Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Top Beams
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Poonicus
Alright so I've been seeing this motor more and more on here and I'm curious; what's so special about it, how much does one go for, how hard is the swap, and is it worth it? I've read some what on the red top on the google search but doesn't really give me a good description on what it actually is, you know? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Rusty
A pretty engine with a Red cover over the top.

A beams or a 4thgen 3S-GE redtop, came on our late spec ST202 SS-II & SS-III from 97-99 (RHD only btw), one of the first Toyota engines to feature VVTI - which is continuous variable valve, this replaced Toyota's old version which was VVT - only on or off. As with all 3S-GE's, a great powerful NA engine. USA members sometimes refer it, the engine which they should have had factory rather than the 7A or 5S.
Our 3S-GE & beams thread- good reading.

How much depends on:
you just get the engine
engine & gearbox
1/2 cut < recommended, as you get everything needed -the white rev gauge. plus more. If its a SS-III you get the twin piston brakes, Helical LSD, and superstrut suspension.

Also depends on shipping to yourself & whom you sourced it from.

How hard is the swap? How skilful, how much mechanical experience and what tools do you have?
Since your Celica is a ST204, there is no difference with the engine mounts. In our project section you can see the top sticky thread, which has info about members projects.
Good threads to read about this swap:
richee3
njccmd2002
hurley97
^ as they are LHD like yourself
ricochet1490 - RHD converted
S8S8 RHD factory
Also listen into our 6GC podcast as it has good notes & info if you're looking at swapping.

Is it worth it? Most (if not all) people who swap love it. Although it is difficult & expensive to get more power out of it due to the short production line run of them & lack of aftermarket parts available.

Good luck.
Poonicus
Thank you for all the info, it's exactly what I was looking for, I was looking at the project threads and kept getting distracted by other things that caught my eye like the_end's celica haha. But thank you for your time and whatnot, going to do some more reading and since I'm looking to do this within the next year or so you have anywhere that you recommend to get a red top?
Rusty
Best to check with other USA people for that
H8TRAIN
QUOTE (Poonicus @ Nov 20, 2013 - 10:20 PM) *
Thank you for all the info, it's exactly what I was looking for, I was looking at the project threads and kept getting distracted by other things that caught my eye like the_end's celica haha. But thank you for your time and whatnot, going to do some more reading and since I'm looking to do this within the next year or so you have anywhere that you recommend to get a red top?

Try Dallas JDM Motors in Arlington, Texas. 817-652-0300
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.