Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3sge leak down test
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mi645
Hello everyone I had a few questions, on my 3d gen 3sge I performed a leak down test and I had some bad results on a few cylinders, compression was not bad, but leak down was leaking in the intake, does this motor burn valves? I'm pretty sure the valves aren't bent. I was wondering if this engine requires valve adjustment from time to time? Because the engine is in pretty good shape physically and it was not leaking, I'm just curious if anyone had an issue of this b4?
lagos
I had the same problem, and it turned out that I was doing the leak down test wrong. Here are some tips:

1. Make sure you are at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke, and not the exhaust stroke. Best way to do this is to set piston 1 up to TDC, take off the distributor cap, and make sure that the distributor rotor is pointing to piston no1. If its not, then rotate it again until it does.

2. This is the biggest tip that no one will tell you... PUT THE CAR IN GEAR. This was my mistake when I did mine. What I didn't realize was that shop air actually creates enough pressure to slightly rotate the engine and push the piston down. This would cause the valves to open and I could hear lots of air rushing out. Putting the car in gear locks things into place and prevents this from happening.

If you're still having issues, just do a compression test. A compression test will tell you if there is a problem, and a leakdown test will tell you where that problems is. If you pass the compression test, then you should also be passing the leakdown.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.