Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, need new engine or rebuild
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
belizecelica
Ok guys, i bought a 95 ST for a steal, or so i thought. After a while it began to smoke and burn oil severely. I would have to fill a quart a day. So, i took it to my mechanic and he told me that the piston rings, valve seals were completely shot and there was a crack that is leaking oil into the engine. Sooo, i either have to rebuild the engine, or swap it with a new one. If i am going to swap it, the delema is should i buy a used 7A-FE to make the swap easy, or go to a 5S-FE?? Basically I need some advce on what engine to put in there that would be the most cost effective swap ( I am willing to spend $1500 max) and what would give me the most power? Would I have to change the trans if i swap it with a 5SFE???
Please give me some advice guys.
Jabberwock
Well, only 1500....putting in a 5SFE would be more costly then a 7AFE because you will need a 5SFE tranny, motor mounts, axles....and basically the whole front clip with ecu and wiring.

But if you do a rebuild you can just rebuild and thats it, and when you do rebuild you can spend a little extra for stronger internals.

Or if you want, I can sell you my engine and manual tranny for cheap, but shipping would be a pain. wink.gif
Hym3n
From what I've read, you can likely rebuild it/fix your current engine's problems and probably clean it out a bit for your $1.5k cap. Swapping to a 5S-FE is going to be pretty difficult, and not really worth it because you could swap to something like a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE for a lot less work--similar something or another makes it easier to swap those two in, however, there hasn't been much luck with either on these boards.

-Brian
FallenHero
I wonder why east coasters want engines, and west coasters sell them...

just re-build your engine. you'll be better off in the end. (and get forged pistons.)
Digndoug
hey, how many miles do you have??
macavely
if i was you i would just rebuild the engine if your not going to do it your self take it to a good shop..

and another thing miles arean't a good way to find out how good of in shape and engine is... they only real way it to run a full inspection on any engine.. cause an in engine with 200k miles one it could be in a hell of alot better condition then an engine with 10kmiles
belizecelica
Thanks for the advice, i found a 7AFE engine from a 97 corolla for $500.00 it has 30,000 miles on it, so i think it would be easier and cheaper to swap it if it is possible to fit in my car. I have another question...can i get some cash for the old engine core?? that would be sweet. what do you guys think??
aaronc222
Not sure about cash for the old engine, but if you're looking for more performance, try to find a 4AGZE. It's supercharged with a decent amount of aftermarket support, and you should be able to find one for less than a grand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.