Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High flow quiet muffler?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
bdog_v
Hi guys I've searched enough on this topic and need some muffle advice. I have 94gt 2.2 liter celica. My setup: I had a header, 2 straight through resonator mufflers (including the factory resonator muffler) then a magnaflow straight through oval muffler with no cats. This setup really woke my car up it would start to pull nicely at 3000 rpm. But it was too loud, it was hard to hear my radio above 65mph. So I pulled the magnaflow muffler and reinstalled the factory muffler. I really enjoy the new quiet going down the road but, Just switching mufflers totally shut any little acceleration I had down to nothing. It really doesn't pull much now and when it does it isn't until 4,000 rpm but with much more go pedal required to get it to move where before it took very little pedal to get it moving so!!!!

-Has anyone tried a dynomax super turbo muffler it has a straight through design only it is in a full (S) shape so it has a longer path to travel hopefully cutting down on noise????? I was considering the 3" inlet outlet model......

-Or Is there a straight through muffler that has a resonator you install into the outlet for quiet mode and pull it for less resistance, anyone have experience with one of these?

-Or can someone recommend a resonator I could install in the outlet of my old magnaflow muffler to quiet it down?

Thanks
Brandon
bdog_v
Anyone tried a hushpower II by flowmaster?
ILoveMySilly97
It'll be almost impossible to open up the exhaust path way and have a not so loud exhaust. Best bet would be to run a hi flow cat with a resonator and a cat back exhaust. With 2.25 piping. IMO that's a bit loud but then I'm too use to my stock exhaust. Lol. In the near future I'm going to upgrade to 2.25 piping and throw on a Magnaflow exhaust muffler. Wouldn't mind the headers but living in Cali that's a no go. Lol.
Box
Magnaflow XL is a baffled muffler with perforated tubing. So not that much restriction, but will be quieter than a straight-through.
Syaoran
"High flow" and "quiet" are both relative to the application and to the listener respectively and are both opposites to each other in an exhaust system.

Changing out your stock muffler to a Dynomax super turbo will improve flow vs. stock and will be considerably quiet. A straight-through muffler of the same diameter will be a lot louder, but it will provide much better flow. Do you really need this improvement in flow? Probably not, given that the rest of the exhaust is stock, if you're only changing the stock muffler out.
mkernz22
I have a header, 2.25" exhaust for the whole system, and just a flowmaster 40 series on my car.
It's loud, but I can hear the radio fine on the highway; you just have to turn the volume up a little more than if you had a stock exhaust.
blackliftback
Just up the size on the tubing.
Take your stock exhaust and cut it open. Cut out the piping inside.
Weld in bigger piping. Weld shut muffler.

http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=25047

This guy did it on his civic. He also has vids on there to show how quiet it sounds
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.