Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
Box
God damn it I made the mistake of looking at suspension reviews for the Firebird:
As far as performance, the initial break in miles were done on the stock 16" wheels, which quickly established themselves as the weak link during hard cornering. Despite the less than ideal tire size, the car did show an improvement in grip. The most noticeable difference is the predictability of the rear end; it no longer dances all over the road on hard impacts, doesn't feel like it's playing catch-up with the front in turns, and doesn't feel like it's about to be ripped from underneath the car at the slightest hint of road imperfections.

After riding in some poorly set up cars (competitor's springs with non-adjustable KYBs, Sportlines with stock DeCarbons ), I was worried that I'd end up with either a harsh/jarring ride or a car that bounced down the road. Neither of these ended up being the case with this combo; in fact, the ride is actually smoother than stock. You feel the road, and there's no question that you're driving a performance car, but there is no jarring over stretches of road that I previously went out of my way to avoid. I finally feel like I can put my 17's back on without feeling like the car is about to split in half over every crack in the road.

That was with KONI shocks, Strano springs, and then an adjustable panhard bar. Question is if I can become happy with the feel of a solid axle, will that really make me happy enough with it to overlook the fact both my rear wheels are still connected to each other. Hmm... Or just get a MR2 that'll handle better anyway.
Bitter
too bad there's not a well established manual trans northstar fiero swap, that'd be a neat car too.
Box
Would have to be an '88 Fiero GT so it has its own suspension designed by Lotus and not crap reused off a Citation. I think you can do the Cadillac 4.9 with a manual easily enough.
Box

Still think I might like the MR2 more from an aesthetics standpoint, and I feel the MR2 would just be a better car and the only way I'd like the Fiero more would be with some kind of V8 swap.
Bitter
Those 4.5 and 4.9 V8 engines suck, in my opinion.
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (narly_charley @ Jul 13, 2017 - 11:29 AM) *
QUOTE (rentaspace @ Jul 13, 2017 - 11:23 AM) *
Well have moved into the new place now, got most of the stuff in just a few more bits of furniture and the garage to transfer across now.
Caldina is also back and bumper has been painted. Haven't gotten it out of the bubble wrap yet lol.

Is your whole hose brick framed?

Screw the framing, the man is showing off his sweet new garage. Congratulations!
rentaspace
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jul 14, 2017 - 10:41 AM) *
QUOTE (narly_charley @ Jul 13, 2017 - 11:29 AM) *
QUOTE (rentaspace @ Jul 13, 2017 - 11:23 AM) *
Well have moved into the new place now, got most of the stuff in just a few more bits of furniture and the garage to transfer across now.
Caldina is also back and bumper has been painted. Haven't gotten it out of the bubble wrap yet lol.

Is your whole hose brick framed?

Screw the framing, the man is showing off his sweet new garage. Congratulations!

haha thanks, first time having enough room to do anything in the garage xD
Box
Having room in a garage is the best thing ever.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 14, 2017 - 7:46 AM) *
Those 4.5 and 4.9 V8 engines suck, in my opinion.

I was thinking, I wonder if the LS4 would work since it was transversely mounted.
Box
"First gear is useless" I think, as I wheel spin and slide onto the highway at a 90º angle. Is it bad I was giggling instead of screaming? Perhaps.
Bitter
LS4 only mounts to automatic 4T65 or 4T85, it doesn't share the same bell housing as the other LS engines, according to my research.
Box
I saw something about the LS4 bolting directly to the F40 6-speed from a G6: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybr...speed-swap.html
Bitter
Oh, nice if it's true. That would make a heck of a Fiero.
Box
Indeed. Makes you wonder what aftermarket suspension is out there for them though, I suspect the MR2 selection is vastly superior though.
1994Celica
Ugh I've been bitten by the photobucket crap. I do not want to switch all my photos over to a new site........
Box
I think there's a way of downloading albums off PB, then can upload to Flickr. For the time being I'm not bothering moving anything that isn't embedded.
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 15, 2017 - 12:12 AM) *
I think there's a way of downloading albums off PB, then can upload to Flickr. For the time being I'm not bothering moving anything that isn't embedded.

I got my sig, I need to get that and some of the ones off my build thread and then I think I'll be good. It's just sad to see photobucket go to trash.
Box
I mean I understand why, but to give no advance warning so people would have time to go and sort things ahead of time was really crappy on their part.
Bitter
Yes. **** Photobucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU
Box
When you want to use your F-body for this:

But everyone uses them for this:
richee3
I know that feel.
Box
#TheFeels

It's just frustrating you know, just because a car has power seems all everyone cares about is punching it in a straight line. That's only giggle worthy so many times, slinging the car around twisty roads never gets old. I've been trying to find information on suspension so as to not sell the Firebird, but outside of the occasional autocross setup it's all ****ing drag racing. Nothing on mountain driving and/or momentum driving.
Bitter
I think that thicc n curvy road is in Italy.
rentaspace
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 15, 2017 - 12:43 PM) *
I think that thicc n curvy road is in Italy.

The one in Box's photo is in Romania I believe. Called Transfăgărășan
Europe is full of roads like this though.
Bitter
Where I live everything is on a 1 mile by 1 mile grid except when there's a river. Most of America is like this, that's why we only make cars to go in straight lines.
Box
That's what's aggravating, there's actually A LOT of nice mountain roads and back roads in Alabama as far as driving technicality goes. Same can't be said for the road surface itself, but at least it's something I guess. Like in my last town there was a mountain on the edge of town that was kind of like the road above, snaked its way all the way up to the peak and even had a 180º inclined turn(which the solid axle totally loved...). Then going out another way there was another really nice back road with tight technical stuff, and then off in the opposite direction off the same road there was a nicely paved road with long sweepers. Gah I miss where I used to live, three fun roads of varying flavour all right next to me. There's not much around here except for a couple of back roads that're so rough it makes the solid axle absolutely miserable.
Bitter
Just get a 7th gen Celica and copy my suspension, wheel, tire, and brake setup. You'd be happy except for needing to wind the engine out a bit more, but you get used to it.
Box
Bounce off that 8,250 rpm red line. Actually I've on and off considered a 7th gen Celica GT-S, RSX Type-S, and DC2 Integra.
Bitter
I don't have to get into lift to get satisfying acceleration, even with the automatic. Winding out to 6,000 is adequate, it's behavior is similar to a 1ZZ when under 6,000 but with a little more torque in the 4,000+ area it feels like compared to a Corolla.
Box
Hmm, that's good to know. I tried finding some videos on it but they seem to be nonexistent outside of one video of a GT I found. With a red line a little over 8,000 shifting between 4,000-6,000 wouldn't be bad, wouldn't feel like I was ragging on it. I should start shifting out higher on the Firebird but really no point in going past 2,500 for day in day out driving. Outside of the occasional romp to induce giggling and blow out carbon it never sees north of 3K. I will say it's really fun to rev it out in first and then let engine braking slow it back down, sounds just like being in a NASCAR. laugh.gif
Bitter
Hitting lift in a tunnel all the way to fuel cut sounds like some kind of nasty japanese motorcycle or 1/2 an exotic V8 laugh.gif It is a Yamaha designed engine, I think they may have actually produced the head too, I'm not real clear on that. It does say Yamaha on the timing cover though, like the V8's they did for the SHO's.

My suggestion would be to try to find someone with a GTS somewhat near you and ask them if you can ride in or drive it, you're considering buying one but you don't know how well you'll fit or whatever. Money motivates, I'd let someone test drive my car with me riding along for $50 or a good dinner, especially if they're a fellow car nut. If you're really interested I can make a post on Newcelica about it, let me know.
Box
Yeah I think Yamaha did the head at least for the 2ZZ-GE sorta like they did on the BEAMS 3S-GE and a lot of other Toyota engines of years past. I need to find some nice tunnels to run the Firebird through, would sound glorious running it up in first and letting it engine brake. Speaking of the Celica though, I want to know what happened to all the aftermarket suspension support to the 6th gen and for the most part the 7th gen too. KONI and Tokico have stopped making struts for them, Tein and Tanabe stopped making coil-overs for them. Like seriously... Of course all the aforementioned still make stuff for the Integra/RSX, Miata, or MR2. The Firebird has better aftermarket suspension support than the Celica... It's bad when KONI and Tokico are making shocks for an American car, but won't make them for a freaking Japanese sports compact.
Box
Speaking of fitting, the sobering reality that your 21" wide shoulders don't let you fit all that well into smaller cars. I was just thinking how my shoulder was up against the door panel of the Celica, and it was BURIED into the door panel of the Miata. Oddly enough I fit into the SW20 MR2 my uncle had ok. The Firebird is the first car where I'm actually nowhere near the door panel. From what I can find the 6th gen Celica has 52.4" of shoulder room, the NA Miata 50.4", the SW20 MR2 54", and the Firebird comes in at a cavernous 57.4". The 7th gen Celica is 52.6" so I'd probably be right against the door panel like I was in the 6th gen.

Hmmm the SC300 has 56" of shoulder room so it'd be fairly roomy. But yeah I had thought about offering people money or lunch/dinner in exchange for a ride along or test drive so then could test a car without feeling bad about it. Watching video reviews and reading reviews can only get you so far.
Bitter
Yea you might be. As for coil overs there's tien stuff floating around and it can all be serviced if you like tien. right now the best deal is to get BC and revalve it, their hardware is solid but the valving is so-so, revalved bc with swift springs makes a good set of suspension. I just have off the shelf BC, good enough for what I do.
Box
Yeah looking on eBay there are some Tein coil-overs leftover for like $1,400, the old Street Advance series. Can get the new Flex Z for an Integra for $830 or the same Street Advance series is $610... Same deal with the MR2 and SC300, $930 for Flex Z on the MR2 and $774 for Flex Z on the SC300. Freaking highway robbery to get old stock on the Celica.
Bitter
They weren't as common, look at production numbers for Celica vs the Acura models, drives up prices. Why MR2 is cheaper...not a clue!
1994Celica
Bought myself a pretty decent gaming rig last night. Could of built one but the price was good and this way I a peace of mind.
Box
Because MR2 is life. Actually I'm surprised the SC300 is the cheapest. From what I can find the Celica actually outsold the RSX.
Celica:
2000: 52,406
2001: 35,720
2002: 22,893
2003: 14,856
2004: 8,710
2005: 3,113
2006: 8
Total: 137,706

RSX:
2002: 30,117
2003: 24,292
2004: 21,940
2005: 20,809
2006: 16,996
2007: 296
2008: 1
Total: 114,451

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Jul 16, 2017 - 7:17 PM) *
Bought myself a pretty decent gaming rig last night. Could of built one but the price was good and this way I a peace of mind.

Wooo, what you get?
1994Celica
HP omen, I5 3.0ghz with an nvindia 1060 in it.
Box
I forget which model Omen my brother got, but it seems pretty nice. One of these days I'll get around to buying a new(er) laptop myself, but that's so down the priorities list.
Bitter
YOU JUST BOUGHT A NEW LAPTOP! laugh.gif

Wow, I'm surprised. I thought the RSX outsold the Celica.
Box
You know what I meant. tongue.gif

Indeed. I tried finding information on the 6th gen Celica and DC2/4 Integra, but no luck outside of ITR numbers.
1994Celica
My omen was the desktop model. I've never liked gaming laptops but that's just me. Anyway I'm glad I got since gaming is my other stress reliever.
Bitter
I need to modernize some computers and laptops around here, I hear DDR4 is pretty nice.
1994Celica
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 16, 2017 - 10:27 PM) *
I need to modernize some computers and laptops around here, I hear DDR4 is pretty nice.

Oh my it is!
Box
DDR5 is on it's way though.

So I could always get an old person's car:

Box
Actually for sedans either aren't bad, at least they're RWD with a manual.

*sigh* I think at times maybe I'm being too hard on solid axles, cars like the AE86 Corolla and the FB RX-7 have a solid axle. So does the first gen Supra and the first three generations of the Celica, aside from the third gen GT-S. It's just knowing that IRS is superior in every way except for simplicity and maybe durability, it's hard to get past that.
njccmd2002
you are too way complicated. overthinking. you will not enjoy like, by thinking what you wont like or will like if you dont try it.

you fought for your current car and now you are not satisfied? or you want a project?
Box
I do have a bad habit of analyzing things to death and overthinking everything.

I like everything about the car except for the rear suspension, most of the roads around here have really crappy road surfaces and sadly that means most all of the fun back roads and mountain roads. The solid axle becomes real apparent, you quickly reach a point where the rear axle hopping and dancing around becomes a limiting factor in how hard you can drive the car confidently.
narly_charley
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 14, 2017 - 8:28 PM) *
LS4 only mounts to automatic 4T65 or 4T85, it doesn't share the same bell housing as the other LS engines, according to my research.

The Magic School Bus!? Man... That show was my jam.
Box
Tried finding my Magic 8-Ball to ask it what I should do with my car situation, but I can't find it so the indecision continues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.