Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 200 flywheel hp on a 5s-fe??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
integra_killer
I was thinking about making my 5s-fe engine 200hp (all motor) at the flywheel.
I can't add a turbo because insurance will skyrocket, and a 3s-gte swap is kinda too expensive and once again the insurance will skyrocket frown.gif

Anyway, I want to make my current 5s-fe 200hp, and I was thinking about things like a cat back exhaust, headers, fuel rail, injectors, plugs, all that good stuff..

What do you guys think will get me to 200hp without a turbo or Nitrous?
and would it be worth it?
thnx!
R-03
you can try to port and polish the head, and upgrade the ecu. i think 200 is a reachable goal, i just don't know how much it will cost. i suggest you buy a used 5sfe head and have it worked on when it's done, drop it into you car. it cuts the down time, then you can sell your old one to help pay for the cost of the head gasket set.
Jabberwock
Shhhh....don't tell insurance about the swap or turbo..hehe

Well, catback, headers will give you some power but it won't help you reach the 200 by that much.

Fuel rail, injectors, and plugs won't help that much either

However it would all add up if you do the port and polish.

While doing all of that with a new ecu, you can add pulleys, cold air intake, porting the throttle body, I would say gut your cats but you wanted a cat back....

With all of that I think you would be able to reach 200+.

But I think that can lead to cost more than a turbo or swap and it would kind of become a ....race engine, so wouldn't insurance still sky rocket.

I am not really sure but that would be my opinion
integra_killer
yea, i would plan to add all those together...
the way insurance works in ontario is you have to declare if you ADD something to your engine (ie turbo)... with exhaust and intakes and stuff i can jsut say i "replaced" my old ones with ebtter ones, and my insurance wont go up... so this is mainly why i want to make my engine all motor 200hp (so my rates stay the same)

what do you guys mean by port and polishing the throttlebody?.. =sorry if its a newbie question, but i dont know half as much as some of you guys about all this stuff! frown.gif
ghostdog
just stick with a turbo man. insurance doesn't have to know. besides you can always remove it if you have to.

to reach 200 hp n/a your gonna need a lot more than bolt ons. you're messing with the internals of the engine and that costs $$$.
SpedToe169
to reach 200 hp n/a your gonna need a lot more than bolt ons. you're messing with the internals of the engine and that costs $$$.

Ghost Dog is exactly right. Theres no way you're getting 200hp n/a without spinning the engine faster. That means new internals and that means $$$.

Also, you're driveability and idle will really suffer at that power level. It'll run like a banshee when you're all over it, but it'll suck ass in traffic and at low (below 5.5k) rpm.
Junior
be prepared to spend $$ to get up to 200hp all motor. New high compression pistons will be needed. connecting fods. Lightened fly wheel. New clutch to handle the power. Balanced crank, flywheel, and clutch. Port and polish head. Custom intake manifold, bigger throttle body. Underdrive pulley..... As you can see, there is a lot you can do, but money is needed. You'll have to raise compression. What part of Toronto you from?? I'm in the DonMills and Finch area.
97sccelica
get a compression/leakdown test, if things are good, procede with:

get a new fuel pump and performanc FPR

then run a 50-75 shot of nitrous, along with basic bolt ons.

135hp stock, + 10hp for intake and exhaust, plus 50-75 shot

that puts your around 195-220 hp at the flywheel, get a remote bottle opener and turn the nitrous off to maintain good drivability and conserve the nitrous.

its a lot better than all the money it will cost to get to 200hp all NA.
macavely
yea i would go with what 97sccelica said... you will get to the 200hp make real easy.. plus insurence won't go up cause you can remove the bottle in a few seconds..
subsolo_21
What is a performance FPR?
ghostdog
QUOTE (subsolo_21 @ Jan 30, 2004 - 11:13 AM)
What is a performance FPR?

fuel pressure regulator smile.gif
Junior

that puts your around 195-220 hp at the flywheel, get a remote bottle opener and turn the nitrous off to maintain good drivability and conserve the nitrous.

Too bad the original question asked specified all motor.
97sccelica
QUOTE (Junior @ Jan 30, 2004 - 5:19 PM)

Too bad the original question asked specified all motor.

too bad its not possible to get 200hp@crank with a 5sfe staying all motor with out spending enough to do a turbo setup or swap.
Junior
i disagree, i think if compression is raised to about 11 or 12 to 1, and full head work is done... ie. cams, port and polish. it can be done.
1bwilson
High comp pistons
New or shot peened rods with ARP studs
Ballanced and knife edged crank
ARP head studs
Metal HG
Intake and exhaust cams regrinded by WEB cams
SS 1mm oversized feera valves
Custom valve springs also by feera
Very clean P&P on the head
Have the dome (I think thats what that is) reworked in the head for higher flow
Custom IM with a larger TB

This setup should get you in the ball field but will cost near 4k if your doing the work yourself.

While at it get a clutch, flywheel and an LSD also.
boosted_K2
wilson, are you talking about getting the head extrudahoned? cuz you should do that as well
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Junior @ Feb 2, 2004 - 5:10 AM)
i disagree, i think if compression is raised to about 11 or 12 to 1, and full head work is done... ie. cams, port and polish. it can be done.

Headwork alone will cost more than enough to build a turbo set-up...i know, cause i've done it... and raising the compression alone isn't gonna dramatically increase horsepower, either way, I doubt you can even break the 11's with the stock 5s pistons... lucky if you can get 11:1 comp with a shaved head... but all's not certain until done.

The hardest part I see about building a reliable all-motor 5sfe is the stroke. It has a very tall stroke, which hurts the engine's ability to revv. If not properly built, it won't last long. Revving is the how an n/a motor makes its power, and the 5sfe is limited most by that... even with all of the mods listed by 1bwilson, costing over 4k to do, the 5s still isn't a rev happy block...
Junior
i should have mentioned, raise compression with high compression pistons. Sorry 'bout that guys. I agree it cost more to do all motor then doing a turbo set up. but, the question asked all motor. how the guy wants to blow his wad is his choice. Personally, i would love to see it done and if i had money to waste, i would go all motor. Probably not all 5sfe motor, but all motor 3sge.
PlanetFuzz
what is port and polish?
97sccelica
QUOTE (PlanetFuzz @ Feb 2, 2004 - 7:50 PM)
what is port and polish?

enlarging and smoothing out the intake and exhaust ports

they do it to the head to, around the valves, it removes hot spots and helps prevent detonation.

thats is a very very simplified description
qatar11
Throw it out and get a 3SGTE
94Toy
If your looking for 200 flywheel hp your going to have to spend a crap ton of money. If your goal was more like 140-150 I think it would be feasable with a few costly mods (valve job, cams, port and polish plus the basics). In order to reach 200 you will need to completely overhaul the engine, were talking full rebuild with extremely high compression crazy cams (and they durration on them would be so long your idle would be completely screwed), connecting rods, and for an engine built like this would have to be, you are looking at at least 800-1000 dollars for connecting rods.

I wish you the best of luck powerwise, but you better have a hell of a job, and another car to use as a daily drive as the celica will turn into a tow to the track, fun toy.

If I am wrong someone please, please correct me.

Sorry if I am a little confusing but it is Friday, and I am in college
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.