Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding a supercharger to 3sgte
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
TwistedCeli94
Hey there guys its been awhile...everything's been going great with my build and she still runs like a top. With Ben upgrading his cams and turbo, I've been thinking a lot about an idea That popped in my mind long ago...

Now I know that twin turbos on the 3sgte is pretty useless. But what about adding a supercharger to spool the turbo? I myself have no idea if this will work and the only reason I'm entertaining this idea is because Ben and Brian didnt just shove it off when I asked them about it, which makes me think it might be doable and somewhat worth it?

If there's no way in hell this could happen lemme hear it...but I'm pretty sure Alex still has his old SC layin around and I would hate for that to go to waste. What's up guys am I just dreaming?
lagos
With modern turbo technology being what it is, there is really no reason why you can't have fast spool and big power. There is no need to add anything on top of that to help with spool. Just buy the right turbo for your application. That's all there is to it.
H8TRAIN
The finished product would primarily be a curiosity. That is to say, it would not have a significant performance advantage over a build that had only a turbo or a supercharger and the same amount of effort. It would just be really neat. If you just want better turbo response there are many ways. A stroker block for instance would be cheaper and easier than adding a supercharger to the turbo engine.

edit VVV is Smaay threatening to twin charge down here?? VVV idk! =o
Smaay
I have a few trick up my sleeve. Anything is possible with enough money
chacha
i would like to see a twin-charged 3sgte
playr158
insta torque with top end is always fun smile.gif

SwissFerdi
I could see this being wonderful with the steady traction of AWD, almost the perfect combination - engine always giving power, wheels always able to put it down. I may be salivating...

Smaay
like i said, i have something in the works
Bitter
QUOTE (Smaay @ Jan 1, 2014 - 11:14 PM) *
like i said, i have something in the works

Copying Frank's 2ZZ?
Smaay
considering something like that, i dont want to divulge too much in case it never happens
al94st
QUOTE (TwistedCeli94 @ Dec 30, 2013 - 10:58 PM) *
Hey there guys its been awhile...everything's been going great with my build and she still runs like a top. With Ben upgrading his cams and turbo, I've been thinking a lot about an idea That popped in my mind long ago...

Now I know that twin turbos on the 3sgte is pretty useless. But what about adding a supercharger to spool the turbo? I myself have no idea if this will work and the only reason I'm entertaining this idea is because Ben and Brian didnt just shove it off when I asked them about it, which makes me think it might be doable and somewhat worth it?

If there's no way in hell this could happen lemme hear it...but I'm pretty sure Alex still has his old SC layin around and I would hate for that to go to waste. What's up guys am I just dreaming?

It can be done with the V-5 that Alex has, but not in the manner you are thinking. The V-5 can flow way more air than your stock turbo (750cfm @ 14psi), so you wouldn't want to feed the turbo with that supercharger. The problem I had with the 7a is that the supercharger was too big for that engine, but it still made decent power once it was making enough boost to overcome spinning the supercharger. You'd be better off feeding the supercharger with the turbo or having a combined system with a valve that switches between the two once one flows more than the other, but I don't think that setup would be worth the time or effort.

If I was going to do it I'd run the turbo into an intercooler into the S/C then back through an intercooler to the engine and add water/meth. If that didn't work so great I'd work on the combined piping system. Also remember that a centrifugal supercharger is not going to give you instant boost, it has to "spool up" with engine speed. Boost with a centrifugal is pretty linear to RPM's. If you decide to get the supercharger from Alex, let me know and I'll be happy to help out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.