Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maintenance at 190K
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
1994whitecelicagt
Hi 6gc members. So my car is at 190K miles and I bought it around 170K miles. I will need to drive it about 1000 miles round trip at least once a month (Sacramento to San Diego). I am unsure when the owner have changed the timing belt, so I plan on doing that now. I plan using a AISIN kit from Rock Auto and was wondering what should I change while I'm at it? Would this be a good kit? I plan on keeping this car as long as I can. I know there are already some forums out there, but I would like some more assistance. I have read on some forums say that I should do the oil pump and oil pump seal. Then some other forums saying I should only do the seal. What do you guys think? Are there any other seals that I should change to prevent oil leaks? The car seems to leak a little oil but I am unsure where its coming from. The leak is so small that there isnt even any oil spots on my driveway, but there is just like a tiny drop ready fall on the oil pain. Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

AISIN kit includes the following components:
AISIN Water Pump
Koyo Idler Bearing
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings
ILoveMySilly97
That kit look sufficient enough. How much did it cost you?
rjbibeau
might as well do a cam seal and valve cover gasket while youre in there since it's gonna be torn apart anyways.
nics
You should be fine. I drive to SD once a month for the past 3 years. Bought mine at 205K now at 273K. So far, the only thing that went out on me while driving was the alternator. I was in Oceanside when that happened and in the middle of the night.

I replaced my timing belt a year after i bought the car.
1994whitecelicagt
The AISIN kit is only $105 at RockAuto! That feels like a steal to me!
1994whitecelicagt
No one answered if I should change both the oil pump and the seal. Or just change the seal itself..... But cam seal and valve cover gaskets sound like a good idea too!
Box
Go ahead and do the pump since you're already there.
1994whitecelicagt
Thanks! But how often do the oil pumps actually fail? I've had a lot of friends tell me that they basically last the life of the car.
richee3
They do not last the life of the car. You generally replace the oil and water pumps with the timing belt because you know those components are going to fail, so you replace them while you have everything apart so you don't have to take it apart again later.
1994whitecelicagt
Okay, thank you very much! I will probably get the AISIN oil pump as well since Amazon has it for a pretty fair price. So I am a little confused. There are two timing belt & water pump kits from AISIN and the only difference is that one includes the housing and one doesn't. What exactly is the housing? And why does the timing belt kit with the housing doesn't show a water pump gasket?? Which kit should I get? The price difference between the two kits are minimal. Thank you for all your guys help! And could someone name the three small seals for me? I know one of them looks like a thermostat housing gasket.

AISIN TKT003: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.p...&cc=1274307 (no housing)

AISIN TKT002 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.p...&cc=1274307 (housing included)
Syaoran
QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 4, 2013 - 10:52 AM) *
They do not last the life of the car. You generally replace the oil and water pumps with the timing belt because you know those components are going to fail, so you replace them while you have everything apart so you don't have to take it apart again later.

You don't replace the oil pump as often as you replace the water pump. That's preposterous. The oil pump doesn't need to be replaced if the rotor is within spec regarding clearance. If you change the oil regularly and use quality oil, the oil pump doesn't wear enough to merit changing it every timing belt change. That's like saying that you should replace rod bearings and main bearings every time you do a water pump.

OP I'd replace:
1. oil pump seal
2. front main crankshaft seal
3. camshaft seal

Don't replace them with OEM rubber seals, get the brown/reddish seals like FelPro ones which are improved OEM designs. Rubber seals get brittle real fast.

There's no need to go through all the work of replacing an oil pump at 190K miles... especially IF your engine is clean on the inside.
Box
These cars weren't babied though. Maybe the first owner did, but after that they were just an economy car for a majority of owners. Since he's already going to be doing all of this work, and looks to be keeping the car for some time, might as well get the peace of mind by going ahead and redoing the oil pump. We had a member here recently trash an engine from a failed oil pump, with a good deal fewer miles on a more upscale Celica than what we get. What's an extra $50 and an hour at this point?
1994whitecelicagt
Both Box and Syaoran brought up good points. But I think I will probably just change it anyways since it's really not that much more expensive and I do not know how well it was taken care of. I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light on the two AISIN kits though? It would be awesome if someone could answer those questions above. I admit I am a newb, but I would really love to learn more about this stuff.
Smaay
there is a reason why its so cheap. I dont recommend it
Syaoran
Aisin is THE oem manufacturer for most parts on these cars...If my oil pump wasn't mounted to the block I would show you the really stupid reasons why they don't sell them as Toyota units. They don't pass quality control because of cosmetic imperfections and blemishes.

Koyo manufactures stock idler and tensioner pulleys and Mitsuboshi manufactures the Toyota timing belt...Nothing bad about them.
Pfloyd09
QUOTE (Box @ Aug 4, 2013 - 11:02 PM) *
These cars weren't babied though. Maybe the first owner did, but after that they were just an economy car for a majority of owners. Since he's already going to be doing all of this work, and looks to be keeping the car for some time, might as well get the peace of mind by going ahead and redoing the oil pump. We had a member here recently trash an engine from a failed oil pump, with a good deal fewer miles on a more upscale Celica than what we get. What's an extra $50 and an hour at this point?

I had my oil pump replaced by a very reputable shop. The book calls for 5 hours labor, and the oil pump is $135 from Toyota. Good luck finding a new one for $50, and getting it done in an hour.
Box
I found the pump for $70 off Rock Auto, and he already has everything torn down doing the timing. So yeah, it would only add an hour or so from where he will be.
Syaoran
QUOTE (Pfloyd09 @ Aug 7, 2013 - 3:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Aug 4, 2013 - 11:02 PM) *

I had my oil pump replaced by a very reputable shop. The book calls for 5 hours labor, and the oil pump is $135 from Toyota. Good luck finding a new one for $50, and getting it done in an hour.

Whoever takes 5 hours on replacing an oil pump housing with power tools and a lift on a 5S-FE is really stupid as a mechanic.
1994whitecelicagt
Yup! But I found the AISIN oil pump for a little cheaper on Amazon and it also comes with free shipping!
Box
Huzzah!
marblesmike
What's the total cost of the labor and what exactly are you having him do?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.