Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low idle rpms at start when cold
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Sinyk
Hey guys, anyone know what could be up with my car? It seems to be idling a lot lower than it should with the cold weather we have been having. I started it today when it was about 4C outside and normally it would shoot up to about 1400-1500 rpms at idle and then slowly come down, but now it goes to maybe 900 rpms and stays there, maybe getting up to 1000 rpms.

I am going to have to replace the battery in the car as it is about 5 years old and after the car sat for 6 days it wouldn't start in the cold. any ideas what could be the culprit?

RabidTRD
Check the EGR VSV on the top water outlet. It's the one with 2 vac hoses going to it. If one is broken or punched, it won't increase idle for cold temps. This is your warm-up valve.
Sinyk
I Checked around the hose last night and I didn't see any issues, of course the battery was dead again so I couldn't even start it. Going to have to replace that right away so I can test it further. I would hate to think that in my furious detailing that I damaged one of the hoses, but they looked fine to me.

In regards to the VSV, you are referring to the red valve on the left in this picture right? I replaced that about 30,000 Kms ago along with the EGR valve itself.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x236/Si...nt/IMG_0857.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.