Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 96 Celica st replace piston rings?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
aiq
I have a 96 Celica ST with 113000 miles. This car has been burning oil like crazy since I bought it. At least a quart every 750 miles or so. It smokes a lot when I step on gas which leads me to believe that the piston rings are shot. Is it worth it to pay someone to change the piston rings? It is due for a timing change soon anyways and I think it will be better to do both at the same time? Any ideas will be appreciated.
blackliftback
I have a 97 st and it did burn a lot of oil before. I read into piston soaking with mmo. Its only around five bucks for the bottle so i went ahead anyway. For me, it worked like a charm. Not even half a quart burned between oil changes. And it use to burn at least 2-3 quarts inbetween oil changes.

I say at least try piston soaking. It may or may not work. But hey can't argue with a few bucks.
Box
Piston soak it and run with the MMO for 1,000 miles. If that doesn't do it you can always switch out to 20W-50 if you live in a warm climate and that'll slow the burn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.