Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: im officially lost (possible distributor or ignition relay issue)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Wraithner1
frown.gif so a month ago i busted the drivers side trans axle. got that replaced. than that same day i noticed that my battery wasn't holding a charge so i took to advanced auto my battery tested good but my alternator came back as having a open diode or something of the sort. in short it was draining the battery so it would be dead 30 to 40 min after the car was shut off. my car sat for a week till i had the new alternator. got it in and everything was ok it seemed to not wanna turn over so later that night discovered that my starter had went out. so my car say another two weeks than i got a new starter. went to pop start it earlier this evening and nothing it wouldn't do a thing and the battery was dead so i had a friend come over and charged that battery than hooked my celica to his jeep to give me a pull hoping it would start so i could drive it over to his house and we would fix it in the morning but needless to say it was a epic failure. we ended up checkin the battery, that alternator all that and as we listened we noticed that if i turned the kep to accessory or even to start whether i was trying to crank it over or not the distributor was running non stop and when my friend was checking the wires he got shocked pretty good. so im not exactly sure whats wrong but i figured id lay it out and ask for help. any info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance i just need to get this figured out before it drives me crazy
njccmd2002
You may have a short somewhere. Check all the wiring
Smaay
your description makes no sense. "distributor was running non stop" that is impossible.

Can you take a video to show everything that is happening?

Wraithner1
QUOTE (Smaay @ Jul 23, 2014 - 11:09 AM) *
your description makes no sense. "distributor was running non stop" that is impossible.

Can you take a video to show everything that is happening?

what i ment was that when i turn the key you can hear the starter spinning even when im not activly cranking it. current theory is theres a prob with the Ignition Control Module (ICM) but anyways ill try to get a video up as soon as i can . just gotta get my phone to charge and ill be golden
Wraithner1
so i replaced the icm and that got rid of the battery drain and the distributor spinning when the key was turned still not turning over so later im going to check all the fuses and relays and hope i find something. aldo bought new spark plugs, wires distributor cap and rotor. so i guess a little at a time
VavAlephVav
getting shocked could be because of bad plug wires, so you did good to change those.
Have you checked to see if the computer has recorded any diagnostic trouble codes?

and if when you said "distributor" you meant to say that the Starter was running non-stop (but if that were the case your starter would sure be dead by now), but maybe you have a problem in the starter relay or ignition switch.
Wraithner1
QUOTE (VavAlephVav @ Aug 20, 2014 - 9:13 PM) *
getting shocked could be because of bad plug wires, so you did good to change those.
Have you checked to see if the computer has recorded any diagnostic trouble codes?

and if when you said "distributor" you meant to say that the Starter was running non-stop (but if that were the case your starter would sure be dead by now), but maybe you have a problem in the starter relay or ignition switch.

im planning on changing spark plugs wires and the rest tomorrow or as soon as weather permits. but i ment the distributor. i turned the key to on after i charged the battery before i changed the icm and and i got out and listened to the distributor spinning. put the new icm and that stopped. switched the starter and efi relay just to see if maybe that was it and i could still hear the fuel pump kick on so idk but. ill gave to get a hold of my uncle and see if he has his obii scanner and go from there. ill try to keep this updated. thank you for the suggestions
VavAlephVav
Hmmm, mine is odb1 so I'm not sure, but on mine you can jump te1 to e1 in the diagnostic connector then turn on the key and count the flashes of the check engine light.
Unfortunately they don't have the service manual for the 96+ models on bgbonline.celicatech.com you might want to see if you can find a factory service manual on eBay that would be a big help for this kind of problem.
idk if you have an AutoZone nearby but you can rent scanners from them.
VavAlephVav
also I've found out that you can use your laptop with a usb to odb2 cable that costs $25 on ebay. you just need the totyota techstream software. which is easy to find if you know how to bittorent. search Toyota TIS
Wraithner1
well turns out part of the problem was that the ground on the passenger side of the engine that goes from behind the alternator to near the strut tower on that side was burned through i fixed it. and tried to jump the car and now it will crank but not catch... not sure what it is but im beginning to believe my cars infested with gremlins...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.