Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: quick question on adding a turbo to a 5sfe
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
b22ri22an
I read through a lot of the stickies and a few threads but cant find these particular answers

Can you run a low boost say wastegate pressure about 7lbs on a stock ecu with no piggyback unit? Will doing so compromise your motors reliability?

If the answers were there in the stickies and I missed them I apologize, but it seems they just said its recommended but never said it could or couldn't be done without one if I read it correctly.

I'm not looking for tons of power just a little bit more then what i got. I'm about to have my 5sfe fully overhauled and I am considering putting a turbo charger but I want to keep the cost down. I know if I had the piggyback i could get a lot more the 7lbs on stock internals but the piggyback and hooking it up and tuning it is the part I can't afford the rest can be bought and installed rather cheaply (sub 500) and i can always add the piggyback later when I have more disposable income.
Batman722
no.
Syaoran
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Aug 24, 2013 - 9:50 AM) *
no.

SwissFerdi
^ I agree. I love spending less on mods too, but "cheap" and "aftermarket turbo" should never be used in conjunction.
b22ri22an
thanks for the straight forward answer, its what i assumed was the case but wanted to be sure.
rjbibeau
Can't be cheap when working with boost. Save up until you are ready.
Smaay
you can run the stock ST185 turbo (ct26) using non turbo 7M-GE injectors and a USDM MR2 or ST185 MAP sensor.

b22ri22an
QUOTE (Smaay @ Aug 26, 2013 - 4:09 PM) *
you can run the stock ST185 turbo (ct26) using non turbo 7M-GE injectors and a USDM MR2 or ST185 MAP sensor.

on a stock 5sfe ecu? if so do tell more.... like I said I'm not looking for tons of power just more then what I got, I can't justify the piggyback, the cost of install or tune for 20 to 30hp
Smaay
yes on the stock ECU. i HIGHLY suggest having a wideband O2 sensor to see if you are running lean.
b22ri22an
with that its time to start doing some homework and setup a parts list, thanks Smaay
Pfloyd09
QUOTE (b22ri22an @ Aug 27, 2013 - 10:06 AM) *
with that its time to start doing some homework and setup a parts list, thanks Smaay

If you come up with something workable that you like, please do post the details. I have 2 GTs, and I'd like to do this to my 95 GT auto. The 5-speed is getting a 3S-GTE, but it would be nice to have a bit more pep in the auto for daily driving.

If anyone else has this info, please don't be shy. smile.gif Adding a low boost turbo to the 5sfe that works well with stock internals for under $1k would be very nice to do.
Syaoran
Smaay is talking about this:

http://warp.scl.utah.edu/mr2/Turbo5sfe.html

This always leads to wanting more, which usually leads to kaboom.
Smaay
^^^ yes there is more work involved. you need a 3S-GTE oil pan or modify yours for the oil return. you need to modify your exhaust. and get colder plugs. BKR7ES are a good plug.
lagos
QUOTE (Smaay @ Aug 26, 2013 - 5:09 PM) *

And run about 30-40 degrees of timing under boost with a setup like this, due to cutting your timing map in half.
Pfloyd09
QUOTE (Syaoran @ Aug 29, 2013 - 9:37 AM) *

That page is hosted on the UTAH.EDU site. Any chance some of you fine people are in the SLC Utah area? I am, and it would be very nice to have a 3S-GTE swap-knowledgeable guy near. smile.gif
b22ri22an
QUOTE (Syaoran @ Aug 29, 2013 - 10:37 AM) *

Like I said in the OP I'm not looking for a ton of power just a little extra, If I see 150-160whp i'd be damn happy
Syaoran
Then follow that guide. A boost gauge and a wideband gauge are VERY recommended, as well as perhaps a SAFC piggy-back for fine tuning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.