Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TE1 and E1 Jump Not Working
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
6G96GT
I placed a paperclip firmly into the E1 and TE1 ports of my 96 celica and then turned the key on without starting the engine. The CEL just stays on but does nothing...no flashes or anything.
I have double checked to make sure the paperclip is in E1 and TE1 firmly.
Any ideas why this is not working?
richee3
'96 is OBDII. You'll need to go to an auto parts store like Autozone and have them hook your car up to a scanner to pull the code.
6G96GT
Oh, that sucks then. She won't start. Thanks for your reply though.
richee3
What is it doing? Does it act like it's trying to catch or does it turn over quickly like it has no compression?
6G96GT
It was hesitating bad on the highway yesterday and barely made it home. Died a couple times at stops. This morning I fired it up and it died immediately. Did that twice. Then I figured I give it gas when I fired it up and that should at least keep it running. Didn't work, it seems like it's not getting fuel.
VavAlephVav
it may seem too obvious, but I'd always check the ignition stuff like plugs/wires/cap/rotor, and the fuel filter First.
unless you know those things have been replaced recently,
or maybe even some bad gas.

but I'd rule those things out first before you start changing anything expensive
type_r
`96 celica is obd1, and bridged e1 and te1 must operate, unless blown EFI fuse, or broken cable in the installation...
richee3
QUOTE (type_r @ Feb 2, 2014 - 11:43 AM) *
`96 celica is obd1, and bridged e1 and te1 must operate, unless blown EFI fuse, or broken cable in the installation...

US laws required all vehicles to switch to OBDII
so Toyota started making Celicas OBDII in 1996. I'm not sure about other countries making the switch but 1996 model USDM Celicas are OBDII.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 2, 2014 - 8:52 AM) *
'96 is OBDII. You'll need to go to an auto parts store like Autozone and have them hook your car up to a scanner to pull the code.

I dont know about other states but they dont allow Auto stores to do that anymore here in Cali. That's why I had to buy mine. You should just buy one. It comes in handy most of the time. Its a nice tool to have for you obdii car.
Smaay
you are supposed to jumper those pins with the engine already running. but like mentioned since you are ODBII you need a scan tool
Bitter
QUOTE (Smaay @ Feb 2, 2014 - 5:13 PM) *
you are supposed to jumper those pins with the engine already running. but like mentioned since you are ODBII you need a scan tool

No, you don't need the engine running if you have OBD1 to get codes. You start the engine with them jumped to set the computer to base idle and base timing to adjust the position of the distributor for timing adjustment. Key on, engine off is sufficient to pull codes. There are many other functions of the diag port that few know such as reading fuel trims and accessing various sensors directly.
For example, Te2 and E2 will put it into 'test mode' which allows single trip fault detection logic instead of two trip which can be useful for diagnosing intermittent faults or problems which only occur during very specific circumstances or at a certain temperature.
http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/Toy...ic_pinout.shtml
Not all of these apply to the 6th gen obviously.
VavAlephVav
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Feb 2, 2014 - 5:42 PM) *
QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 2, 2014 - 8:52 AM) *

I dont know about other states but they dont allow Auto stores to do that anymore here in Cali. That's why I had to buy mine. You should just buy one. It comes in handy most of the time. Its a nice tool to have for you obdii car.

man Cali is F'd up, it's like their just trying to force people to spend more money. - you can't use Sharkbite plumbing fittings either. my Mom's water pipes busted and it took me longer to cut open the sheetrock then it did to put a sharkbite slip coupling on there, the dude who created these is a genius
Kev6GCTH
I'm not sure for USDM system, but for JDM's OBD-II like BEAMS.

You can short E1&Tc to get error code from CEL flashing.
Smaay
QUOTE (Bitter @ Feb 2, 2014 - 3:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Smaay @ Feb 2, 2014 - 5:13 PM) *

No, you don't need the engine running if you have OBD1 to get codes. You start the engine with them jumped to set the computer to base idle and base timing to adjust the position of the distributor for timing adjustment. Key on, engine off is sufficient to pull codes. There are many other functions of the diag port that few know such as reading fuel trims and accessing various sensors directly.
For example, Te2 and E2 will put it into 'test mode' which allows single trip fault detection logic instead of two trip which can be useful for diagnosing intermittent faults or problems which only occur during very specific circumstances or at a certain temperature.
http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/Toy...ic_pinout.shtml
Not all of these apply to the 6th gen obviously.

yep you are correct. I missed what the OP was trying to do
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.