Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
Box
I'm guess the fog was set to high? Looks like will be a nice addition if you can get them mounted easily enough.

Side note I fking hate fibro... Left knee started fluttering today and got so bad by the time I was backing in at home I couldn't use my leg at all to modulate the clutch. Sure enough the patellar tendons are swollen... It's not like the clutch is that heavy either, no heavier than what was in the Celica anyway. Then again the Celica would give me fits occasionally too. Meh, I'll continue to be a stubborn ass and keep driving manuals.
Bitter
Too high? That's the test wall in my basement buddy, like the casting couch but for lights. laugh.gif
Box
I meant to high, since they're a bi-xenon/halogen there's a low and high solenoid cutoff?
Bitter
Oh, no, just ****ty photos from my iPotato. The beam bows slightly in the center, I'll get some HID bulbs to try with them in a week or two, gotta spread out the spending.
Box
Ahhh ok, cause from the picture it looked like the high beam cutoff with how it peaked and sloped. Understand on spreading out the spending. Like if there's any hope of being happy and sorting the Firebird it's the $700 Watt's link conversion, but that's a fairly big gamble hoping it sorts all of my issues with it. I need to find someone local that's done the Watt's link conversion to see how it translates to real world driving, but allegedly the Watt's link even helps with binding. I know it'd take care of the shimmying and hopping over road irregularities because it keeps the axle perfectly centered at all times, but what about the binding when you take a sharp uphill or downhill turn. Based on how it works I can see it helping, but I want total elimination of binding which is probably unrealistic short of an IRS conversion. That's ok may have to sell the car anyway if I can't drive it...
cheela
QUOTE (Box @ Apr 25, 2017 - 4:27 PM) *
I've been happy with AT&T; have internet, phone, and TV through them and they give you nice discounts for bundling.

Also expected to get fibre optic internet as an option soon, hello 1 GB/S download speed. <3

I live out in the boonies so we got direct TV and century link....... not very good choices. lol

but yeah phone's a paperweight for now.
Box
I live in the middle of nowhere as well, even more so than where I was before surprisingly. I have a LG G4 and it started the boot loop BS, talk about literal paperweight...

So I ate my weight in anti-inflammatories and I think I got my knee to stop swelling, for now. It still feels like it's wanting to though, guess I'll find out tomorrow. The best way to describe the fluttery feeling is like the feeling you get when you have really bad butterflies in your stomach, but you're being crushed in a vice grip at the same time. Everyone keeps saying to stop being a stubborn ass and accept I have a health issue and get an automatic, but I'm a stubborn ass and I'll be damned before I buy an automatic. It's just aggravating... Like dealing with it wasn't bad enough but then everyone gangs up on you and says to stop being stupid and stubborn or that it's "just a car" or "Cars are just for getting to A to B anyway, why are you making it such a big deal?" kindasad.gif
Bitter
You just need to design some kind of automatic clutch system laugh.gif
Box
I've actually have thought about making either an electromechanical or electrohydraulic setup where the clutch is actuated by a spring loaded variable switch, I guess sorta the equivalent of DBW. That or probably the easiest thing to do would be to do a HydroBoost setup, but for the clutch instead of the brakes. After starting the LDN it really hadn't been posing an issue anymore, but anytime I get into a flare it decides to give me fits.
Bitter
About 2.5 miles in about 2.5 minutes.
https://youtu.be/MjkTElUSGeY
I think the audio is out of sync, I'll fix it later.

I'll just cut a new edit together in some other program I guess, this one was easy to use but didn't want to render out correctly for whatever reason.
Box
Road looks pretty smooth, would be fun in the Firebird. The ones around me would be more fun if they weren't like driving on 40 grit sandpaper with chunks ripped out.
Bitter
It's not too bad, the surface is real rough but smooth, like highly textured for traction, real coarse. I think they've cut in some ice grooves on it or something, but traction is superb on it, has to be if my slow ass can cut a time like that down it. I'll re-up once I figure out the a/v sync issues, I'm tired of messing with it for now. I could just send the files to my GF and have her do it for me but I'd rather do it myself and learn how so I don't bug her with the minutia and frame by frame bullcrap.
Box
Have plenty of traction, just all the roughness and irregularities upset the stupid solid axle. Though after talking to some that have done a Watt's link on their fourth gens it stops the shimmying and arcing that the panhard bar allows and causes. The only concern left would be if it stops or at least minimizes binding and hopping through sharp inclined turns, but one said it helped with the rear wanting to kick out on on-ramps and based from animated depictions of a Watt's link through suspension travel it should at least help. Apparently the FB RX-7 had a Watt's link setup from the factory, I found that interesting.
Bitter
Do it.
Box
Well I'm kind of at the crossroads of rather it's worth trying and spending the $700 or should I just sell it and buy something with IRS that I know I'll be happy with in terms of handling, but then the drivetrain would need work instead. I think a Watt's link would make me happy enough with the whole solid rear axle thing though since that is my only real gripe with the car, well that and the cheap dashboard but one giant hurdle at a time. Here are the three options at the moment as far Watt's links go:
http://midwestchassis.com/products/82-02-c...t-in-watts-link
http://www.fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_21_.html
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=product...&superpro=0

Though from what I've found the BMR center pivot point is poorly designed and everyone says go Fays or MWC, and supposedly UMI is coming out with a Watt's link soon that's supposed to have lots of adjustability.
Bitter
We have a new (I think new?) customer with a 81 that I mounted some tires today that autocrosses and road races his (LS swap and T56), he mentioned his watts link, I should be seeing the car friday so I'll ask him about what he's got.
Box
I think I know who you're talking about:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybr...1-trans-am.html

If not it's highly coincidental. As far as road racing and autocross the F-body can be extremely competitive and win, Sam Strano is a great example of that. It's just the solid axle in the real world and me being spoiled by and used to independent rear suspensions that's the biggest problem. I get in it and drive it like I did the Celica so I'm going to make the solid axle rear its ugly head all the time. For what it's worth the Firebird does a better job overall than what the Miata did, the Celica still being the best though in terms of handling. I don't know why but it's true, the NA6 Miata left me unimpressed after the Celica and then after the Firebird even more so. That said I feel giving a NB1 Miata a chance would be worthwhile.
Bitter
yep, thats the guy.
Box
Since I couldn't sleep and had nothing else to do anyway I decided it was a good idea to clay bar the Firebird. First thoughts being Turtle Wax detailer sucks and isn't even good for claying, went through pretty much all 26 oz to do the car because it wouldn't keep the surface slick unless it was just soaked. Oh well figured was worth a shot and would be ok for that but again Turtle Wax proves how useless they are. Second thoughts being after claying it revealed at some point someone didn't know what the **** they were doing with a rotary because there are burn marks everywhere, and if I had to guess the clear peel is actually burn through... Sad because the paint that's not fubared is still nice, just after claying:

Also while claying I remembered how much I like the front end of the early fourth gen birds, so I took a picture:

For now it's time to sleep and will decide later if it's even worth bothering to do buffing and polishing, or just say **** it and go straight to wax since it's beyond saving anyway...
cheela
yeah i never liked turtle wax. meguiar's has been pretty good to me, the clay bar and the wax.

oh and polish yo rims!
Box
I was using a Meguiar's clay bar but had run out of their detailer.

I know I need to, been meaning to paint them and then cut and polish the lip with rouge.
Box
After waxing:

Now to sit down and die.
Bitter
Looks good to me, needs some C5 or C6 wheels tho.

Just kidding, like the blades.
Box
Yeah it was worth it in the end I suppose, just a shame about the burned through spots ruining it. That's ok 21 year old paint on a daily so just part of it I guess.

I had thought about some of the C5 or C6 rims but I really wanted 17's and I didn't want a freaking 5-spoke like everyone else in the world, so sawblades it was. tongue.gif I kinda liked them at first, but they've really grown on me over time. Most people hate them, but the ones that like them really like them. I think they look good on the early birds, better than on the C4 even. I will say I don't think they'd look good on a Camaro or later bird, something about the earlier front end makes them work.
Bitter
Got bored in the garage when the lights went out, got a video of the cacophony of light that is the Celica. Parking lights and hazards.
https://youtu.be/HqFj5qLOxPc
Box
All you need now is some ecstasy and some EDM and you're in for some good times.
Bitter
I got 1/2 that covered.

Door sills will be here Monday, but haven't ordered the 3M film yet so I'm not putting them on till then, but I may lay one in place for a photo op.
Box
Hmm, but which half. laugh.gif

I wonder if anyone makes door sill plates for the Firebird, being they're so huge would have a lot of possibilities there. That's ok so far down on priorities it doesn't even matter. I have a Watt's link to buy, I think I'll wait out and see what the UMI one has to offer before buying.
Bitter
Oh yea, Ebay $30 special came earlier in the week. I opened it last night and took a look. Thick thick flanges (need to check flatness), cheap gaskets but I think they'll be OK, welds look OK, flex is stiff but looks OK. I'm going to take the pipes to work to seal them with tape and smoke test for leaks at the welds and flex section and use a straight edge there to check for flatness. I need to slide the one pipe under the car to see if it looks like it'll fit or not.
Box
So like I said, worth about $30. tongue.gif Supposedly longtube headers makes it a lot easier to change spark plugs on my car, but then would have to redo the exhaust as well as getting a tune to delete the EGR and smog pump codes.
Bitter
Sounds worth it to me!

Supposedly I have no clue what these 4-2-1 headers will do for my car except get rid of my flex section leak and maybe make the exhaust sound a little different out of the stock muffler. I need to replace the muffler too btw, has some holes on top sealed with a slather of muffler cement for now. I'll probably get the 2 exit V6 muffler, fits the same as the 4 cylinder and it's almost the same price but flows more exhaust through it. I'll paint the whole thing with the header paint I used on the welds for the mid pipe, probably paint the header with it too. Not sure if I wanna wrap it or if I want to try to secure the OE heat shield to it with some stainless steel tie straps. Just want to keep from cooking the hood and radiator fans, so might just do radiant barriers.
Box
Allegedly headers make a 20-30 hp gain on the LT-1, I'm not used to things like exhaust or intakes making any appreciable difference to the power. That's ok I still want to do brakes and suspension before I even bother with the engine.

If it's a stainless header you shouldn't have any problems with wrapping it, but mild steel headers will rust away under fibreglass wrap. Could try reusing the o.e.m. heat shield or could make on easy enough I suppose if it won't work.
Bitter
I think I'll try mounting the OEM somehow, just don't want to mangle it up unless I can find a replacement one cheaply.

I laid the new, let's call it B pipe, under the car and roughly lined it up with the OE down pipe, looks like it reaches the cat flange at the correct angle, so that's cool I guess. I don't think I've got enough wrap left over to wrap it all the runners so I'll have to pick up some more I guess if I want to wrap it. I'll probably pop loose the OE heat shield and set it on the header to see if it'll fit with some tie straps or not. If it does then schwing, if it doesn't then I guess I'm wrapping it. Such a tedious itchy experience though....ugh.
Box
If you aren't already if you need more wrap might look into getting some of the exhaust tape made from basalt.
Bitter
Better yet
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-177004/overview/
Is exactly what I want. Just not for that price. Gimme about 1/2 that price. I don't want to cook the fans with radiant heat or cook the paint off the hood. There's this stuff but I'm not sure it'll work right for this?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-170001/overview/
My worry is under the oil pan is under the car and exposed to salt spray. I need some kind of stand off radiant heat shield for under the car but I'm clueless about where to get something like that. I could probably make something. Likely it would be a non issue, just need to worry about the fans/underhood. The Geo never had problems under the oil pan. Eh screw under the car. I still contacted and asked though.
Box
Hmm, might be able to find some more generic "turbo blanket" material to use for less money.
Bitter
maybe...
Box
Came across this with a quick search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINIZED-HEAT-BL...k-U&vxp=mtr
Bitter
i don't think that's made for contact with exhaust temps, but rather as a barrier to reflect heat away from not hot parts.
Box
Hmm, why you lie to me listing title. I'd just go with some basalt wrap and call it a day, can wrap each primary individually then wrap around the entire header to make a type of shield.
Bitter
I can only wrap down to the V where the runners come together and the space between the runner pairs is too thin for wrap on both sides so that's out. I could wrap them partially but not fully. I think I'll end up with the 2nd thing I linked and get some stainless steel picture wire from the craft store to tie them on with, costs a little more but it'll work better in the long term. As for under the oil pan I'll figure something out for down there, likely some kind of airgap solution, may be a DIY kinda thing.
Box
You could always take some aluminum sheet metal and make some shields, just quickly looking around on Amazon you can get a 24"x36" sheet for $22-26 or so depending on thickness. Perhaps do the wrap and then make a shield to go over it all. Then you could probably make a shield to attach to the oil pan as well.

I really should wrap my factory exhaust even since it gets hotter than three Hells underneath the hood, but for as much trouble as it'd be and the fact the cast iron manifolds would end up cracking I'll just wait for whenever I get around to doing headers.
Bitter
I'm gonna get that $40 thing but I'll put it on after the header is installed. Not even sure when that's happening, probably when it's in the air for the trans in the next month or something, waiting on consistent good weather!
Box
Hmm, I'd wait until replacing the trans since you have to take the exhaust out of the way anyway.
Bitter
No I don't. laugh.gif
Box
This is what happens when I make posts at 4 in the morning before going to sleep. laugh.gif Why does the weather particularly matter when you have a garage anyway?

Never mind just answered the question myself, guess you need to be able to drive the Celica in the Mazda's downtime. I forget the rest of the country doesn't have the same weather more or less year round.
Bitter
Yea, I don't like the Dunlop Z2's when it's wet and in the 50's. The Dunlop Z2's don't like it much either. Bad enough I can easily slide it around the first intersection in the morning, any morning, but make it cold and wet....fuggetaboutit. Went to a Celica meet ONCE when it was like that, on the high in the rain when it was cold out like that was sheer misery, felt like I was going to go sideways doing the posted speed limit, I was doing like 10 under and still didn't like it. Luckily it cleared up and warmed up a little and then things were OK but never again, I'd take all country lanes and do 45mph if I have to drive in that kind of weather again, the highway was scary.

Mazda tho, fine in any weather just not fun. I think I'm gonna go snap on one of the new door sills to get a picture and order some 3M film. I had them backward in my head, I guess Celica is at the back of the sill not front. Ooopsie, shows how well I know my own car.
1994Celica
Today my brother joined the Toyota family after his WRX spun a bearing. Brand new TRD sport 4Runner. I'm jealous haha.

Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ May 3, 2017 - 7:44 PM) *
Yea, I don't like the Dunlop Z2's when it's wet and in the 50's. The Dunlop Z2's don't like it much either. Bad enough I can easily slide it around the first intersection in the morning, any morning, but make it cold and wet....fuggetaboutit. Went to a Celica meet ONCE when it was like that, on the high in the rain when it was cold out like that was sheer misery, felt like I was going to go sideways doing the posted speed limit, I was doing like 10 under and still didn't like it. Luckily it cleared up and warmed up a little and then things were OK but never again, I'd take all country lanes and do 45mph if I have to drive in that kind of weather again, the highway was scary.

Mazda tho, fine in any weather just not fun. I think I'm gonna go snap on one of the new door sills to get a picture and order some 3M film. I had them backward in my head, I guess Celica is at the back of the sill not front. Ooopsie, shows how well I know my own car.

Next time you need tires you should try the BF Goodrich Sport COMP-2's, even though they're a summer tire even into the 50's isn't terrible. Yes there is a noticeable difference, but if you adjust accordingly you'll be ok and they warm up after a few miles. They're also fantastic in the wet, even with 9.5" wide rims on each corner there's hardly any hydroplaning. I even made it through the harsh Alabama winter on them in the Firebird of all things, though there was one time I got on it too hard and drifted through an intersection but it was controllable so it looked like I did it on purpose. laugh.gif Road holding was never an issue though, which is why I thought I could get on it a little harder than I had been up to that point. Which you could get the all season version and so long as there wasn't salt on the road you could definitely drive the Celica whenever you wanted.
Box
QUOTE (1994Celica @ May 4, 2017 - 12:11 AM) *
Today my brother joined the Toyota family after his WRX spun a bearing. Brand new TRD sport 4Runner. I'm jealous haha.

Nice, I wonder if they make any Subaru to Toyota vape machine adapters. Sorry, had to... laugh.gif So going from a WRX to a 4Runner is kind of a big change, why go to a SUV and not another sport sedan or even a sport coupe?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.