Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1996 AE ST
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Batman722
Stef and I picked up a 1996 Anniversary Edition ST with for cheap with a blown motor, 161,644 miles on the chassis.
The car was owned by a college kid that didn't know what oil was.
They put some $ into the car earlier in the year with new struts, a new exhaust, new fuel filler neck, and had the car painted after a few fender benders.
Overall the car has some dings but it's not bad.

We've had Stef's rebuilt 7a sitting in the garage since we put the 3s into her Celica so this was the perfect opportunity.

The day we got it (the guy towed it to our house)

Step 1 pull the motor that night

15 min later...

and the hole in the block (Stef says WOW !)

the new motor

and in the car

We replaced the clutch, a few interior pieces, put in an alarm, and swapped all the seats, and we got a few parts from Cameron (ted95) and Mike (mkernz22) - Thanks !

Stef repaired the door

before

after

and the finished product. We gave it a shine and some snow tires for the winter.

There were so many things dirty, neglected, and just hacked.
The interior is now perfect and cleaned up.
Runs and drives great. It's hellaslow but 38 mpg is a nice surprise.
richee3
What are the future plans?
Box
Went and replaced the 14" alloys, what's wrong with you? tongue.gif That's the first I've seen a set aside from mine.
Smaay
congrats on the find!!!! Isnt it nice when you can find a bucket and have the knowledge to fix it up
njccmd2002
amazing... that quick... but its nice to have spare engines in the basement...
playr158
aaah 96 STs.....brings a tear to my eye.......mostly #becauseHellaSLOW
cheela
You guys make it look way too easy. biggrin.gif
Ted95
Cars looking good guys! The wheels are a nice touch to the car too wink.gif
hurley97
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 2, 2014 - 12:46 AM) *
What are the future plans?

Refirb the 14" wheels a little and put snows on them, get all season tires for Cameron's old 15" alloys that are on it now. That's it.
enderswift
lol 15 min later. I hope to get to that level one day
Batman722
HUGE UPDATE

We installed stock 96+ fogs w/the stalk (a few weeks ago) and swapped the ST front breaks for GT fronts today.
hurley97
(Only cause the st right front caliper was leaking and all we have for spare parts is gt stuff)
Ted95
Great update! The bonus of having a mini dealership in your garage lol endless parts
Batman722
Poly bushing in the front

oooo rear disks ! GT brakes completed.

njccmd2002
Nice. Did u use the sleeves for the arms? This is in the next to do list....
Batman722
The thin sleeves I didn't use. The old ones were all rusted up and destroyed. Some people call them "crash tubes" also.
I was going to replace them the first time I did the front bushings but realized they're useless, haven't used them in any of the cars.
njccmd2002
yeah, i ordered them, but hate to drop the frame, as i read in other posts. looking good man...
richee3
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Apr 29, 2014 - 7:48 PM) *
yeah, i ordered them, but hate to drop the frame, as i read in other posts. looking good man...

You won't have to drop the subframe with no engine in the bay. One bolt hits the BEAMS oil pan which requires the subframe to be lowered.
Batman722
Or engine lifted a little (pass side front to back bolt).
njccmd2002
hmm, thanks ill do it before the engine goes in... lets not rape this thread with hijack, lol
richee3
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Apr 29, 2014 - 9:50 PM) *
hmm, thanks ill do it before the engine goes in... lets not rape this thread with hijack, lol

That's alright, I know a guy. wink.gif

What are you going to lower this car on? Any other future plans?
njccmd2002
QUOTE (richee3 @ Apr 29, 2014 - 10:14 PM) *
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Apr 29, 2014 - 9:50 PM) *

That's alright, I know a guy. wink.gif

What are you going to lower this car on? Any other future plans?

who me, this not my car or my thread, lol
Batman722
rear strut bar w/covers
Bad pics.

Get your own threads ! lol

Lower eventually, probably trd springs, keep stock wheels w/spacers.
cheela
yeah probably TRD springs right? wink.gif
njccmd2002
needs a trd vacuum
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.