Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soooo my journey begins, and my first roadblock
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Roadrash
Ive been a long time reader of 6gc, you guys are an awesome community. I can/have spent hours reading through personal builds and checking out the how-to's. Anyhow, I live in a small town in Wyoming where 6th gens are like finding a needle in a haystack. BUT i found one. Not exactly the one I was looking for but its gonna be a fun build nonetheless. 1997 Liftback ST (boo) but it is limited edition and in fairly decent shape. One owner that I'm quite sure never got too crazy with it. Bone stock except an old school KN intake. Bout 6 years ago the clutch started going out and she parked it. Close to a dirt road... Ive spent the last 6 years trying to buy it from her and giving her hell about letting it just sit, next to a dirt road even! She wouldn't budge, had it since it was new and wasn't gonna sell it. Finally the day came and it became mine. After 2 hours straight with a pressure washer and jacks I washed 6 years of dirt road out of her and she looks like a car again. Then I started with the basics. Oil change right off the bat, changed coolant, brake and power steering fluid, clutch fluid etc. New spark plugs went in and wires. I popped the backseat up and pulled the fuel pump out of the awesome access hole. While crying and gagging from the varnish in the tank i stuck a flashlight in to check the damage. To my amazement it was pretty clean. Aside from the brassy gas it was pretty clean. No rust no mud balls, nothing terrible. So i stuck in a hand pump and sucked every drop of crap out if. Used a compressor and blew out the gas line. New fuel filter. Put it all back together and put a fresh tank of fuel in her with some seafoam. Picked up a new battery at napa and cable ends and slapped that in as well.
Time to fire her up! Bumped it a few times to get the juices flowin. Then cranked on it. ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ........ ok. Popped the intake hose off and put some gas in a little sprayer. Had my buddy shoot some fuel in it while i tried it again. VROOOOOOOOOOOOM. And sounded great. as long as he was spraying the gas. So, now that i knew it ran and had a big smile on my face I started diagnosing. Told everyone to shutup and I flipped the key on . Couldn't hear the fuel pump. I climbed in the backseat and flipped the seat up and turned the key on. Yep no fuel pump. So I ran down to napa and picked up a new fuel pump and strainer/sock. Put her all back together and turned the key. VROOOOOM. Awesome. Pulled it up in the garage and got to work on the clutch. Took a whole saturday but went well. So there she was road ready. Drove her around for 2 weeks. Felt good, sounded good, no leaks, no smoke, no missing, no fouling, she ran good.
Then, Yesterday I hopped in her and turned the key. ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh sounded like no fuel again. So i popped the line off the top of the fuel filter to see if fuel would come out. Nope. So i opened the access hole and took the line apart right on top of the fuel pump assembly. No fuel would come out there either and I couldnt hear the pump kick on again. SO I took the pump out, cursed napa for selling me a defective pump, and got a new one. Put it all back together and still nothing, it wont even kick on. I put a test light to the plug and found that the green/yellow has constant power. and its the only power. i assumed one would give power for say 2 seconds then kick back off. But it all just worked fine the day before.... The fuse is good and I assume the relay is fine since there is power? Or is the constant sign of power an indicator that the relay is bad? Turning to you all for help. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks in advance

garin
you should hear the fuel pump with the first key click. you can hook it up to a battery out of the car to bench test it. double check fuses along with the relay. i believe both are up front in the driverside box in the engine bay. grounds are a typical culprit too. think logically. look into small matter first then go big. did you also consider filter and injectors? good luck. update us! pictures keep us interested too. lol
Roadrash
Visually the fuses are fine. I'm not sure how to test the relay in the fuse box. The fuel pump doesn't kick on at all. The yellow/green wire in the plug has constant power when the key is on. Isn't there another relay between the fuse block and the pump? something opening relay? Any types of tests that can be done to single out the problem? Even though the plug has enough power to light up a test light , does that mean its putting out 12v or the amperage needed to turn the pump on? Electrical always stumps me =/
Smaay
jump +B and Fp in the diagnostic box under the hood. if that doesnt turn on the pump you have an electrical issue
Special_Edy
QUOTE (Smaay @ Aug 31, 2013 - 10:33 PM) *
jump +B and Fp in the diagnostic box under the hood. if that doesnt turn on the pump you have an electrical issue

^^^This.
Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail or filter and use a jumper on the FP and +B.
You might also try connecting a noid light to a fuel injector plug to see if the ECU is firing the injectors
Roadrash
Alright, headed out to the garage with a jumper this morning. I got no change when i jumped fp and +b, no fuel pump. +b has power when the key is on. FP has no power even when cranking the engine.
Also, I just noticed that even with everything hooked up the way it should be and my key on, the fuel gauge in the dash reads completely empty...
Roadrash
Didn't want to do it but I think ill go stick that pump in a bucket of water and hit it with some 12v for just a second to see if it works. Its brand new , and the one before it was only 2 weeks old. Unless I'm buying up a bad batch of pumps I assume its not the problem, but best to rule everything out.
Roadrash
Well no better way to introduce myself then with a moron post? Apparently the prongs inside the extra connector that came with the pump, are so weak that you can bend one over without even feeling it while plugging in the clip. Was taking it apart to test it and noticed the bent prong. fixed that and low and behold? She is alive again. Thanks guys for the input! Now i can focus on my pressing things like getting my build thread put together and ordering MOAR PARTS!!
Roadrash
Nothing can ever be as easy as I would like it to be. I really don't understand this issue?!?! After I got it running again I took it to town. Went into the store and came back out and tried to fire it up. ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh, turned the key off and cussed. tried it again run run run VROOOM. thought hmmm maybe air in the line or something? there is no leaks so i know im not sucking air. but anyways it fired back up and away I went on another arrand. and it was running fine no sputtering or nothing at all. Got to my next destination and turned it off. went inside for 20 mins or so and came back out. RUH RUH RUH RUH RUH RUH RUH RUH. this time its not starting. in fact its still sitting in the parking lot in town. I pulled the line off the top of the filter and no gas coming out. pulled the line off the assembly, no gas. Pulled the pump out of the tank again, checked all the connections and put it back together and still cant get the pump to turn on again WTF? is this the sign of a relay going out? i tried to pull the efi relay from the box and the black casing "shell" broke off without the relay coming out. all the little copper wires inside are connected none are burned or split and test light lights up when i touch it to the innerds of the relay.... extremely frustrated . 98 degrees today and im climing around in the back seat of a black celi in walmart parking lot. arggg what is going on guys
Roadrash
OK so this is where I'm at guys so you don't have to read through it all. I picked up a 6th gen that had been siting for years. Did all the usual stuff before even trying to start it. Including cleaning the gas tank. When i got it done and tried to start it i got no fuel. It was a bad fuel pump. Bought a new fuel pump and it went in without a hitch. Car fired right up and drove great for about 2 weeks. One morning it wouldnt start, no fuel again. couldnt hear the pump again. Traded in the new fuel pump for another new fuel pump. Put the new one in and it still wouldnt kick on. checked all fuses they were good. got power to the plug on the green/yellow wire at the pump. but no fuel. Took the pump out and saw that i had bent one of the pins over on the harness from the pump to the assembly. not bent a bunch just enough to go into the other slot in the plug and not the one its supposed to. put it back together and it fired right up. let it run for awhile, started it and turned it off a few times. Couple hours later hopped in to go to town and turned the key, got ruh ruh ruh ruh. turned the key off then back on and it fired up. went to town at my first stop when i got back in same thing ruh ruh ruh, key off, then it fired up. at the next stop i got back in and ruh ruh ruh ruh, key off, ruh ruh ruh, key off ruh ruh ruh. cracked the fuel line coming directly off the pump assembly and not getting ANY FUEL. took the pump out in the parking lot checked all connections and still no fuel coming out of the pump it wont even turn on. so my poor celi is sitting in the parking lot of walmart and im about to **** a brick cos i dont want to tow it home. any input would be greatly appreciated. here is the info

Constant power to the green/yellow wire at the plug.
No fuel coming out of the top of the pump its not even turning on.
efi fuse good, I tried to pull the efi relay in the fuse box under the hood and the black case broke off but all copper leads are intact and it shows power with a test light so i assume its good.
new filters and new strainer on pump with each change.

What the hell
Roadrash
Pulled the AC relay out of the box and plugged it into the efi relay slot. fired right up. woop woop
SwissFerdi
thumbsup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.