Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
Bitter
I'm popping the radio out and hoping.
Box
I just had an epiphany, I've realized that power aside I liked driving the Celica more. Well damn...
SwissFerdi
Today things came full circle. I picked up my mother's NC since she no longer needs it. This was the car that got me into Miatas almost ten years ago, and inspired me to buy a Mariner in late 2014. It'll be a good commuter as I can't seem to recharge the Celica's A/C and I don't want to mess with the LE's R12, so this car is a welcome break, even if (or since) it's auto. Thanks ma. thumbsup.gif
1994Celica
So is this thread becoming a Malta buying thread?
Box
A Miata buying thread, perhaps. Can always manual swap the NC.

So if I can just fabricate this into the back of the Firebird all will be well with the world:
Box
Speaking of the Miata and fabrication, apparently there's a swap kit for putting in the Jaguar AJ30 V6 that was used in a handful of Jaguars and the Lincoln LS. Best of all you can reuse the Miata transmission and the V6 weighs barely any more than the BP-ZE at around 300 pounds, and the weight gets shifted back some. 230-240 hp and 210-220 ft lbs of torque, bet that'd be lots of fun to drive. http://www.rocketeerltd.com/ Then there's one for swapping in a Honda J32/35 which also reused the Miata transmission, the J32 also doesn't weigh much more at around 300 pounds but the J35 is around 375 pounds. http://www.superfastmiatas.com/JV6%20Miata%20Kit.html All kinds of interesting possibilities out there.
Bitter
You mean the RWD Duratec Ford V6?
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Jul 10, 2017 - 11:13 PM) *

All the Miatas! There can never be enough. I would dissuade Box from buying one though as there's no way he will like it this time around, NB or not. On a related note, Mr. Box, my brother bought something you would like yesterday: 4-speed '68 with a 400 swap, blue over black with rally wheels and straight pipes. I'm excited to see it.
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 11, 2017 - 7:35 AM) *

I supposed they're related since that's the time Ford owned Jaguar.
Box
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jul 11, 2017 - 8:41 AM) *
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Jul 10, 2017 - 11:13 PM) *

All the Miatas! There can never be enough. I would dissuade Box from buying one though as there's no way he will like it this time around, NB or not. On a related note, Mr. Box, my brother bought something you would like yesterday: 4-speed '68 with a 400 swap, blue over black with rally wheels and straight pipes. I'm excited to see it.

I think I might, the biggest problem with the one I got that even though it was in decent shape it was just worn out at 200K miles. Straight line performance I was fine with, ironically it was the handling feel that bothered me the most. Combination of 14's with crappy all seasons and stock suspension there was more body roll than the Michelin Man. I think a NA8 with the FM brace or the NB2 on some 15x8 with good summer tires, FM or RB sways, and then coil-overs I'd be happy. That and getting one with 100K miles or less on it so the chassis is in better shape. I'm not happy with the Firebird because of the solid axle and never will be, anything else has more cons than the Miata or is way out of budget constraints so if I'm not happy with the Miata I'll just give up on cars entirely at that point.

I really like the '67-68 Firebirds, it'll be fun with the 400 4-speed should the 400 not be a later smog motor or it was suitably modified. Hopefully it has a 481988 casting and not the later 500557 since the earlier ones were a lot stronger.
Bitter
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 11, 2017 - 5:50 PM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 11, 2017 - 7:35 AM) *

I supposed they're related since that's the time Ford owned Jaguar.

They're more than related, they're first cousins from a backwoods applachian family. :lol:
Box
So long as it's reliable enough that's all that matters, seems like would have more than enough power for a Miata. Which that makes me wonder about swapping it into a RX-8 as well.
Bitter
They seem to be fairly OK engines once you change all the intake gaskets.
Box
Hmmm would do a refresh before swapping it in anyway.

So since Ferdi and my brother keep saying I won't like a Miata for whatever reason I've been trying to think of other RWD cars with LSD and IRS to buy instead, but there aren't any except for the Corvette and Z car or it's some expensive car or the RX-8. So I'm going to ignore everyone and get a Miata anyway and if I don't like it then everyone can say they told me so then. I honestly don't see how I wouldn't like it after doing sway bars, rims&tires, and coil-overs as that should address my biggest issue with them which was the body roll.
Bitter
Then we'll hear 'my back hurts cause the car is too stiff/small/low' and 'i miss torque'
Box
Well my back hurts all the time now along with the rest of me, so that's a moot point. Missing torque is legitimate, but I won't miss the solid axle either. I think it's a fair trade off. At least missing torque can be rectified easily enough with forced induction or an engine swap.
Box
If only it weren't red: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Toyota-MR2-/1...B24&vxp=mtr
Box
Yeah **** it, finally put the Firebird up for sale.
Bitter
LET THE 'SHOULDA GOT A V8' MEMES COMMENCE!
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 12, 2017 - 1:19 AM) *
So since Ferdi and my brother keep saying I won't like a Miata for whatever reason I've been trying to think of other RWD cars with LSD and IRS to buy instead, but there aren't any except for the Corvette and Z car or it's some expensive car or the RX-8. So I'm going to ignore everyone and get a Miata anyway and if I don't like it then everyone can say they told me so then. I honestly don't see how I wouldn't like it after doing sway bars, rims&tires, and coil-overs as that should address my biggest issue with them which was the body roll.

You're right in that the NB2 is a better option than your former NA, but with either you're still dealing with having to wind the motor out, that's what you do with a BP, and if you don't enjoy that there's little point to it. Test drive one anyway, along with an NC, they might suit as it's a lazier motor. I can shift a lot earlier and still be ahead of traffic.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 12, 2017 - 1:29 AM) *
Then we'll hear 'my back hurts cause the car is too stiff/small/low' and 'i miss torque'

This
Box
Well anything but a V8 really will need revved out, but it's just all compromise unless I get a Corvette. Honestly the solid axle is more annoying than having to rev an engine out, at least once you're up to speed the engine doesn't matter so much but the solid axle is a constant source of annoyance. I've come to realize momentum driving is my driving style as it were, and even though the Firebird does ok by manhandling it there's just very little confidence with the solid axle dancing around the entire time. I genuinely enjoyed driving the Celica more overall in retrospect. Maybe if I cared less about back roads and mountain roads driving and would actually use more than half of the Firebird's power when getting up to speed I'd be happier with it, but I shift out at 2,500 so I don't get a "display of speed" ticket or just a speeding ticket in general because first gear tops at 48 mph and second gear tops at 72 mph. So I could top first most of the time if the nose pointing to the sky and the LT-1 roaring didn't get me pulled over but then it'd be straight into fifth or sixth. Which part of that is great since I don't like having to rev out, but at the same time when I do want to there's really nowhere to do it.
Bitter
Momentum driving is really nice, but using your brakes is a lot faster. laugh.gif

My front speakers without EQ are flatter than my GF. Ugh. So flat. But at least there's some music going on.
Box
FLAT IS JUSTICE!
Bitter
lol wut no Justice sounds awful without any EQ!
Box
Well that one went right over didn't it. laugh.gif

Anyway I really like my Polk Audio setup, nice and neutral sound that's balanced and clear. If accurate reproduction is your goal they're hard to beat.
Bitter
I have speakers and amp, I need a head unit. I just plugged the front amp into the ipod directly for now as a stop gap for my dead kenwood till I buy another.
Box
Does the iPod not have a basic EQ? If you have a smartphone most of them have pretty decent EQ built in or can always add one via app, then just add some music onto it for listening to.
Bitter
I should look...didn't think to.
Bitter
just some preset eq's, can't get a eq that'll let me do adjustments myself as ios doesn't allow apps to stack on apps or something.
Box
Lame, but maybe there'll be something that'll suffice for the time being. My Walkman has a basic custom 3-band with separate bass control, does ok though I prefer having 7 bands at minimum and preferably 11. My Sony stereo has 7 which is just enough in my opinion, whenever it dies and needs replaced I'll opt for something with 11 or more. Then again if I had the money to blow I'd put in a standalone 32 band EQ because no such thing as too much control.
1994Celica
I a new gaming pc pretty sure mines about to crap out.
Box
My brother got a HP Omen not long ago, seems to really like it.

So looking around and I can't stop looking at the SW20 MR2, they just look so nice and I know I like them since I was able to test out my uncle's before he sold it. Only problem is finding a '94-95 for the passenger air bag, open diff can always be sorted later but not having an airbag is forever. I would say a MR-S but with a convertible might as well go Miata since they're easier to work, cheaper, and easy to find with LSD. I seem to have a thing for black cars with popup lights:
Bitter
Why do you need a passenger air bag?
rentaspace
Well have moved into the new place now, got most of the stuff in just a few more bits of furniture and the garage to transfer across now.
Caldina is also back and bumper has been painted. Haven't gotten it out of the bubble wrap yet lol.

narly_charley
QUOTE (rentaspace @ Jul 13, 2017 - 11:23 AM) *
Well have moved into the new place now, got most of the stuff in just a few more bits of furniture and the garage to transfer across now.
Caldina is also back and bumper has been painted. Haven't gotten it out of the bubble wrap yet lol.

Is your whole hose brick framed?
rentaspace
QUOTE (narly_charley @ Jul 13, 2017 - 10:29 AM) *
QUOTE (rentaspace @ Jul 13, 2017 - 11:23 AM) *

Is your whole hose brick framed?

I'm not sure lol
It is all brick, but no idea what frame it has.
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 13, 2017 - 7:12 AM) *
Why do you need a passenger air bag?

For passengers. Sure that's only 1-5% of the time and it's not like I'll be getting into an accident of my own accord, but I still want a passenger airbag for should it ever be needed.
1994Celica
Airbags add weight who needs them?!
Bitter
I think counting out an older car just cause it lacks a probably crappy 1st gen passenger air bag that's only going to break the windshield and protect an empty seat.
Box
Yeah that's true I guess, if it's like the 6th gen Celica the passenger bag wasn't that great and just went into the windshield instead of out towards the passenger anyway. Hopefully can find a MR2 with the hardtop or at worst the moonroof, for the love of all things holy no T-tops. To me hardtops just look a lot better than T-tops as well:
Box
Found something interesting in my searching, according to this service bulletin the S54 trans is supposed to use Dexron-II ATF and not gear oil: https://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota.com/19..._T-PG029-90.pdf
Bitter
Yea so? You'd be getting a turbo with the E153 anyway and then V6 swapping it. laugh.gif
Box
Hmm, maybe I can find one already V6 swapped.
Bitter
Isn't that one guy swapping his V6 into a good shell?
Box
Thought he was going to swap it into something else to change things up. Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfVnkFzeZk
1994Celica
Cut the back half of the sw20 and put the front half of a Celica on it. Twin engine AWD! V6 swap both for a "V16." Someone did something similar with an AW11.
Box
I think a MR2 with one V6 will be more than enough. tongue.gif
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 13, 2017 - 10:19 PM) *
I think a MR2 with one V6 will be more than enough. tongue.gif

Nah........I like the twin engine awd idea.
Bitter
I've always liked how the MZ sounds when it's cranking to start, it sounds like a sports car exotic engine.
Box
Perfect match to the SW20's exotic looks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.