manual vs automatic alternator
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
marblesmike
Hey guys,

First post here (I think!). I'm replacing my alternator in my 98 Celica GT manual trans. Do I need to buy an alternator specific to a manual transmission or are they interchangeable. I've read mixed things (not Celica specific though) online so I figured I'd come right to the source. Thanks!
Keiri
Mounting wise they are the exact same; the only difference between the two is the Automatic alternator has a higher output than the manual. Since you're putting it a manual, either one you get will work so buy the cheapest of the two.

thumbsup.gif
marblesmike
QUOTE (Keiri @ Jul 9, 2013 - 11:52 AM) *
Mounting wise they are the exact same; the only difference between the two is the Automatic alternator has a higher output than the manual. Since you're putting it a manual, either one you get will work so buy the cheapest of the two.

thumbsup.gif

thanks!

I was about to come back in here and reply that I called Toyota and he said the same thing. Since I'm already ordering one of those custom built 160 amp alternators it shouldn't matter.
SwissFerdi
Manual - 70 amps, automatic - 80 amps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.