Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
1994Celica
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 20, 2015 - 8:40 PM) *
Tonight I pulled a Box. Goodbye Nissan, back to an all Toyota family!

Nice! I've always liked those.
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 20, 2015 - 7:26 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 20, 2015 - 1:10 PM) *
Waiting for parts is the hardest part. Definitely beats paying through the nose at a parts house though. So after more talking with myself I think I'd like a FC RX-7. Seems to be the best handling car of its class/time, and I've always liked how they look. The only downside is 25 mpg highway, which seems to defy the point in buying another car. Then again that's only 2-4 less than the Miata, MR2, or 240SX. If you put things into perspective the RX-7 gets twice as much as the Firebird and on regular instead of premium, so in that sense it's definitely economical. tongue.gif

But rotary reliability.... laugh.gif

The plan is to find one with high miles, then I know it's a winner. tongue.gif I just don't know about the 240SX, and really meh on the idea of another Miata. Outside of the impossible to find MR2 I can't think of anything else RWD and efficient enough.

Hey, only I can pull a Box. tongue.gif Now you need to update your siggy.
richee3
I never gave them much thought until a month or so ago. My Murano has been getting worse and worde so it was time to get something new. Saw a 4Runner and put them on my list of cars to look at. Then it became the only SUV I wanted to look at. This one is an '06 Limited, fully loaded, V8 4x4. Higher mileage than I wanted but I got a good deal on it and more importantly, I got rid of the Murano.
Box
Being the Murano is terrible from the factory I can only imagine. redface.gif
1994Celica
I've added something else to my list. I think a gen 2 camaro would be cool to have.
Box
Well, now you're just copying me for the most part. tongue.gif I like the '70-73 and '78-81 models, which you'll probably be looking at the later models unless you luck out on an early one. If you're not big into T-tops a hardtop will bring less money and you'll have one less thing to worry about rust wise, plus the chassis is more rigid. Personally I couldn't be happier with having the hardtop.
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 20, 2015 - 10:44 PM) *
Well, now you're just copying me for the most part. tongue.gif I like the '70-73 and '78-81 models, which you'll probably be looking at the later models unless you luck out on an early one. If you're not big into T-tops a hardtop will bring less money and you'll have one less thing to worry about rust wise, plus the chassis is more rigid. Personally I couldn't be happier with having the hardtop.

Well I was "inspired" by you. No but I think my chances of finding a sunbird are low so a gen 2 Camaro would be a nice compromise.
Box
Yeah, I knew there was a reason I had stopped looking. The good news for you it's a lot easier to find a Camaro than it is to find a Firebird, I'd always find a Camaro but I knew I'd regret not waiting out for a Firebird. Another one to look at would be the third gen Camaro, I've always liked a lot too for some reason. You get the advantage of TBI/TPI in later years and the option of a 5-speed plus the rear suspension enhancements. Still a fair amount of engine bay room, especially once you remove all of the silly smog pump and EGR garbage. The IROC-Z was one of the best handling cars of its time, not just domestics either mind you. Of course the TBI 305 is a slug, but then again it made as much power as a later model 350 in a second gen. The TPI 350 only came with a 4-speed auto, but it's decently quick. TPI 305 with the 5-speed is about the same 0-60 and such from what I remember. They're also a fair amount cheaper than the second gen, I've never been in one so I can't say as to the interior quality and such but from pictures it doesn't look too terrible. I actually would buy a TBI 5-speed just for the fact they get 26 or so mpg on regular. tongue.gif
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 20, 2015 - 11:15 PM) *
Yeah, I knew there was a reason I had stopped looking. The good news for you it's a lot easier to find a Camaro than it is to find a Firebird, I'd always find a Camaro but I knew I'd regret not waiting out for a Firebird. Another one to look at would be the third gen Camaro, I've always liked a lot too for some reason. You get the advantage of TBI/TPI in later years and the option of a 5-speed plus the rear suspension enhancements. Still a fair amount of engine bay room, especially once you remove all of the silly smog pump and EGR garbage. The IROC-Z was one of the best handling cars of its time, not just domestics either mind you. Of course the TBI 305 is a slug, but then again it made as much power as a later model 350 in a second gen. The TPI 350 only came with a 4-speed auto, but it's decently quick. TPI 305 with the 5-speed is about the same 0-60 and such from what I remember. They're also a fair amount cheaper than the second gen, I've never been in one so I can't say as to the interior quality and such but from pictures it doesn't look too terrible. I actually would buy a TBI 5-speed just for the fact they get 26 or so mpg on regular. tongue.gif

I've thought about those as well but if I go for something American I want something from the 70's.
Box
Hmmm. Really the only cool cars from the late 70's are the F-body and Corvette. Some of the early 70's cars are still cool, but just about anything past '73-74 is blegh.
Box
Found a 1986 300ZX, the only thing I can think of with them that's inherently bad is the engine bay space and needing the timing done every 60K. They're rated 26 hwy on regular with the 5-speed, so not terrible I guess. This one sadly has the digital gauges apparently, and T-tops.
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 21, 2015 - 2:24 AM) *
Found a 1986 300ZX, the only thing I can think of with them that's inherently bad is the engine bay space and needing the timing done every 60K. They're rated 26 hwy on regular with the 5-speed, so not terrible I guess. This one sadly has the digital gauges apparently, and T-tops.

But digital gauges are so cool!
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 20, 2015 - 8:40 PM) *

Congratulations, I love these. All five windows down is a cool driving experience, and I love the tightness of the interior, in a way that is like a raised station car instead of the monstrosities produced today. Reminds of the G series, a little bit.
Box
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Jan 21, 2015 - 7:18 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 21, 2015 - 2:24 AM) *

But digital gauges are so cool!

When they're working. tongue.gif
richee3
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jan 21, 2015 - 10:54 AM) *
Congratulations, I love these. All five windows down is a cool driving experience, and I love the tightness of the interior, in a way that is like a raised station car instead of the monstrosities produced today. Reminds of the G series, a little bit.

Thanks Ferdi! It's definitely more of an SUV than the little crossover Murano I just got rid of. The Murano was more nimble and responsive but I didn't buy an SUV for sportiness. I did opt for the V8 though. The interior looks cheap in puctures but it's actually surprisingly nice. I'm very satisfied with it.
1994Celica
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 21, 2015 - 7:17 PM) *
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jan 21, 2015 - 10:54 AM) *

Thanks Ferdi! It's definitely more of an SUV than the little crossover Murano I just got rid of. The Murano was more nimble and responsive but I didn't buy an SUV for sportiness. I did opt for the V8 though. The interior looks cheap in puctures but it's actually surprisingly nice. I'm very satisfied with it.

Is it the 4.6 v8 or the 5.7? Either way I'm sure it's decently quick.
richee3
4.7 liter 2UZ-FE. smile.gif And nah, it's pretty slow, but I didn't buy it for speed. I've got the Celica and the Supra for that. I've bought a couple of lower end SUV's in a row to take the place of daily driver, dog hauler, bad weather ride, and to keep miles off of the other cars. I'm getting tired of dealing with occasional problems from buying beaters so I figured it's time to sign up for some big boy car payments and get something reliable and something I like. Brigette didn't want one so she compromised and said I had to get a V6, base model, no leather seats or any extras. I agreed to her compromise and got a fully loaded Limited with navigation and a V8.
ClevelandGaint
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 20, 2015 - 9:40 PM) *

purdy!!!!i want one
1994Celica
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 21, 2015 - 9:15 PM) *
4.7 liter 2UZ-FE. smile.gif And nah, it's pretty slow, but I didn't buy it for speed. I've got the Celica and the Supra for that. I've bought a couple of lower end SUV's in a row to take the place of daily driver, dog hauler, bad weather ride, and to keep miles off of the other cars. I'm getting tired of dealing with occasional problems from buying beaters so I figured it's time to sign up for some big boy car payments and get something reliable and something I like. Brigette didn't want one so she compromised and said I had to get a V6, base model, no leather seats or any extras. I agreed to her compromise and got a fully loaded Limited with navigation and a V8.

Doesn't sound like a bad compromise haha. I'm sure she'll learn to love it.
Box
Just start calling it the Chelsea Tractor. tongue.gif I guess I've had fairly good luck when it comes to cars, the only one I've had that was unreliable was the 3000GT.
VavAlephVav
I don't like the Murano just because every time I get behind one it seems like there's some retard driving it.
Just a coincidence? idk.

but really, especially since I have this valet parking job where I get to drive all these new cars, I have to say I still like Toyota best out of all the (regular priced) cars I drive.
They just look and feel better and Handle way better than most everything else until you're ready to drop some coin on a nice Audi.

And I did finally get to park one of those new Jaguars with the shift selector nob that pops up from flush out of the aluminum trim of the console, freakn' dope.

cheela
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 21, 2015 - 7:15 PM) *

compromises make for a healthy relationship. laugh.gif
Box
Car parts day! Still have the spark plugs wires and oil pan gasket(just in case...) to wait for, but they should be here tomorrow. Provided the weather is decent and I don't feel like total Hell I know what I'll be doing this weekend... Maybe if I'm lucky the Firebird will get around 14 mpg instead of 12. laugh.gif Really you'd think churning 1,600 rpm at 55 and 2,100 at 70 it would get fairly decent... Then again I had found where even a stock '79 Z28 was rated for like 14 highway, but that was with the 3.08 final ratio. What I want to know is how people drive these things with a 4.10, even with the relatively modest power mine has it'll easily break the rear tires free with the 2.41 rear...

It's funny how much even throttle body injection really helps though, the third gen TBI 305 made as much power as the late second gen 350 and got almost twice the mpg. I really need to get around into reading what all is required in MPFI and SPFI conversions. Obviously SPFI would be the easiest as then I could use everything that's already there, and less wiring...but also less power than MPFI... Though I don't think either would like the current cam/low vacuum situation, so either tuning or a cam swap would be in order. If the tuneup gets it to stop reeking of fuel at idle then I'll know I've made some marginal improvement at least, though from what I've read low vacuum will cause the carb to just dump in fuel...
Box
It turns out the Veyron makes for a good fill in for the Firebird on the fuel economy site, I'm not sure how to feel about that. tongue.gif
Box
Spark plug wires and pan gasket have arrived, woooooo. Part of me hopes when I remove the plugs that're in there they're gapped out to something stupid so that explains the excessive amounts of fuel being thrown out of the exhaust. From what I've been reading a low vacuum isn't as big of an issue with the Edelbrock/Carter carbs as it is with a Holley, and for all practical purposes I have a 375 cfm 2-barrel until there's enough load to open the secondaries. So there's no real reason for it to be dumping out as much fuel as it is. I realize it's carbureted without cats, so it's always going to smell of fuel to a degree. You shouldn't reek of fuel within minutes of it running and be able to smell it from a few hundred feet away without any wind blowing though. Honestly I think the cam is oversized being the biggest contributor, but hopefully everything this weekend will make it livable.
Bitter
Or the plug gaps are too small...that'll cause issues as well. You want the biggest gap that can ignite the mix reliably. The biggest fattest longest hottest spark you can muster is the best spark to have. For any application where you want to make power and don't care as much about plug life. Way back when I used to mess with 2 strokes I was playing with a kitted 50CC engine that was recylindered and pistoned to 75CC which bumped compression to 14:1 from 8:1 stock. Swapping the wimpy stock ignition coil to one built for a VW/Porsche flat 4 that could throw a bigger spark allowed us to double the plug gap and the result was an engine that started easier when cold, blew NO smoke (2 stroke mix), and a huge increase in torque everywhere. Down side was the plug wore faster but who cares.
Box
All I said was gapped out to something stupid, that covers both bases. redface.gif Otherwise the only way to fix it is to replace the cam etc... Luckily it already has HEI ignition, so I should be getting as strong a spark as possible without going to purely race ignition.

That's ok, the least of concerns at the moment. Someone decided my mom's birthday should suck and decided to plow their beater Corolla into her Charger at 35+ mph. Thankfully she wasn't in it at the time and it's just the car... Going to go out and inspect it tomorrow, but it's probably totalled... It hit hard enough that it pushed the Charger around 90º and trans fluid poured out of it. Ugh...people...
Bitter
Yargh, and I'm sure the idiot that hit her has no insurance too. That's what worries me about my mother living in TN, all the half cocked idiots on the winding twisting roads down there, one blind curve with one blind idiot...
Box
She didn't have it on her, but her husband/boyfriend whatever brought it apparently. Yeah, it's done for. The front of the car is twisted over pretty bad, can't get the hood open. Looks to be structurally compromised, not to mention the damaged suspension, transmission bits, and cosmetics... Even though her car retails for $14,000 I'm sure there's more than 70% of that needed... Supposedly she said she was doing 35(30 is speed limit) and hit mud(only mud is if you ran off the road...) then lost control. Took down a tree at the edge of the yard and continued to do the damage she did to the Charger... 35 my ass... At least she was apologetic I suppose...
richee3
Today I spotted my old IS300, with yet another new owner. This time in the hands of a 16 year old kid. It was in good condition when I traded it off and now it's beat up.

I saw it about a year and a half ago and it was pretty rough then. Radiator had just blown and was poorly patched and it was drifted into a guard rail, denting the driver side rear fender and cracking the tail light. Seeing it today, the hood doesn't line up, new front bumper has cracks, cheap aftermarket headlights, mismatched tail lights to replace the broken one, same tired are still on it from when I traded it but beyond bald, the list goes on... Of course, none of that is the new owner's fault, but he's just a kid and doesn't have any idea what kind of problems he or his parents have just inherited. I can't say if it was definitely mine, but there was one that looked an awful lot like my old one at a transmission shop a few weeks back... So maybe at least he's got a solid transmission in it now. Sad considering the trans shifted great when I traded it off. The car has seen some serious abuse. frown.gif
Box
Just goes to show sometimes how well a car ages is more dependent on its owner than the car's quality. It's just mind boggling how fast cars can take a turn, for better or for worse.
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 27, 2015 - 5:13 PM) *
Just goes to show sometimes how well a car ages is more dependent on its owner than the car's quality. It's just mind boggling how fast cars can take a turn, for better or for worse.

Yeah it is. I mean I've had my civic for 6moths and it's already a million times better than it was under the previous owners care. It's just disgusting how people treat cars sometimes. Anyway I've narrowed down my Porsche alternatives to a miata or a 2nd gen camaro. Those are the two cars I want most.
Box
I say you need to know something about cars before you're allowed to operate one in public, sort of like you have to have a license to carry a gun. Then automakers would go out of business, but that's ok, it'd build character. So far I've done a decent amount with improving the Firebird, but I still have a long way to go until I'm happy with it...

Both are good choices, but with your current cars the Camaro would make for the biggest change of pace. If anything could probably sell the Civic for a Miata and you'd be set. I'd like to pick up another Japanese sports car myself, it's what I'm used to at this point. I wouldn't mind another Miata myself, it'd make sense seeing as I have an entire car for parts...
HaysoosKreesto
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 27, 2015 - 8:36 PM) *
I say you need to know something about cars before you're allowed to operate one in public, sort of like you have to have a license to carry a gun. Then automakers would go out of business, but that's ok, it'd build character. So far I've done a decent amount with improving the Firebird, but I still have a long way to go until I'm happy with it...

Both are good choices, but with your current cars the Camaro would make for the biggest change of pace. If anything could probably sell the Civic for a Miata and you'd be set. I'd like to pick up another Japanese sports car myself, it's what I'm used to at this point. I wouldn't mind another Miata myself, it'd make sense seeing as I have an entire car for parts...

At one point in Italian history, you had to know how an engine worked before you were allowed to drive a car. I.M.O. it should also be implemented here in the states.

Also... today I was infront of the new RAV4, and the grill on that thing behind me was mean, like just mean looking. I really liked it smile.gif
Bitter
Yoooooo Richeeeeeee
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread...0746#post790746

You know you want to.
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 28, 2015 - 12:36 AM) *

Yeah the Camaro might be a nice change of pace but it's hard to find one that isn't restored or in terrible shape. I can find decent miata's in my price range all day. Plus miata parts are really cheap, and I could always turbo it if I wanted more power. I really think I want a convertible, but I'm not sure yet.
Box
Yeah, that was always my problem in finding a Firebird. Either they're restored and out of budget, or they're huge projects. As long as you're not like me and your hair isn't half as long as you are tall, you should be ok with a convertible. tongue.gif It's why I never bothered with dropping the top on mine, I guess it's why most Miata owners are bald(ing). laugh.gif
Box
Changed the fuel filter and line on the Firebird. Previous idiot had too small of a line on it and the filter was angled where all of the fuel would drain back, not to mention god only knows how old it was... Anyway, just one more thing sorted out. Started to remove the stereo and wiring that was haphazardly in place. For what ever reason they cut off the plug for the speakers' wiring, and then routed wire out to the speakers anyway... rolleyes.gif At least the rest is intact...
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 28, 2015 - 2:20 PM) *
Yeah, that was always my problem in finding a Firebird. Either they're restored and out of budget, or they're huge projects. As long as you're not like me and your hair isn't half as long as you are tall, you should be ok with a convertible. tongue.gif It's why I never bothered with dropping the top on mine, I guess it's why most Miata owners are bald(ing). laugh.gif

I'm not balding but I am going gray kindasad.gif
Box
Better to have grey hair than no hair. I actually look forward to my hair going grey, then I can make the transition from Jesus to wizard. tongue.gif
HaysoosKreesto
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 28, 2015 - 7:28 PM) *
Better to have grey hair than no hair. I actually look forward to my hair going grey, then I can make the transition from Jesus to wizard. tongue.gif

LOL
JoshuaM
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Jan 28, 2015 - 8:48 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 28, 2015 - 12:36 AM) *

Yeah the Camaro might be a nice change of pace but it's hard to find one that isn't restored or in terrible shape. I can find decent miata's in my price range all day. Plus miata parts are really cheap, and I could always turbo it if I wanted more power. I really think I want a convertible, but I'm not sure yet.

No turbo.... KL V6 swap from a Mazda 626 or MX6 (or whatever the US equivalents were). Makes for a perfect weight distribution, good torque, very smooth power delivery and factory reliability (y)

Also, Box, I saw this and thought of you tongue.gif http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/02/0...huntsman-spider
Box
I had thought about the 2.5 V6 swap with the Miata, but apparently there's really not that much out there about it. A lot of work to get an extra 30-40 horsepower when going with a turbo setup is much easier and less expensive for more power. Of course there was a Japanese only 2.5 that made 200 horsepower that'd be worthwhile. That or maybe the engine from the Taurus SHO or Contour SVT, since they're pretty much Mazda engines anyway. Of course can always drop in a LS1 and call it a day. tongue.gif

I'm not opening the link, it clearly says giant ****ing spider.
Bitter
Didn't they have a supercharged KL too? That would be worthwhile maybe... FS-ZE is a cool engine too.
1994Celica
Decided Today just to keep the Porsche and fix it. I don't think I could bring myself to sell it. I predict a wrx engine swap for it in the future
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Feb 2, 2015 - 6:32 PM) *
Didn't they have a supercharged KL too? That would be worthwhile maybe... FS-ZE is a cool engine too.

Not over here that I'm aware of, but it could've been used in a more utilitarian vehicle that eludes me. I like the idea of an all aluminum V6 with 200+ naturally aspirated horsepower for the Miata. Faster, lighter, more balanced, and sounds better. tongue.gif The only thing missing would be for it to be a liftback and I'd be set.

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Feb 2, 2015 - 6:58 PM) *
Decided Today just to keep the Porsche and fix it. I don't think I could bring myself to sell it. I predict a wrx engine swap for it in the future

Quitters never win. tongue.gif Can't really blame you, the whole car buying/selling process sucks. I'd totally buy a 924 or 944 if weren't for the fear of German engineering nonsense and exorbitant replacement parts.
njccmd2002
Id get a ford fiesta! If i were box
1994Celica
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Feb 2, 2015 - 10:29 PM) *

They're pretty fun cars. Id drive an st version.

And German parts do suck, I wish they could be like civic parts
Box
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Feb 2, 2015 - 8:29 PM) *

It's like you don't even know me. redface.gif The only domestics I like are RWD coupes. That does remind me of a car I had forgotten about though, the Fiero. Of course only the '88 GT is worth a damn, but that's ok.
Bitter
But the Fiesta is just a Mazda...so it's OK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.