Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To buy, or not to buy?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
leb_toyota
I"m looking at a 1996 Celica 25th anniversary ST 5spd with 240K miles. Owner says everything works and it runs well, but it needs a release bearing and possibly a new radio antenna. It has, what appears to be, black leather seats? Here it is in the ad:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4128417004.html

I can never find a black celica hatchback around here, let alone one with a 5spd and leather seats, and I want something really good on gas. Owner said its mine for $800
Would you guys go for it? What kind of MPG do you guys get in your 1.8 5spd cars? I currently have a 2004 325i auto, and I can NEVER pull more than 23 MPG, with 80% freeway travel under 75MPH
Box
I'll buy it if you don't. tongue.gif I get 36+ out of mine, but I also drive like a sensible person and not a punk ass kid.

Hell, if I were nearby I'd be a dick and buy it out from under you. tongue.gif
SwissFerdi
For that price it sounds quite alright, just be aware that the release bearing is (at least) a day's work.
leb_toyota
How much does it cost for an Indy shop to do it for me?
Box
Just have the clutch replaced at the same time, since everything is down there in the same spot. Cost of a good clutch kit is under $150, so it's a matter of having it done. Being the car costs $800 you'll have plenty of a cushion before you'd be upside down with it.

You better hurry, 500 miles is starting to not seem so bad. tongue.gif
Keiri
Grab it. I was interested in this one for the seats but couldn't find a way to two it back to Charlotte.
leb_toyota
Ok, I sent the seller an email that I will pick it up saturday. Owner said it runs and drives fine and should be shiftable all the way back up to richmond, so thats what I intend to do!
Box
Glad I could help in persuading you. tongue.gif
leb_toyota
Honestly I am super excited for this car. I've always wanted a celica of this generation, in black, with black leather seats, and hatchback (not coupe or vert), and with the small motor for better gas mileage.
kurt95gt
Sounds like you found your dream celica
Congratulation!!
Box
Liftback. tongue.gif I want black leather, and the colour not red. Oh well... redface.gif
leb_toyota
I don't think this got answered though, but how much can I expect to pay the dealer or an indy mechanic to change the clutch and release bearing? I'm buying this car to learn stickshift, so I might as well learn on this crapped out clutch and when get the hang of it, get somebody to fix it.

EDIT
contacted seller again, she said 2 mechanics said it was just the release bearing, and the clutch was good.
Box
Already going to be there though, it'd be stupid to not go ahead and replace the clutch and pilot bearing. Personally I would just drive it until you learn how to drive it well enough, then get a clutch kit and just replace it all. Then you won't have to worry about it for some time unless you're just terrible at driving.

The only ones that can answer that are your local shops. Prices vary from region to region, and even from shop to shop within a region.
leb_toyota
Fair enough. I really can't complain about a 800$ car.
Box
QUOTE (leb_toyota @ Oct 17, 2013 - 8:30 PM) *
Fair enough. I really can't complain about a 800$ car.

Especially one that still runs and drives and isn't a piece of junk. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm surprised they're selling as cheap as they are, you're definitely getting a Hell of a deal.
cheela
I got the solution. you buy the car and then come and trade it with Box.

You'll fix the problems with it and drive away with a dependable car and box will get rid of his devil color he loves so much.
leb_toyota
NO. This is EXACTLY the color combo and drivetrain combo i wanted, no trades EVAR haha.
Box
Meh, he'd have to add $2,000 to even it out. tongue.gif
cheela
LOL. in all seriousness though, get the car and do what you need to get it drivable. shouldn't cost more than any other 6th gens you find and it's in good condition and the right color. smile.gif
leb_toyota
Talked to the owner again, car will pop out of 3rd gear....What do you guys think? Still pull trigger on it? Trip is supposed to happen tomorrow morning.

EDIT
I'm gonna pass on this car, i'm not liking the sound of it the more I ask for information about it. Its all yours box biggrin.gif
mkernz22
It only pops out when you get on it right? If that's so, I believe the clutch is going as well...(but someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Either way, you're replacing the throw out bearing (release bearing) so just replace the clutch while you're in there.
Box
Means the the synchro is completely gone. The C50 transmission in the early AW11 is notorious for having a problem with popping out of 5th. I'd only be buying it for the interior and shell anyhow. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.