Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to swap a 2grfe V6 into a st204
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
njccmd2002
Will start an official thread, into this. wont go into detail. Will keep it mostly informative, because i know this will not be a favorite swap for most, and will be cost prohibitive for many.

Approximate cost of swap is around 7 to 8K, and will vary according of how far you want to go. mods and stuff

not going to get into detail about, a shopping list, or what not. there are multiple places you can get it, and it has been discussed before.

DSCN1196

the engine fits, and it barely makes it. will not fully disclose all that is being done, but will mos likely help anyone that wants to do this personally.

fitting the engine and mating the engine, can be found in the MR2OC forums, and i will not take credit for it.

Please lets not fill this thread with garbage. Its a 2grfe, because i wanted it, and if you dont like it, oh well, you are not paying for it, lol....

first things first, the engine needs to come from the bottom, it wont come from the top... it wont...

DSCN1202

DSCN1188

there are some body modifications, and will get into details later in the swap... I have my reasons.

the swap is doable. and like I said, im willing to help personally to any member, that will do it.

Will be a slow guide, because i decided to do it all myself, with no help. I feel like this is more personal....

Will include more stuff in the days to come...

DSCN1122

just consider the 2grfe, its worth it. all aluminum...
njccmd2002
It wont clear the regular hood, but it will clear a gt4 hood, with some modifications to be confirmed...

there is some tapping and drilling to be done to tranny, and engine.... (all is covered in MR2OC), and all credit goes to guoky...

DSCN1182

DSCN1186

and how the pros do it to mount their engines to the tranny. using headless bolts

DSCN1183
Smaay
if I recall, the 2GR bolts right up to the E153 with no drilling or mods. use ST205 mounts and you have 3 right off the bat.

Im surprised you cant get the engine installed from the top, I can pull the 3S-GTE and AWD trans out the top with no problem. and the 3MZ went in with no problems either.

I cant wait to see your finished product, ill never go the 2GR route unless an engine falls in my lap for free. im really happy with the 3MZ.
njccmd2002
The engine is easier to maneuver from bottom. Its bulky and it hits the frame several places. You have to disconnect a/c lines and ps lines. I have to cut the frame. And there is barely space for the regular rad fan. Its just to bulky. I dared not try and get it jammed.

I understand your point. Yes its expensive. And its not for everyone. By all means its not the best swap. But this is the last thing o do to my car and wanted to do something memorable. Lol, i still dont know if ill be able to clear the rack with the headers.
njccmd2002
ok few more bits of information...

you just cant go straight to make the engine mount. you need to have a temporary mount to give you an idea of what needs to be cut and addressed.. in the engine bay. i suggest like i said earlier to remove the power steering an lines, and the a/c lines, unless you want to run the risk of damage...

DSCN1290

not yet sure if there is enough space for guoky headers in the rear, they fit for the front..

DSCN1293

Smaay, the upper bolt needs to be tapped.. its smooth. and you have to grind the engine in certain areas to mate the transmission..

front bracket area

DSCN1187

rear bracket area

DSCN1181

oh and forgot, fan relays are no go, move them

DSCN1189
njccmd2002
oh and if youre going to be grinding, protecto engino

DSCN1179
richee3
Berto, you cray cray! Good progress with the 2GR so far. Very brave for tacking this swap in a Celica with virtually no support.
njccmd2002
Thanks, was hesitant to make a swap thread, but i said WTH...

anyways... here is why you shove this engine from the bottoms...

DSCN1296

this is the engine mounted, and on the temp mount...

but that is not a problem..

DSCN1302

obligatory swap picture...

DSCN1304

DSCN1305

and finished..

DSCN1306

i had to pull this engine 6 times up and down, up down to measure the cutting and notching the frame...

i had to notch for the head, and steering pump....

this is another angle from the crossmember.. you barely have clearance..

DSCN1294

and

DSCN1295

a stupid trick to line up the engine i learned...

DSCN1301

and once again, out, awaiting flywheel, and i will clean the transmission. its dirty...

DSCN1307

and while that is out, this may get refreshed..

DSCN1297

still lots to do, and so little time...
Box
Damn, that's a tight fit.

I can't wait to see it all buttoned up.
bloodMoney
Love this. Great work Berto!
enderswift
You are living our collective dream Berto. Awesome work
Bitter
kevin311
Glad you decided to make a thread. F*** the haters. The price tag on this deters me but I'm down for someone taking a crack at something new for the 6gc. I commend you though for doing this on your own. Can't wait to see and hear the end result. Nice work!
njccmd2002
thanks, no updates for now, except got the aluminum flywheel, and suspension parts, totaling 800 this month. so i fugured will wait next month, for more parts, and work with what i have. No rush to do this yet.
Smaay
keep up the good work and the updates
presure2
this thread is already so full of win, most people who see it wont even grasp how goddamn cool this is.
i cannot wait to see this car in person in a couple weeks!
sure, cost is thru the roof.
sure, gotta have balls big enough to modify the chassis to suit.
sure, this is gonna be the fu^king coolest v6 swap on this site by about 8 billion miles!

DOOO ITTTTT berto!!!!!!
richee3
Updates?
FORGMANN
I know many of you are think man this would be sweet turbo'ed and in a ST205
Wonder if you can use 4WD gearbox ? Below is your answer posted in July
Anyone from Russia or eastern Europe have any more details on swap?
i could not find any anywhere .. Those crazy Russians tuners
Do not post here if you do start a new thread .

Avensis (same chassis family as st246 Caldina and 1ST gen TC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkstuZACBQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQv-1zZq9w

Berto
Once you get running and then get power hungry again afterwards
i will have extra TRD S/C waiting as i now have 2 .. We all know 276 whp is never enough HP!!

njccmd2002
haha, yeah!. gonna have to chop some hood!!

ill put some work in it tomorrow and friday. this is really slow......

too many things in right now...
richee3
It doesn't seem to me like there's a lot left. You pretty much have the mounting figured out, and that's a huge chunk of the work. After that you'll be able to send your wiring out, order and assemble your axles, mount everything up and plug it in, figure out radiator hoses, and turn the key. Any time you need a hand with this you've got my number! I work for free. smile.gif
njccmd2002
Well technically. But im rebuilding susp. Steering, brakes , its a whole overhaul. Not just a swap.
njccmd2002
Well talking with other members and close friends. I wont continue progress thread. I will post end results only and answer questions. No sense in spending time posting, when there is no relly any interest in this swap. I will say i have 6k invested so far. Lol....

Tata...

I will be available for questions via pm.....
bloodMoney
Measure EVERYTHING. You know I'm going to have lots of questions when the time comes for me.
4-eyed-freek
I got all excited to watch this build and instantly c@*k blocked! biggrin.gif

congrats on the great work, cant wait to see this finished up!
richee3
frown.gif
njccmd2002
QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 19, 2014 - 11:42 AM) *
frown.gif

QUOTE (4-eyed-freek @ Sep 19, 2014 - 11:19 AM) *
I got all excited to watch this build and instantly c@*k blocked! biggrin.gif

congrats on the great work, cant wait to see this finished up!

thanks guys, its not that i dont care. its just so sad to talk to yourself. I will post major accomplishments, i just wont go and post, hey i torqued this bolt.

i had to order a new mount, as the one i got (for free, and not complaining) was tweaked from the wreck, cannot fix it, tried. so that sets me back... but its ok...

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Sep 19, 2014 - 10:54 AM) *
Measure EVERYTHING. You know I'm going to have lots of questions when the time comes for me.

when you are ready ill loan you my temp mount.. it will make things easier...
cheela
but I wanted a bolt by bolt instruction for this. frown.gif
Box
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Sep 19, 2014 - 1:12 PM) *
thanks guys, its not that i dont care. its just so sad to talk to yourself.

You trying to tell me something?
perkyshadow
Bro: As always, you are my hero! I wish I could make it out there to give you a hand! Your ragtop is going to be ridiculously fast! Crazy! Thank you for being awesome enough to post such amazing threads! Seriously! I can't wait to see how this turns out!
kurt95gt
Looking good so far
perkyshadow
Please... More pictures!
njccmd2002
wish i could, competition sent me the wrong tob. Wont go in, so now im stuck. till monday..
njccmd2002
engine and tranny ready, newly painted brackets, and cleaned aluminum. Bolts torqued, and loctited..

DSCN1332

DSCN1335

DSCN1336

DSCN1337

DSCN1338

thought this was funny!!

DSCN1333

update, 09/20/17... while updating my pictures from photobucket disaster.... i really hate this clutch.....
Bitter
Do you have the all metal VVT lines or the metal/rubber VVT lines?
perkyshadow
That's what I'm talking about!
njccmd2002
QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 28, 2014 - 4:32 PM) *
Do you have the all metal VVT lines or the metal/rubber VVT lines?

metal lines, its a 2010 engine.... 25k miles. and a major update..

just because i was there... SS clutch line...

DSCN1347

Just kidding, here is the major update.

Credit goes to forgman. need to tweak the bracket... But Im using OEM Mount...

DSCN1349

Need to tweak, need to raise bracket some 3 to 4 mm. to get a good orientation.
richee3
That's awesome! thumbsup.gif
njccmd2002
thanks, not going to post pic of the mount, until its fully done. Its a bracket that needs to be made, and BTW all the cuts i did, now i have clearance.... YAY! one step closer...
Bitter
Looks like you can almost close the hood on it!
Smaay
cant wait till you get it on the road
Noahwhite2014
QUOTE (FORGMANN @ Sep 17, 2014 - 7:48 PM) *
Berto
Once you get running and then get power hungry again afterwards
i will have extra TRD S/C waiting as i now have 2 .. We all know 276 whp is never enough HP!!

HELL YES Supercharge it! (when you're ready wink.gif ) This v6 swap is going to be so sick and i can only imagine how great its going to feel. Not only just because all that extra engine biggrin.gif but because you're doing it with on your own! AWESOME MAN! kudos to you!
njccmd2002
QUOTE (Smaay @ Sep 28, 2014 - 10:16 PM) *
cant wait till you get it on the road

very soon

QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 28, 2014 - 10:15 PM) *
Looks like you can almost close the hood on it!

nope, you cant. but there is nothing fiberglass cant fix.

QUOTE (Noahwhite2014 @ Sep 29, 2014 - 4:33 AM) *
HELL YES Supercharge it! (when you're ready wink.gif ) This v6 swap is going to be so sick and i can only imagine how great its going to feel. Not only just because all that extra engine biggrin.gif but because you're doing it with on your own! AWESOME MAN! kudos to you!

it wont be a cheap supercharger... and so far, i gave up keeping track of how much ive spent, because its better not to think about it
njccmd2002
tack welded only/

B8C7B37B

Update 09/20/17 need to start making these for sale....

Smaay
what are we looking at here?
blockustomz
I love this build.. Thanks for sharing it with us.
njccmd2002
It is a bracket and its finalized.

04B2251A

its not pretty, but does the job, as for measures there are none, it was made trial an error.

this bracket allows the oem mount of the 2GR to mount in the Celica, using the stock GT holes.
this took 7 hours to build.
enderswift
The custom stuff is always the hardest. Good work
Bitter
Is that going to be strong enough?
perkyshadow
Dude... You are my hero, bro!
njccmd2002
QUOTE (enderswift @ Oct 5, 2014 - 12:42 PM) *
The custom stuff is always the hardest. Good work

tell me about it.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 5, 2014 - 3:10 PM) *
Is that going to be strong enough?

it actually just supports in the tall spots, the rest is just to mount to chassis. used 1/4 inch steel in the lumps...

QUOTE (perkyshadow @ Oct 5, 2014 - 4:46 PM) *
Dude... You are my hero, bro!

you want to see more pron!

here is the bracket mount placed.....

2DE07E6B

here is the mount attached... note is not complete..

93CD499A

started a little extension

E04F6BDC

fit test...

AE7B6896

after another 3 hours, of thinking and evaluating. here is the final product.... hi res pic....

DSCN1353

here is another pic of the bracket, unpainted...

DSCN1351

so now its official, its fully mounted, now to sort other things....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.