Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gathering info for a 5S-FE rebuild!!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
doory100
Hello I have a 1995 celica GT st204 with a 5sfe engine. I have decided to not swap the beams because of the lack of parts that are readily available in canada and the USA. Also I like having the ability to get used parts from kenny u pull from a camry or on the rare occasion a celica for dirt cheap!! Another reason is turbo charging the 5sfe would produce more or equivalent power at less of a cost thanks to ebay turbo kits.

My head gasket needs replacing. The engine is almost at 400,000km (248500mi)
I have good power overall. Engine does not seem to lack power.
I am just wondering what else I should replace. while the head is off?
I work at Virtucom custom sheet metal shop and we have a surface grinder. Would that be significant for machining the head?
Also has anyone bought a gasket set off ebay they have one with bolts for $60usd. dealer wants $100 just for the head gasket!!
Also will a 98 camry head gasket work on my engine it looks almost similar and its metal not graphite.

I don't plan on taking the engine out because I don't want to. I really just need the oil leak to stop.
I am thinking of putting adjustable camgears but cant seam to find any that will fit my engine.
VavAlephVav
if you're taking the head off go ahead and put a timing belt kit with the pulleys and water pump while you're at it.
just make sure the head gasket it MLS multi-layered steel. which is why people get the 98 camry one from the dealer but after market companies will have the mls ones.
ther's several to choose on sites like rockauto.com or if you want a nice one you can get the Cometic gasket.
they say if you put a metal ruler across the mating surface of the head and you can squeeze a 0.5mm feeler under it that is warped.
I don't remember the proper spec for shaving the head, im sure it's not very much.
doory100
I did the timing belt and water pump at 370,000. Because the oil pump seal was leaking.
I think they said it was 20 thou max off the head.
Do you think I'll need to change the o rings on the pistons at all.
Not burning oil or anything.
also does any one know any adjustable cam gears that fit the 5sfe engine??
doory100
Will a 98' 5sfe head fit my 95 5fse? I want to get one from the junk yard and have it ready to install. Plus I heard it was thicker??
VavAlephVav
imo you don't have to do pistons and rings unless you really want to.
Smaay is the pro with stuff like that, you could ask him about what cam grind he uses.
Smaay
the heads are the same. there are on O-rings on the pistons. they are steel compression rings. and no you dont have to change them if you are not burning oil.
doory100
ok thanks guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.