Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5sfte vs 3sgte
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
yfn16
So I've been thinking. I'm about to tear down my current 5s motor again. Up till now, I've just been planning on keeping the block and head the same... But I've been tempted to give into peer pressure and go ahead with swapping some parts around. So here's my question:

5sfe block with 3sgte head vs. complete 3sgte motor

Which is the winner in your opinion? Any pros and cons of going one way or the other?

As always... -thanks
Rusty
no such thing as a factory 3S-fte head, the fe head doesn't give you extra power. for that you need a ge/gte head a 3rd gen 3s-ge head will give you more than a 3rd gen 3s-gte head.

Refer to one of the latest podcasts as it discusses the idea of 5sgte vs swapping 3sgte.
yfn16
Yeah. That was a typo. thanks

QUOTE (Rusty @ Feb 6, 2014 - 2:14 PM) *
no such thing as a factory 3S-fte head, the fe head doesn't give you extra power. for that you need a ge/gte head a 3rd gen 3s-ge head will give you more than a 3rd gen 3s-gte head.

Refer to one of the latest podcasts as it discusses the idea of 5sgte vs swapping 3sgte.

What podcasts are you referring to? confused.gif
yfn16
Anyone have written info or links I can read? I've been listening to the pods and haven't found it yet. I'll keep listening though
match220
QUOTE (Rusty @ Feb 6, 2014 - 9:14 AM) *

Rusty do you have more details on how a "3sge head will give you more than a 3sgte head"? The reason I'm asking is I'm running a 3sge head with stock turbo cams/springs. (machine shop killed my head and bought me a 3sge head). Are you talking about a stock 3sge head with stock internals? I know the stock 3sge intake cam has a longer duration, but I think a smaller lift, or vice versa..I don't remember. And springs compress at 40psi while turbo springs compress at 80 psi (I tested this).
Smaay
something I have learned in my quest for a good engine combination. if you want to use a 3S-GTE head, you need to use the 3S-GTE distributor and thus need the ECU. the diameter of the distributors are quite different between the 5S and 3S.

im looking at building a 5S block with 3S-GTE head and use all 3S electronics. im considering dropping this engine in my All-Trac in a FWD configuration to test it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.