Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil filter leak
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
danmumo
I really need your knowledge guys! I found that the reason my oil filter is dry is because my car is leaking a huge amount of oil right where the oil filter goes. Does anyone know how I can stop this and what I would need to do and change?

Thanks for your time smile.gif
Box
Silly easy questions first, is it the right filter for the car? If it is check the threads on the engine where the filter goes to make sure they're not burred. If all of that checks out make sure you rub some oil on the filter seal and it's tightened all of the way. If none of that solves it we got a problem somewhere else.
danmumo
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 7, 2013 - 5:16 PM) *
Silly easy questions first, is it the right filter for the car? If it is check the threads on the engine where the filter goes to make sure they're not burred. If all of that checks out make sure you rub some oil on the filter seal and it's tightened all of the way. If none of that solves it we got a problem somewhere else.

Everything seems to be okay...I made sure it was tightly sealed when I changed the oil ( synthetic) approximately 4000kms ago. I was told that it could be the mechanism where the oil filter lies on...but I have no idea?

Do you know anything about that?
richee3
Did you make sure the old oil filter gasket stayed on the filter when you removed it? I've seen the old gasket stay on the engine and create a bad seal when the new filter is put on.
Box
QUOTE (danmumo @ Nov 7, 2013 - 3:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 7, 2013 - 5:16 PM) *

Everything seems to be okay...I made sure it was tightly sealed when I changed the oil ( synthetic) approximately 4000kms ago. I was told that it could be the mechanism where the oil filter lies on...but I have no idea?

Do you know anything about that?

The housing? Perhaps it could be leaking. Clean the area and watch the area for leaks while the engine is running. I'd also check out what Richee mentioned.
danmumo
I will check tomorrow afternoon when I get home from University. I am planning on putting the car away for the winter and I'm bummed that it's leaking so much mad.gif
Box
Other places to check would be oil pan seal and valve cover gasket. Then you have fun ones like the main seal... Hopefully it's something simple.
danmumo
QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 7, 2013 - 6:02 PM) *
Did you make sure the old oil filter gasket stayed on the filter when you removed it? I've seen the old gasket stay on the engine and create a bad seal when the new filter is put on.

I will be checking this tomorrow to make sure it isn't that.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 7, 2013 - 8:15 PM) *
Other places to check would be oil pan seal and valve cover gasket. Then you have fun ones like the main seal... Hopefully it's something simple.

I plan on changing the timing belt before getting the car on the road next spring and i would like buying this kit :

http://www.e-autosports.com/cometic/cometi...t/i-461748.aspx

is it a hard job changing all those gaskets?

and once again guys i appreciate your input, i am new to the 6g and still have a lot of learning to do!!
Box
I've never heard of them, I'd stick to OEM and top name brands. There's no point in replacing the head-gasket unless there are signs of it going out. As far as a good tune up I'd do the timing belt with all of the tensioners and pulleys, water pump, thermostat, oil pump, PCV valve, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, valve cover with spark plug tube seals, and replace the gearbox oil. I'd flush out the cooling system before changing the pump as well. Another thing you might look into is replacing the fuel pump strainer and flushing the injectors out. Can also do brakes and suspension if you feel like it. Of course a lot of this I'd only do if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. If not just run the car until something breaks, then replace it. Of course first thing first is figuring out why it's dumping oil everywhere.
danmumo
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 7, 2013 - 9:42 PM) *
I've never heard of them, I'd stick to OEM and top name brands. There's no point in replacing the head-gasket unless there are signs of it going out. As far as a good tune up I'd do the timing belt with all of the tensioners and pulleys, water pump, thermostat, oil pump, PCV valve, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, valve cover with spark plug tube seals, and replace the gearbox oil. I'd flush out the cooling system before changing the pump as well. Another thing you might look into is replacing the fuel pump strainer and flushing the injectors out. Can also do brakes and suspension if you feel like it. Of course a lot of this I'd only do if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. If not just run the car until something breaks, then replace it. Of course first thing first is figuring out why it's dumping oil everywhere.

That is a long list! I do keep to keep the car forever. My girlfriend and I both have 6ge celicas and we want to keep them for as long as we can in the best running shape possible. Both of them need a lot of work and we will try and slowly get everything done. It is hard when you're on a tight budget and going to university. Things I really need go get done for next year are timing belt, suspension, the oil leak and figuring out why my car idles at 1300rpms.
Box
Idle issue is most likely due to a dirty IACV. Can take it off and clean it out.
richee3
Cometic makes good gaskets.
RabidTRD
GT or ST? If it's the GT, it could be the oil cooler leaking.
danmumo
QUOTE (RabidTRD @ Nov 8, 2013 - 12:09 PM) *
GT or ST? If it's the GT, it could be the oil cooler leaking.

It's a GT
RabidTRD
Check around the base if the oil cooler that sits under the filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.