Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Site Suggestions
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Website Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Rusty
Coomer is currently working on our number one priority, spam management control.

While he is working on this, us mods have put forward a couple of ideas for the site.

Now opening it up, to members so if you have any small/simple suggestions for the site/forum and if Coomer has enough time afterwards might look into.
richee3
I know other forums accept contributions to keep the site going and keep ads to a minimum and in exchange for a contribution, members get added storage space for pictures or other small things. I'd be up for contributing to keeping things going around here.

This would probably be too much work but I would also like to see a subforum, maybe in Off Topic, for Other Vehicles. A place for project threads or just to showcase the other cars that we all have.
kurt95gt
X2 on the other cars thread in off topic
That's been in my head for awhile.
kurt95gt
Oh an some new mods!!
You an Manny try your best but can only do so much
Like maybe 3-4 new mods would be good too
Box
Really we just need bot control, changing it to where new members first few posts have to be approved would put an end to it. Separate section for other cars is also a great idea, as many people have more than just the Celica or choose to change cars but would like to stay. Having that would give the latter a reason to stay and not feel weird about it.
BonzaiCelica
a way that new threads don't get created by newbs unless they've already searched the forum for the answer. the search button on top right hand of screen isn't the best. google does a better job at this...

we repeat our answers over and over again. i usually never reply anymore cause it just gets tiring.

a more advanced chat!! haha
Batman722
Richee3 should be a mod.

That's all I think.

maybe njccmd2002 also.

Time to pass the torch.
Box
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Nov 26, 2013 - 10:26 PM) *
Richee3 should be a mod.

That's all I think.

maybe njccmd2002 also.

Time to pass the torch.

I second the notion on both.
kurt95gt
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 26, 2013 - 11:58 PM) *
Richee3 should be a mod.

That's all I think.

maybe njccmd2002 also.

Time to pass the torch.

I vote for richee3 for sure
Keiri
Agreed on both counts.
playr158
Yes I very much agree that we need additional moderators.....we also need a moderator with higher access than the current ones have for when Christian goes MIA.

DIVIDE BUYING AND SELLING..... wanted and ForSale
The_enD
QUOTE (The_enD @ Jul 6, 2013 - 1:47 AM) *
There should be some indication that people are in the chat, you can hardly catch anyone.

ex:

Box
QUOTE (playr158 @ Nov 27, 2013 - 8:00 AM) *
Yes I very much agree that we need additional moderators.....we also need a moderator with higher access than the current ones have for when Christian goes MIA.

Indeed, Rusty and Manny should be given admin privileges and then we add a few new mods.

Another good idea.
BonzaiCelica
i mentioned dividing buying/selling thread into two parts like playr mentioned but people said no no don't do its we don't have enough people selling stuff blah blah.
Batman722
embedded videos.
Box
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 27, 2013 - 3:46 PM) *
i mentioned dividing buying/selling thread into two parts like playr mentioned but people said no no don't do its we don't have enough people selling stuff blah blah.

Even if there's "not enough" people, it tidies things up some. So meh on them. tongue.gif
njccmd2002
what tis site need is more turkey carving....

we need more creation, more imagination. Thinking out of the box... (see what i did there?)

No really, now its either mz, beams or 3sgte. Sure they are proven reliable swaps. But before that happened several years ago, someone had to venture out.

Nobody wants to venture out, and when they do, they get shut down. too many excuses. id like to see creativity here guys, then we can worry about having more.

Cutting the firewall? pfff, see this all the time in a 1GC, make tranny tunnel? sure again, check japanesenostalgiccars.com

what im trying to say is just because someone said its not supposed to be done, it shouldnt be done? Why? Sure it will cost a dime, but that what tis all about.

If someone wants to make a RWD celica, GO for it. I mean, were seeing some AWD being made... different engines, break through, and no repeats.

Swapping the good ol 3sgte is awesome dont get me wrong, but i get more satisfaction when i see fabrication and customization....

and sure, break the f/s section in 2...

oh and the signature too, make it bigger...
Box
Ditto on bigger signatures. In this day and age if a 600x200 100kb signature on each post is enough to bog your computer down, you have other problems to worry about.

Bigger avatars would be nice as well.
cjh4l22
QUOTE (playr158 @ Nov 27, 2013 - 9:00 AM) *

^I agree with this completely.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 27, 2013 - 8:33 PM) *
Ditto on bigger signatures. In this day and age if a 600x200 100kb signature on each post is enough to bog your computer down, you have other problems to worry about.

Bigger avatars would be nice as well.

^I agree with the bigger signatures but not TOO big. I find that when the sigs & avatars get big it takes forever to scroll the page because it lengthens it. We end up with more pictures than responses.
richee3
Richee3 should be a mod.

That's all I think.

maybe njccmd2002 also.

Time to pass the torch.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 26, 2013 - 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Nov 26, 2013 - 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE (Keiri @ Nov 27, 2013 - 6:50 AM) *
Agreed on both counts.

Oh you guise!

I'd like to see a subforum in the Meet forum for regions- IE Northeast, South, Midwest, West coast, etc. but I know that's asking for a lot. On other forums the rules are pretty lax and members can discuss meets, shows, buying/selling locally, and other regional topics.
H8TRAIN
I'm new to the site but I've searched it for a long time.

My suggestion would be to consolidate the forums to enhance traffic.

My Project <--- Just as it is. It has a nice amount of traffic and users like it.
Engine & Drivetrain <-- (Turbo/atmo, swaps, routine maintenance, transmission & axles all here)
Body & Chassis <-- (Exterior styling, interior, Suspension, bodyshell, stereos, etc)
For Sale & Wanted <--- As is.
General & Off-Topic <--- (A lounge-like forum. With no "today i..." masterthread.)

This merging of forums is what I would like to see. Allow me to illustrate how I think this could improve the forum. Consider please the currently seperate NA Engine and Forced Induction forums. The amount of activity is not enough between them to float two separate forums. Meanwhile, there's really nothing that a turbo user should know that an na user should not, and vice-versa. Syaoran has a thread in forced induction about engine balancing and it is very interesting. This thread is relevant to anyone with an engine, period. Even information about blow off valve problems can be enlightening to a non-turbo user. I would also suggest that there should be tolerance for neophytes to have "silly and pointless" arguments such as "Okay seriously guys, turbo vs na whats better?" Most healthy forums have a bit of this for a reason. In this case combining forums would make one forum with "More Bloodflow to it's Brain".
Box
I'm OCD and like things separated, if you saw me at Thanksgiving lunch you'd understand. tongue.gif NOTHING CAN TOUCH.
njccmd2002
then how do yo have ... nevermind......

whatever changes we get, it would be for the best.
Box
I only have issues with things that aren't supposed to be touching. Like cranberries or yams touching the turkey, it's a very complicated process.
Zake
Richee3 should be a mod.

That's all I think.

maybe njccmd2002 also.

Time to pass the torch.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 26, 2013 - 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Nov 26, 2013 - 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE (Keiri @ Nov 27, 2013 - 6:50 AM) *
Agreed on both counts.

I am Zake and I approve these messages.
Coomer
QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 26, 2013 - 2:19 PM) *
I know other forums accept contributions to keep the site going and keep ads to a minimum and in exchange for a contribution, members get added storage space for pictures or other small things. I'd be up for contributing to keeping things going around here.

I'm working on this, and a start is here: http://www.6gc.net/about/contribute

Anything and everything is appreciated! I don't have any advantages setup for donations yet, but perhaps in the future. And since almost everyone shops on Amazon these days, if you shop by first using the links on that page, then Amazon pays me a little percentage and it helps out run the site, make necessary and long-overdue improvements, develop new stuff, etc. smile.gif

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 26, 2013 - 2:19 PM) *
This would probably be too much work but I would also like to see a subforum, maybe in Off Topic, for Other Vehicles. A place for project threads or just to showcase the other cars that we all have.

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Nov 26, 2013 - 2:46 PM) *
X2 on the other cars thread in off topic
That's been in my head for awhile.

It's actually a very easy thing to do, the community as a whole just needs to come to some decisions on what exact forum merges/subforums/addtions/etc. are needed.

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Nov 26, 2013 - 2:57 PM) *
Oh an some new mods!!
You an Manny try your best but can only do so much
Like maybe 3-4 new mods would be good too

Definitely working on it. This will be happening very soon.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 26, 2013 - 3:23 PM) *
Really we just need bot control, changing it to where new members first few posts have to be approved would put an end to it.

This is my first priority, and I've been working on it for a couple days and will be working on it more today, hopefully finishing it up tomorrow.

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 26, 2013 - 5:32 PM) *
a way that new threads don't get created by newbs unless they've already searched the forum for the answer. the search button on top right hand of screen isn't the best. google does a better job at this...

we repeat our answers over and over again. i usually never reply anymore cause it just gets tiring.

a more advanced chat!! haha

This would be very time consuming, but improved search might be in the works later on. There's a lot that needs to be done before that though.

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Nov 26, 2013 - 8:26 PM) *
Richee3 should be a mod.

That's all I think.

maybe njccmd2002 also.

Time to pass the torch.

Definitely working on mods.

QUOTE (playr158 @ Nov 27, 2013 - 6:00 AM) *

Also working on getting admin access setup. The unfortunate thing is that the out-of-the box admin stuff on the forums doesn't work because of the way that the database and codebase and site integration has changed over the years. So it's a fair amount of work, but there will definitely be better controls at least on a few things soon.

QUOTE (The_enD @ Nov 27, 2013 - 7:25 AM) *
QUOTE (The_enD @ Jul 6, 2013 - 1:47 AM) *
There should be some indication that people are in the chat, you can hardly catch anyone.

ex:

I agree that that would nice, but it's a fair amount of work at this point, especially because the chat was built in a language I never quite understood (hence the unfortunate crashes and limited features frown.gif ) and still do not understand. But if I have time after the more important stuff is done, I'll see what I can do about adding this or perhaps changing the chat up entirely to something that works much better.

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Nov 27, 2013 - 2:36 PM) *
embedded videos.

What's everyone's thought on this? I actually can't stand embedded videos on most sites because they're slow, particularly on phones, but also on my computer. I still build everything on an old under-powered computer because: 1. Computers are expensive. and 2. If a site is fast for me, it's also typically fast on most phones and super fast on most new computers. And I love fast websites.

Furthermore, I ESPECIALLY hate embedded videos that auto-play on one of twenty tabs I have open, forcing me to frantically search every tab for the culprit.

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 27, 2013 - 5:23 PM) *
and sure, break the f/s section in 2...

oh and the signature too, make it bigger...

Perhaps, though bigger signatures I'm against for the same reasons I am with embedded videos. But if everyone but me wants it, then I can make it happen. I just don't want the site to slow down. Also, bigger signatures are tougher on the servers, and that can potentially make everything slow.

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 27, 2013 - 7:04 PM) *
I'd like to see a subforum in the Meet forum for regions- IE Northeast, South, Midwest, West coast, etc. but I know that's asking for a lot. On other forums the rules are pretty lax and members can discuss meets, shows, buying/selling locally, and other regional topics.

How's everyone feel about this? I've also found the lax rules (with more new moderators to keep things even better in check) can be nice for the local buying/selling, etc on various forums. Again, we'll have to come up with a good combination of forum/subforum changes that everyone likes.

QUOTE (H8TRAIN @ Nov 28, 2013 - 10:36 AM) *
I'm new to the site but I've searched it for a long time.

My suggestion would be to consolidate the forums to enhance traffic.

My Project <--- Just as it is. It has a nice amount of traffic and users like it.
Engine & Drivetrain <-- (Turbo/atmo, swaps, routine maintenance, transmission & axles all here)
Body & Chassis <-- (Exterior styling, interior, Suspension, bodyshell, stereos, etc)
For Sale & Wanted <--- As is.
General & Off-Topic <--- (A lounge-like forum. With no "today i..." masterthread.)

This merging of forums is what I would like to see. Allow me to illustrate how I think this could improve the forum. Consider please the currently seperate NA Engine and Forced Induction forums. The amount of activity is not enough between them to float two separate forums. Meanwhile, there's really nothing that a turbo user should know that an na user should not, and vice-versa. Syaoran has a thread in forced induction about engine balancing and it is very interesting. This thread is relevant to anyone with an engine, period. Even information about blow off valve problems can be enlightening to a non-turbo user. I would also suggest that there should be tolerance for neophytes to have "silly and pointless" arguments such as "Okay seriously guys, turbo vs na whats better?" Most healthy forums have a bit of this for a reason. In this case combining forums would make one forum with "More Bloodflow to it's Brain".

Again, what's everyone think. And how should we come to a consensus.

I have to say, it feels good to be finally beginning to work on my own projects like 6GC again. I've been neglecting everything, getting caught up with work and injuries and other issues, but it's all getting better! smile.gif Now that I've got a couple sites with good traffic and good community, a lot less stress, good health, and some spare time, I'm hoping to be able to continue working on them full-time. smile.gif
Box
Embedded videos that didn't automatically play would be ok.

I think the forum layout is fine as it is, though dividing things never hurts. I'm a meticulous person, so I like things divided neatly. Merging on the other hand, just makes a mess of things. As far as getting more traffic into certain areas, anything new shows up with the "view new posts" link at the top. So anyone that's interested will see it anyway through that.

Bigger signatures would be nice, I'd imagine most people have halfway capable computers. Mine is almost seven years old and is still fine with anything outside of new games.

Glad to hear things are getting better for you. Hopefully you can drop in once in awhile, pick up a 6GC project *cough* or what have you.
richee3
Contributed.

I'm actually against the embedded videos... I have my reasons, no need to air them out, but I kinda like the videos as they are.
Box
How do we do the contribution thing with Amazon?
njccmd2002
no, no embedded videos, it crashes sites!!! we dont need that.
Box
Meh, I personally don't find it much more work to click on a hyperlink. I rather have bigger signatures over embedded videos.
BonzaiCelica
No embedded videos!! not sure if this would be admin only. but sometimes we double post. perhaps you can make it so website can recognize it that way admin or mods don't have to do double work. sometimes members create two of the same threads in one sub forum. perhaps deleting one!? i have no clue what takes to run a forum. but just trying to minimize clutter on the site.

ha quite amazing to see the original admin coming back on to work on his old website

and finally just as everyone has wanted to help now that the time has come(donations)
Box
Other boards allow members to delete their posts within a few minutes of it being posted. Just for such instances, or perhaps you just change your mind.
njccmd2002
i just made a purchase using the amazon tool. GL.
Box
Ah well damn... Ad Blocker was keeping me from seeing the Amazon tool...
Coomer
QUOTE (Box @ Dec 2, 2013 - 3:38 PM) *
Glad to hear things are getting better for you. Hopefully you can drop in once in awhile, pick up a 6GC project *cough* or what have you.

Thanks! I actually have a new Toyota project/commuter, I'll post in O/T once I have some time to snap some pics. smile.gif

QUOTE (richee3 @ Dec 2, 2013 - 4:25 PM) *
Contributed.

Thank you! smile.gif

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 3, 2013 - 2:55 PM) *
Other boards allow members to delete their posts within a few minutes of it being posted. Just for such instances, or perhaps you just change your mind.

I'll look into this and see how difficult it would be.

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Dec 3, 2013 - 5:06 PM) *
i just made a purchase using the amazon tool. GL.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 3, 2013 - 5:23 PM) *
Ah well damn... Ad Blocker was keeping me from seeing the Amazon tool...

Ah yes, I forget about Adblock. I'll see if I can also get a more normal link up there that will work.

And FYI, the site will be down for hopefully less than an hour tonight, starting at 11pm Pacific Time. I'm making backups and preparing a better development environment so that I can more easily and reliably work on the site.
playr158
I know we're all busy with life and growing up ect..

So just want to say thanks for the continued investment in the site thumbsup.gif
cheela
Just wondering if anything can be done to the profile comments.
like a notification when you get a new one or a notification when someone replies to one of yours.

I looked at my profile after the longest time and missed a couple questions from some members.
The_enD
QUOTE (cheela @ Dec 11, 2013 - 5:47 PM) *
like a notification when you get a new one or a notification when someone replies to one of yours.

I looked at my profile after the longest time and missed a couple questions from some members.

That would be pretty nice.
Even a list of post you've made on others profiles would be acceptable.
Rusty
This used to happen, I think with a previous update it was lost.
jbod
I need more space for the rides profile lol. It only allows 5 cars! what if your at 9 st205's?
thumbsup.gif
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (cheela @ Dec 11, 2013 - 7:47 AM) *

+1, that'll save me time from clicking each subject and looking for that black dot. Only to find it wasn't a comment replied to yours but to another member. Lol.
Tigawoods
Christmas shopping through the amazon link!
The_enD
Can I has a bigger PM folder? tongue.gif
Batman722
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Dec 16, 2013 - 11:39 AM) *

I can't find the link.
Hook me up
richee3
It's buried under the contribution link.

http://www.6gc.net/about/contribute
cheela
whoa! didn't even notice that. Definitely gonna start using that to buy stuff off Amazon.
Coomer
QUOTE (playr158 @ Dec 4, 2013 - 8:17 PM) *
I know we're all busy with life and growing up ect..

So just want to say thanks for the continued investment in the site thumbsup.gif

You're welcome! It's good to be back around again!

QUOTE (cheela @ Dec 11, 2013 - 7:47 AM) *

I'll see what I can do here. This should be a pretty easy fix.

QUOTE (jbod @ Dec 15, 2013 - 12:39 AM) *
I need more space for the rides profile lol. It only allows 5 cars! what if your at 9 st205's?
thumbsup.gif

Didn't expect that, but I can fix this too. Also an easy fix I can get to tomorrow. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Dec 16, 2013 - 7:39 AM) *

Thanks!

QUOTE (The_enD @ Jan 3, 2014 - 11:23 AM) *
Can I has a bigger PM folder? tongue.gif

I can probably make this happen soon. There's no reason really why it has to be so low, text takes up very little space.

QUOTE (cheela @ Jan 3, 2014 - 7:34 PM) *
whoa! didn't even notice that. Definitely gonna start using that to buy stuff off Amazon.

Thanks!

Later today and tomorrow I'll be working on some stuff. Getting back into the swing of things again after a relaxing holiday vacation! biggrin.gif
Nihil
Not sure if I'm just unable to find it, but are we really missing the option to change the password?

I'm doing some password encryption on all my accounts and I'd like to be able to do it here as well.
The_enD
My Controls (top right) , Change password (bottom left)

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=28
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.