Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Baffled mufflers
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
PegGTS
Anybody know of any good baffled mufflers? Where I live you are required to have a baffled muffler, no straight through mufflers kindasad.gif Just wondering if there are any good baffled mufflers out there that anybody knows of? I've been looking at Magnaflow and curious if anybody has used the XL series? I don't want something too quiet either. Something nice and deep sounding. Or should I just go illegal and get a regular Magnaflow? tongue.gif
Bitter
Flowmaster?
blockustomz
Apexi WS 2 is a good one.. only loud in high rpms.. looks stock but with a nice tip..
Box
On a 4-cylinder you really want a baffled muffler anyway, unless you like to be annoying and sound like a bumble bee. If I ever do my exhaust I'll use the Magnaflow XL.
Syaoran
HKS Silent Hi-power, the helmholtz resonator on those really works.

Remember to always use a resonator if you want a good sounding exhaust. Most people just expect a muffler to work by itself.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (blockustomz @ Dec 26, 2013 - 7:53 PM) *
Apexi WS 2 is a good one.. only loud in high rpms.. looks stock but with a nice tip..

Just like how mine is. Its quiet enough to where you'll think it came stock. Lol. It'll be loud only if you floor it.

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Dec 26, 2013 - 9:32 PM) *

Remember to always use a resonator if you want a good sounding exhaust. Most people just expect a muffler to work by itself.

Mine sounded ok with just the stock cat. All I had was the magnaflow 14829 2.25" piping catback. Pretty much perfect imo. As long as you don't get a canister type muffler you shouldn't really need a resonator.
PegGTS
QUOTE (blockustomz @ Dec 26, 2013 - 9:53 PM) *

I was looking at the Apexis but wasn't sure if they were baffled or not. I want to be sure because the cops will stick their baton inside the muffler to see if it has baffles. kindasad.gif

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 26, 2013 - 10:53 PM) *
On a 4-cylinder you really want a baffled muffler anyway, unless you like to be annoying and sound like a bumble bee. If I ever do my exhaust I'll use the Magnaflow XL.

I heard the XL was pretty quiet. I want something loud enough that you can notice it's not stock but not outrageously bumblebee loud tongue.gif

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Dec 26, 2013 - 11:32 PM) *

Yeah I'm probably going to get a Vibrant resonator along with it and take it all to a shop and get 2.25 inch piping.
jordisonjr
QUOTE (blockustomz @ Dec 26, 2013 - 11:53 PM) *

I thought the world sport 2's were discontinued?
PegGTS
QUOTE (jordisonjr @ Dec 27, 2013 - 9:14 AM) *
QUOTE (blockustomz @ Dec 26, 2013 - 11:53 PM) *

I thought the world sport 2's were discontinued?

Don't think so. Are you thinking of the Greddy SP2?
jordisonjr
Ahh that could be
blockustomz
QUOTE (PegGTS @ Dec 27, 2013 - 3:27 AM) *
I was looking at the Apexis but wasn't sure if they were baffled or not. I want to be sure because the cops will stick their baton inside the muffler to see if it has baffles. kindasad.gif

Yes they are baffled.. and cops will not bother you with that exhaust trust me..lol for me it wasn't loud anuff so i got rid of it.

I like the loud fart cans on my hondas atleast =D
PegGTS
QUOTE (blockustomz @ Dec 27, 2013 - 9:11 PM) *
QUOTE (PegGTS @ Dec 27, 2013 - 3:27 AM) *

Yes they are baffled.. and cops will not bother you with that exhaust trust me..lol for me it wasn't loud anuff so i got rid of it.

I like the loud fart cans on my hondas atleast =D

Haha but it was definitely noticeable right? That's all I really want
Box
Thing is though the baffles do more than just reduce volume, they cut out harsh frequencies as well which 4-cylinders desperately need. They make the Magnaflow XL in a variety of lengths, the shorter it is the louder it'll be. After that I'd look at changing the resonator or removing it completely. It's why I haven't bothered with mine, it's a delicate process if you care about what the exhaust sounds like. At the end of the day it's your car, so go with what you like.
PegGTS
Anybody know if any of the Vibrant mufflers are baffled?
jordisonjr
In winnipeg, in terms of safety, cop-wise, as long as you have a muffler that the cops cant completely stick their batton right up, you'll be fine. I've been running some crappy canadian tire fart can (yes, i know, shame on me. We were all 16 once) and i haven't had any issues with it, and it is a striaght through design, but its relatively quiet and doesn't draw attention. But now if I got pulled over i would probably be a issue.

Hopefully that helps a bit in determining the type of muffler to go with, in terms of not getting a ticket.
Bitter
QUOTE (Box @ Dec 26, 2013 - 10:53 PM) *

That's not entirely true, straight through mufflers don't have to have the buzzing tone to them. The buzzing is typically due to using an undersized muffler with no resonator in the system. Using the correctly sized muffler with matched resonator and it'll sound just fine. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.